Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I feel bringing Getz back in a limited role can't really be a thing. He should be playing 11-12 minutes this year but because of a combination of Getz/machismo and Eakins/trying to save his job he's been run into the ground. Unless Verbeek hires a stronger coach and Getz agrees to that type of role I'm skeptical.

I don’t think it’s on Getz. There was an interview with him on missin curfew earlier in the year when he was red hot and he implied that he was playing too many minutes (can’t remember the exact quote think he said he mentioned to Eakins he couldn’t keep playing 20+ a night) then and wasn’t sure how long he could keep logging them for. Sure enough look what happened.

Didn’t Stephens also mention last off-season that Murray said after this year he could see him come back in a 3rd or 4th line role?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I don’t think it’s on Getz. There was an interview with him on missin curfew earlier in the year when he was red hot and he implied that he was playing too many minutes (can’t remember the exact quote think he said he mentioned to Eakins he couldn’t keep playing 20+ a night) then and wasn’t sure how long he could keep logging them for. Sure enough look what happened.

Didn’t Stephens also mention last off-season that Murray said after this year he could see him come back in a 3rd or 4th line role?
I don’t see the point he brings very little to the team after the first 20ish games, I’d rather just move on from him

Reactions: snowave

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I don’t see the point he brings very little to the team after the first 20ish games, I’d rather just move on from him
Things might be different if Eakins hadn't used him as a 1C. Looking at his game logs, there are way too many games where he plays 20+ minutes. No wonder he slows down and gets nagging injuries.

I believe Getzlaf could be useful in a lesser role, but the coach would need to understand Getzy's limits and use him accordingly. What we are seeing right now are the results of a boneheaded misuse.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Yeah well you’ve made that clear. A lot of this forum just turns on a player as soon as they lose their wheels and ignore context and all the other under-appreciated parts to their game that they still bring even though they can’t skate as well as they used to.

Also this is a franchise legend, we aren’t just moving on from him (especially given how barren this team is of veteran leadership right now). If he wants to play he will play, his role will need to be adjusted but he brings so much to the table still that can’t be measured on a stat sheet.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Anyone remember the specifics about his performance bonuses this season? I think it was based on games played, but I can't find anything on capfriendly to confirm. Would hate to see him miss out on $1.5 million just because he was ran into the ground by Eakins.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah well you’ve made that clear. A lot of this forum just turns on a player as soon as they lose their wheels and ignore context and all the other under-appreciated parts to their game that they still bring even though they can’t skate as well as they used to.

Also this is a franchise legend, we aren’t just moving on from him (especially given how barren this team is of veteran leadership right now). If he wants to play he will play, his role will need to be adjusted but he brings so much to the table still that can’t be measured on a stat sheet.
Ill give credit to him... he still can do a mean snot rocket... thats about it tho

Reactions: Duckcluck
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Anyone remember the specifics about his performance bonuses this season? I think it was based on games played, but I can't find anything on capfriendly to confirm. Would hate to see him miss out on $1.5 million just because he was ran into the ground by Eakins.

Won't be $1.5 million but about half that. Assuming it's a situation where he its whichever first four he hits he's seemingly a lock for three with a decent-to-good chance at the 4th and final one. The icetime one is locked up, the all-rookie team is a certainty, 35 assists is a lock as long as he's healthy and he's currently pacing to hit both 20 goals and 60 points. The team (rightfully) wanting to reward Troy Terry likely cost him a secured bonus for the ASG but hopefully it won't matter.

Drysdale should hit two(assists and TOI) with an unlikely chance at another(all-rookie team) and a small outside chance at two more(points and PPG).

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho

I think it's hard for most of us to disconnect emotionally from Getzlaf. I know he's been my overall favorite player of all time for the Ducks. However, at the rate it's going I think he really should retire.

That said, I'd probably be ok if they brought him back 1 more year for something a whole lot less than 4 mil, and keeping his minutes cut more than half of what they've been. Just not sure I see Getz playing 10 min a game. Guy seems to be all or nothing, and it doesn't help that our last couple coaches have insisted on continuing to play him like he's still 30 and a 1C.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There’s a pretty big disconnect here between not wanting big minutes out of Getzlaf and also expecting the team to still win. This team wasn’t deep enough for just one of those things to occur, as became blatantly obvious when he couldn’t play the minutes any more.

I feel bad for Eakins because he had to drive Getzlaf into the ground to get those wins but at the same time it’s now made Getzlaf almost redundant. What I don’t like is now that Getz is back and isn’t quite himself he’s still giving him minutes in the mid to high teens.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I feel bad for Eakins because he had to drive Getzlaf into the ground to get those wins but at the same time it’s now made Getzlaf almost redundant. What I don’t like is now that Getz is back and isn’t quite himself he’s still giving him minutes in the mid to high teens.
I thought I heard his latest injury is a bone bruise? That isn’t even an overuse injury, it’s just bad luck. Getting old sucks.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This whole team has sacrifices because we lack talent. Drysdale is in a peculiar situation too. His body isn't quite ready for the NHL, but he's part of our first pairing unit b/c we lack talent this year.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
thought it was a cool thing that both coaches started getz/perry and even cooler that perry took the FO against him.....best part was perry won the draw.....cool little talking point they will have in retirement.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

A few things:

He mentions "wanting to do a little bit more in the management side of things but it hasn't really panned out this year as far as getting right into it...". It would be awesome to get Getzlaf on the management side.

He says he probably would have played 4 or 5 more years if he had gone to a different team. Also you can assume if the Ducks were better he would have kept playing.

Apparently Robby Neids was a monster chirper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad