Player Discussion Ryan Getzlaf

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
:puppy: <- my reaction watching him breakdown before our eyes....

Last edited:

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I want him to retire so bad. His body is just breaking down.
I love having his leadership around the young guys, but you have top feel for him.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Everytime he is dead stopped and has to turn and start skating the other way... I hurt from watching him try to get to speed.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
It's sad watching the decline. If it's about wanting to be "with the boys" just give the man an immediate front office job upon retirement.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i feel like he emptied all he still had left in the tank early in the season because he was chasing 1000 pts

the knee injury he's been dealing with+missing time due to covid just slowed him down even more

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I’ll give him the off-season to recover and then see how he plays next year. Corey Perry went from nearly assisted living status to a productive rent-a-vet after surgery.

Eakins, or whoever, will need to limit his minutes.

I’ll miss him, but he should consider following Perry and join the cup contending circuit… at least while he’s still able to lift the cup.

John

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
I’ll give him the off-season to recover and then see how he plays next year. Corey Perry went from nearly assisted living status to a productive rent-a-vet after surgery.

I’ll miss him, but he should consider following Perry and join the cup contending circuit… at least while he’s still able to lift the cup.

John
Perry is on the Lightning, Getzlaf is on the Ducks.... a little different scenario.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Perry is on the Lightning, Getzlaf is on the Ducks.... a little different scenario.
yeah, perry's numbers are definitely inflated a bit playing on that stacked TB team. although he was pretty damn good in the playoffs the last two seasons for dallas and the habs

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
yeah, perry's numbers are definitely inflated a bit playing on that stacked TB team. although he was pretty damn good in the playoffs the last two seasons for dallas and the habs
Yes he was a really good linemate for Caufield at the time.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It’s pretty clear his issues are injury related. I hope he rests up and comes back next year healthy. Put him in the right role from the start and he will be an asset again.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Yes he was a really good linemate for Caufield at the time.

he didn’t play with Caulfield at all, he played exclusively with Armia and Staal. A big part of his mini resurgence is that he’s been slotted on the appropriate lines, with players who play the same style as him. Do the same with Getzlaf and we would see a similar result.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
he didn’t play with Caulfield at all, he played exclusively with Armia and Staal. A big part of his mini resurgence is that he’s been slotted on the appropriate lines, with players who play the same style as him. Do the same with Getzlaf and we would see a similar result.
At all huh? Well you're very wrong :dunno:.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

It's a lot more wrong to act like they were common linemates, especially when the talk was about Perry in last year's playoffs. You clearly thought they were on the same line for that run and you're dead wrong.

Reactions: Paul4587

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

23 minutes is barely anything. I was specifically referring to the playoffs where Caulfield played most of his games (he barely cracked 10 games in the regular season) and Perry was one of his least common linemates, he played 5 minutes with him at 5 on 5 all postseason. Perry was almost exclusively with Staal and Armia, Caulfield was mostly with Suzuki and Toffoli.

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
I love Getz, but it's time. Keeping a guy around for leadership that he can't translate to his game on the ice is counter-productive, imo.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
It's time for him to retire. It's not fun watching him play and I doubt he feels great on the ice either. Kinda reminds of Selänne's last season. Just sucks watching former stars fumbling and failing around.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I know its really hard & sad :( because of all great memories from 2007 cup finals to all the playoff runs we've gotten out of Getzlaf but lets not be clouded by nostalgia and realize that this is probably the end of the Getzlaf era (as a nhl player) at the end of the season.
His front office career with the Ducks is the next stage of Getzlaf's career.

I think its harsh to say how he's performed lately because he's being compared to players much much younger than him but at his age now he's not helping them win games anymore.
Lets see how Henrique looks at 36 & 3/4 (Getz is 37 in May) and if Steel/Lundestrom will still be in the NHL at 36.
His decline makes me feel old because i'm also 36 & bald and seeing him being called old makes me feel old lol.
When i had hair i also spiked it up like Getz....late 90s to 2000s era nostalgia right there.

There is still a small chance imo that he could return next season in a limited ice time role that will keep him more refreshed and able to help the team more that way. 14 to 12 minutes a game will tire him out a lot less and he'll have more energy left on the ice.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013

John
the problem is that he can't stay healthy anymore. he's missed extended time due to injury each of the last two seasons and a guy with that much mileage in his legs and at his age isn't going to heal up as quickly as younger players do

he came into this season healthy and it didn't take long for him to get hurt again

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I know its really hard & sad :( because of all great memories from 2007 cup finals to all the playoff runs we've gotten out of Getzlaf but lets not be clouded by nostalgia and realize that this is probably the end of the Getzlaf era (as a nhl player) at the end of the season.
His front office career with the Ducks is the next stage of Getzlaf's career.

I think its harsh to say how he's performed lately because he's being compared to players much much younger than him but at his age now he's not helping them win games anymore.
Lets see how Henrique looks at 36 & 3/4 (Getz is 37 in May) and if Steel/Lundestrom will still be in the NHL at 36.
His decline makes me feel old because i'm also 36 & bald and seeing him being called old makes me feel old lol.
When i had hair i also spiked it up like Getz....late 90s to 2000s era nostalgia right there.

There is still a small chance imo that he could return next season in a limited ice time role that will keep him more refreshed and able to help the team more that way. 14 to 12 minutes a game will tire him out a lot less and he'll have more energy left on the ice.
I feel bringing Getz back in a limited role can't really be a thing. He should be playing 11-12 minutes this year but because of a combination of Getz/machismo and Eakins/trying to save his job he's been run into the ground. Unless Verbeek hires a stronger coach and Getz agrees to that type of role I'm skeptical.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I feel bringing Getz back in a limited role can't really be a thing. He should be playing 11-12 minutes this year but because of a combination of Getz/machismo and Eakins/trying to save his job he's been run into the ground. Unless Verbeek hires a stronger coach and Getz agrees to that type of role I'm skeptical.
True. Was thinking he could pull a Matt Cullen and be a 4C for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad