RW Zachary Senyshyn - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2015, 15th, BOS)

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
It's really ironic that Zach and the other 2 guys and the Bruins ended up with a decent player in DeBrusk but the next 3 guys are all potential stars and maybe even superstars in Barzal, Connor and Chabot.

Getting Carlo at 37 was the only half saving grace of this draft for the Bruins

it was a horrible even with carlo. It would have been an unmitigated disaster without him. I already will never forgive sweeney for that draft, just horrible. I cant even fathom what my feelings would be without carlo..and carlo isnt even that good! Hes just an nhl defensemen a la karl alzner and thats what people cling too. Its all we can hope for with his draft picks 95% of the time. Just give us someone who can take a shift and not make terrible decisions! The bar is so low!

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
it was a horrible even with carlo. It would have been an unmitigated disaster without him. I already will never forgive sweeney for that draft, just horrible. I cant even fathom what my feelings would be without carlo..and carlo isnt even that good! Hes just an nhl defensemen a la karl alzner and thats what people cling too. Its all we can hope for with his draft picks 95% of the time. Just give us someone who can take a shift and not make terrible decisions! The bar is so low!

Carlo is alot more than a Karl Alzner but sure your point stands an all time disaster draft for Boston but even then they got 2 very usefull players out of it.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Carlo is alot more than a Karl Alzner but sure your point stands an all time disaster draft for Boston but even then they got 2 very usefull players out of it.

Which Alzner are we talking about? This version? Or the one which was a top 10 defensive dman in the league? Because Carlo isn't anywhere near as good as prime Alzner.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Which Alzner are we talking about? This version? Or the one which was a top 10 defensive dman in the league? Because Carlo isn't anywhere near as good as prime Alzner.

id say carlo is a top 10 stay at home defensemen in the league, and id be very surprised if you can name 10 dmen in the league who are more dominant than carlo in their own zone and just as uselesss in the opponents

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
id say carlo is a top 10 stay at home defensemen in the league, and id be very surprised if you can name 10 dmen in the league who are more dominant than carlo in their own zone and just as uselesss in the opponents

Well, that's an absurd caveat. And no, I don't think he is a top 10 defensive defenseman in the NHL as Alzner was, not even close to it to be honest. And when I'm talking about defensive defensemen I'm not limiting the discussion to guys who are "stay-at-home" guys devoid of any puck-moving ability, I'm talking about guys like Vlasic of years past as well. Exceptional defenders first and foremost, but they can be good/great elsewhere as well.

Carlo might be a top 10 stay at home D, but he sure as hell isn't top 10 in terms of defensive ability among all NHL defensemen.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013

Barzal and Connor would have been the 2nd line and potential first liners for the next decade. The funny part is that they were rated as the best available players! Sometimes being the smartest person in the room doesn't pay off. Sweeney should have just autodrafted his team. Senyshin was rated as a mid to late 2nd rounder at the time of the draft.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Barzal and Connor would have been the 2nd line and potential first liners for the next decade. The funny part is that they were rated as the best available players! Sometimes being the smartest person in the room doesn't pay off. Sweeney should have just autodrafted his team.

It's funny because alot of B's fans try to excuse 2015 because we drafted McAvoy and Pastrnak.
McAvoy and Pastrnak were clear best player available at their draft slots. McAvoy less obvious at the time but the pick was nowhere near a reach. Pastrnak fell to them due to injury concerns and was going to be taken at any time.

So they applaud Sweeney for taking the best player available, but can't hold it against him when he botched a first round pick by reaching hard.

Just makes zero sense. Botching this pick with an extreme reach coupled with the lack of other prospects in the system has set this team back.

We've been needing a top 6 producer for years and Sweeney lost out on 2 cost controlled (Barzal/Connor) because of whatever his reasons were. Add on top his failings to get Krejci a winger via trades, all of this during our Bergeron Cup window. Unforgivable and he'll never recover from that. I won't be surprised if he's canned in less than 2 years. That GM of the year award was a joke.

Last edited:

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
It's funny because alot of B's fans try to excuse 2015 because we drafted McAvoy and Pastrnak.
McAvoy and Pastrnak were clear best player available at their draft slots. McAvoy less obvious at the time but the pick was nowhere near a reach. Pastrnak fell to them due to injury concerns and was going to be taken at any time.

So they applaud Sweeney for taking the best player available, but can't hold it against him when he botched a first round pick by reaching hard.

Just makes zero sense. Botching this pick with an extreme reach coupled with the lack of other prospects in the system has set this team back.

We've been needing a top 6 producer for years and Sweeney lost out on 2 cost controlled (Barzal/Connor) because of whatever his reasons were. During our Bergeron Cup window no less. Unforgivable and he'll never recover from that. I won't be surprised if he's canned in less than 2 years. That GM of the year award was a joke.

100% agree with this. He had 3 chances to draft at the very least one of Barzal or Connor. If he just drafted one it would have been an excellent draft. Senyshyn was set up to fail ever since the Bruins reached for him.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

That's debatable, I just doubt that Boston is going to walk away from Carlo at age 29 like Washington did with Alzner

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Keep telling yourself that, Senyshyn is playing outstanding now that he is over his appendectomy and mono from the summer. Meanwhile Brazal is piling up the goals , 4, since he has returned to the WHL. Great number, perimeter player with no.physical play to his game. Reminds me of jets fans raving about Kyle Connor, finally gets sent to the AHL and they claim he will light it up, yup, he sure has, 4 goals 4 assists and -10, another perimeter player who has no physical game but everyone looks at his points in the NCAA, little difference between this leagues. He will disappear within three years, Europe here he comes.

This aged well.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

We've been needing a top 6 producer for years and Sweeney lost out on 2 cost controlled (Barzal/Connor) because of whatever his reasons were. Add on top his failings to get Krejci a winger via trades, all of this during our Bergeron Cup window. Unforgivable and he'll never recover from that. I won't be surprised if he's canned in less than 2 years. That GM of the year award was a joke.

Chiarelli drafted pastrnak, not sweeney #neverforget
In fact sweeney was the one guy in the room that convinced them all not to trade up for pastrnak, thinking he’d still be there in the 20s. I wonder if he still would take that gamble today knowing how good pastrnak turned out?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Well, that's an absurd caveat. And no, I don't think he is a top 10 defensive defenseman in the NHL as Alzner was, not even close to it to be honest. And when I'm talking about defensive defensemen I'm not limiting the discussion to guys who are "stay-at-home" guys devoid of any puck-moving ability, I'm talking about guys like Vlasic of years past as well. Exceptional defenders first and foremost, but they can be good/great elsewhere as well.

Carlo might be a top 10 stay at home D, but he sure as hell isn't top 10 in terms of defensive ability among all NHL defensemen.

What else was alzner good/great at besides playing defense?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
He was a top 10 player when it came to playing defense all players included. Carlo is top 10 if you look only at players devoid of offensive talent.

I think strictly defense carlo is top 10. And alzner Was/is also a no offense guy.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
Keep telling yourself that, Senyshyn is playing outstanding now that he is over his appendectomy and mono from the summer. Meanwhile Brazal is piling up the goals , 4, since he has returned to the WHL. Great number, perimeter player with no.physical play to his game. Reminds me of jets fans raving about Kyle Connor, finally gets sent to the AHL and they claim he will light it up, yup, he sure has, 4 goals 4 assists and -10, another perimeter player who has no physical game but everyone looks at his points in the NCAA, little difference between this leagues. He will disappear within three years, Europe here he comes.
I've been wrong a lot in life but never this wrong . But hey, prospects are really tough to gauche gauge.

Reactions: TGWL

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
At what age was Alzner a top 10 defensive dman? Like 27?

Carlo is 23. He already has 297 games
At age 23, Alzner had 133 games.

Carlo could get there
Agree, Carlo could get there and he's really not thaaaat far off. There's just a lot of great defensemen in the league to be claiming top 10 and every list is arbitrary.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
So, regarding Senyshyn, is he pretty much in bust category at this point or is there still hope?
there's hope as long as you don't expect the moon from him or track him like a lottery pick. odds are he can still carve out a middle six career which isn't that bad but matched with his lofty draft position is a little disappointing.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
there's hope as long as you don't expect the moon from him or track him like a lottery pick. odds are he can still carve out a middle six career which isn't that bad but matched with his lofty draft position is a little disappointing.

Sounds like a guy that needs a fresh start. Maybe the Bruins injury issues will present opportunity, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00