RW Zachary Senyshyn - Sault Ste Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2015, 15th, BOS)

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Chiarelli drafted pastrnak, not sweeney #neverforget
In fact sweeney was the one guy in the room that convinced them all not to trade up for pastrnak, thinking he’d still be there in the 20s. I wonder if he still would take that gamble today knowing how good pastrnak turned out?

If Chiarelli was listening to Sweeney as to what to do with his draft selection, wouldn't that mean Sweeney should get the credit? Don't really care either way but your post seems to contradict itself.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
If Chiarelli was listening to Sweeney as to what to do with his draft selection, wouldn't that mean Sweeney should get the credit? Don't really care either way but your post seems to contradict itself.
No it doesn't. If Sweeney didn't want to trade up it is because he didn't think Paternak was good enough to go top 20 in the draft. The others were right about him and were afraid he would go before their pick.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

i always give the gm the credit for the pick. Just like they get the blame. Sweeney was on chiarellis staff so chiarelli would have been blamed if they had missed out on pastrnak for listening to sweeney. But just because the gm gets blamed for bad decisions at the draft does not mean his advisors who give bad advice are free of repercussions

Reactions: wetcoast

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

Hiring (and listening to) the right people is a skill in itself, I mean we have heard stories about how most Oiler scouts didn't want Yakupov but the decision was over their heads.

I think we need to realize its a group effort and the blame/credit can't usually be pinned on one sole individual in decisions like this

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
Would like the guy to start developing but he's hit his ceiling. Neve quite turned the corner like they thought he could but has youth on his side and hopefully he can live up to original expectations???

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Would like the guy to start developing but he's hit his ceiling. Neve quite turned the corner like they thought he could but has youth on his side and hopefully he can live up to original expectations???

The ship on him has sailed he is a fringe NHLer and that's his ceiling.

Peachkings1922

Aug 13, 2022
Grimsby
The ship on him has sailed he is a fringe NHLer and that's his ceiling.
I always thought that it was a strange pick, could have picked him up in the 2nd or 3rd Rd? Was he ever on any mock drafts in the 1st? Not all picks live up to expectations and this is a proof.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Original expectations are long gone. His best bet now is a 4th line speedy player like a Dan Paille

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad