RW Owen Tippett (2017, 10th, FLA)

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
One of the flags on Suzuki is lack of high-end skating for a guy his size. It's not Vilardi bad, but Vilardi is 6'3 200 who can use his strength to create separation. Vilardi is the best prospect in the OHL in my opinion outside of Dylan Strome and possibly Sergachev and Juolevi.

I disagree on Suzuki. He's a very good skater. He does alot of reaching for the puck instead of keeping his wheels moving but I have zero concerns about skating. His weight ia fine. Still young enough to add an inch. Phenomenal hockey IQ...great shot...great passer. Top faceoff guy. Lots to like here. Top 10 talent in this draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I disagree on Suzuki. He's a very good skater. He does alot of reaching for the puck instead of keeping his wheels moving but I have zero concerns about skating. His weight ia fine. Still young enough to add an inch. Phenomenal hockey IQ...great shot...great passer. Top faceoff guy. Lots to like here. Top 10 talent in this draft.
I think he's a good skater for the OHL level, and has fairly good speed and acceleration. It will be fine at the next level, I just wouldn't put it down as a massive plus at the next level for his size. Outside of his shot, Tippett's size/speed combo is the biggest thing he has going for him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I know everyone is talking about Suzuki and his three points in Owen Sound's first playoff game, in which OS scored 9 goals overall.

Perhaps lost in that discussion, Tippett had 4 points (1 g, 3 A) and was a +3 with 5 SOGs in a 6-2 victory for Mississuaga over Ottawa.

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
From what I've heard and seen, the IQ is questioned and he lacks compete at times, it's just how weak this draft is that makes him almost a sure thing top 10 in the class. For example, I don't think he's a better prospect than Keller, A. Nylander, and Jost.

I think he is better prospect than Jost,Nylander would be debatable. I think he would go higher than both of them b/c his skillet is do hard to find.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I see his upside as Evander Kane who has hit 30 once in the NHL. I guess 40 is possible for Tippett if all goes well and he gets a great center. Seems very optimistic.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I see his upside as Evander Kane who has hit 30 once in the NHL. I guess 40 is possible for Tippett if all goes well and he gets a great center. Seems very optimistic.

Evander Kane? That's a depressing upside for a top-5 guy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Looking back on Button and a few people's posts in a few years will be funny.

Why has this kid dropped like a rock in some draft rankings?....are there holes in his game?....is hockey sense an issue?....not judging from those highlights.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
Why has this kid dropped like a rock in some draft rankings?....are there holes in his game?....is hockey sense an issue?....not judging from those highlights.

At the end of the day, they're highlights. No highlight package will show you the bad sides of a prospect.

Tippett has amazing physical tools, and if he turns out will be a hell of a player. But as we've seen with previous guys of similar styles and talent levels, Tippett turning into an elite player is far from a guarantee.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I've seen Tippett as high as #2. His stock isn't falling, but some people hate him.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm sure a lot of people will be singing a different tune after the playoffs are over.

Last edited:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
He's ranked right about where the Oilers look like they will be picking (Around 20-22) by Button.

Hows his shot?

Wonder if the Oilers look to draft another RW, which is a weakness. Could be looking for a LWer too

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
At the end of the day, they're highlights. No highlight package will show you the bad sides of a prospect.

Tippett has amazing physical tools, and if he turns out will be a hell of a player. But as we've seen with previous guys of similar styles and talent levels, Tippett turning into an elite player is far from a guarantee.

What if hes taking feeds from McDavid or Draisailt?

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
He's ranked right about where the Oilers look like they will be picking (Around 20-22) by Button.

Hows his shot?

Wonder if the Oilers look to draft another RW, which is a weakness. Could be looking for a LWer too

He'll very likely go top 12 would be very surprised to see him drop to 20

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
From what I've heard and seen, the IQ is questioned and he lacks compete at times, it's just how weak this draft is that makes him almost a sure thing top 10 in the class. For example, I don't think he's a better prospect than Keller, A. Nylander, and Jost.

The IQ issue is important, however, it's probably more important for centers and defensemen. If he can turn into a 40 goal player, you may have to forgive his lack of hockey smarts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad