RW Owen Tippett (2017, 10th, FLA)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He has about 14 pts in the last 7 games since Christmas, kid's heating up.

What's his potential like?
Perennial 35 to 40 goal scorer. But, he has a lot in common with Virtanen and Evander Kane, so he comes with a lot of risk attached. Might be a guy who is great driving a 3rd line where he can play with tunnel vision and rack up shots on net, but can't find chemistry with guys higher up the line-up.

Depending on where you stand on his IQ, he is quite a divisive prospect. The raw tools are amazing, his speed/shot combo is elite.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
He has about 14 pts in the last 7 games since Christmas, kid's heating up.

What's his potential like?

He has the speed and will to drive the net, a good shot and a knack for fending off defensemen when gaining the zone or cutting to the net. His passing is above average and he's reasonably physical. Defensively he needs work and i get the sense his offensive contributions in lower leagues allowed him be lax defensively without drawing ire from previous coaches. That won't get it done as his career goes forward so he'll need to make a concerted effort to improve there.
I think Tippett has the potential for 30-30 seasons down the road but he'll need some adjustments and seasoning.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Don't know why no hype for a probable top 5 pick and probably the best goal scoring winger in the draft. I've compared him to a Kessel/Perry hybrid as he's a mix of the 2. He's probably the fastest player in the draft and the best shot as well. He goes to the net hard and isn't afraid to be physical. He's improved his defensive game a lot this year and he's 3rd for me after Patrick and Hischier for this draft right now

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I know it's too typical to judge by the numbers, but it's really impressive how he leads his team's 2nd scorer by 22 points and that player is Michael McLeod, last year's 12th overall pick.(ok MM has played 10 fewer games) but the player after is Nathan Bastian with the same numbers as MM.

Tippett seems like what Montreal really needs. A potential top 6 RW with size and snipes.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I know it's too typical to judge by the numbers, but it's really impressive how he leads his team's 2nd scorer by 22 points and that player is Michael McLeod, last year's 12th overall pick.(ok MM has played 10 fewer games) but the player after is Nathan Bastian with the same numbers as MM.

Tippett seems like what Montreal really needs. A potential top 6 RW with size and snipes.
I'm hoping Tippett is drafted by New Jersey, joining McLeod and Bastian here. He's pretty much exactly what we need: a high-offense RW.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Am I justified in thinking his similarities to Virtanen at the same age are scary?
Yes. But, I'd put it closer to Evander Kane (not as physical, but no off the ice issues). Still can be insanely frustrating. He can generate and drive offense by himself, his speed and shot combo are elite. The question you are always left wondering is how well can he play with other top talents, because otherwise your left with an effective player, but who is probably relegated to a third line role like E. Kane is currently deployed in.

He has similar things to Virtanen, but I don't really want to label him as such. Virtanen is almost a classic case of Murphy's law, some of which is his own doing. He has a questionable work ethic (not an issue with Tippett), he was rushed by Vancouver (hopefully who drafts Tippett doesn't do this), and he suffered a major injury. Even without the IQ flaws, this would challenge most top prospects.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yes. But, I'd put it closer to Evander Kane (not as physical, but no off the ice issues). Still can be insanely frustrating. He can generate and drive offense by himself, his speed and shot combo are elite. The question you are always left wondering is how well can he play with other top talents, because otherwise your left with an effective player, but who is probably relegated to a third line role like E. Kane is currently deployed in.

He has similar things to Virtanen, but I don't really want to label him as such. Virtanen is almost a classic case of Murphy's law, some of which is his own doing. He has a questionable work ethic (not an issue with Tippett), he was rushed by Vancouver (hopefully who drafts Tippett doesn't do this), and he suffered a major injury. Even without the IQ flaws, this would challenge most top prospects.

So I went back and looked at what I wrote about Virtanen prior to his draft:

Jake Virtanen - LW - Calgary Hitmen
Virtanen is one of the more polarizing players available in the draft, there are some who feel he is not worthy of being a top 15 pick and others like myself that feel he is a lock for the top 10. He is one of the best pure shooters I've seen at the junior level in quite some time. He has an incredible release from everywhere on the ice and with any shot. Combine that with phenomenal speed and a physical game that is top tier, and you have a true power forward. Virtanen plays with emotion, but can also disappear at times. He has a low hockey IQ and plays a very north south style of game, he is not a playmaker but his mix of size speed and grit make him a prospect who is hard to pass over.

To be fair I loved Virtanen before his draft, but tell me that doesn't describe Tippett to a tee. Ive been burned by this type of player before. You do bring up a good point though, development was a major downfall with Virtanen, who isn't a bust yet, but close.

I just think I'd look to the naturally skilled guys with high IQ; Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Necas before Tippett.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So I went back and looked at what I wrote about Virtanen prior to his draft:

To be fair I loved Virtanen before his draft, but tell me that doesn't describe Tippett to a tee. Ive been burned by this type of player before. You do bring up a good point though, development was a major downfall with Virtanen, who isn't a bust yet, but close.

I just think I'd look to the naturally skilled guys with high IQ; Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Necas before Tippett.
Yeah, and a report would probably read similar for Evander Kane or Yakupov. Granted, outside of the first sentence, many of the things said in there would hold true for Ovechkin.

I wouldn't be comfortable taking him top 5 at the moment, but in a weak draft, an Evander Kane type player who doesn't have the off-ice problems (bar antics and personality flaws) is probably worth a top 10 pick. I don't think its fair to put the Virtanen stink fully on Tippett due to how much has gone wrong in his development. I would hope the team that drafts Tippett would know better than to play him on the 4th line for an entire season as a teenager. And, I would hope Tippett would know that he should probably show up to camp in shape.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This sounds like the sort of player that can get a GM fired, one way or another.

- You pick him, and he turns out to be the next Yak/Virtanen. or,

- you don't pick him, and he turns out to be the next Ovi/Tarasenko/ Stamkos.

Now that I think about it, who are the great Canadian sniper/power forwards?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This sounds like the sort of player that can get a GM fired, one way or another.

- You pick him, and he turns out to be the next Yak/Virtanen. or,

- you don't pick him, and he turns out to be the next Ovi/Tarasenko/ Stamkos.

Now that I think about it, who are the great Canadian sniper/power forwards?
Of all time or now?

Iginla held down that spot for us as arguably the best power forward in the league who was also an elite sniper. Prior to that is was Shanahan and to a lesser extent Owen Nolan. Currently, Benn is the best, but he doesn't really fit that play style, same thing with Corey Perry. Prior to them there are guys like Neely and Wendel Clark, and you could say Howe or Richard invented the play style.

Tippett won't get picked high enough to get a GM fired. Could possibly get a regional coordinator or possibly even a scouting director fired.

I'd think it'd take a lot of things going right for him to be perennial 40 goal guy in the current era. At best he might be a better scoring but lower-iq Taylor Hall, more likely his ceiling is somewhere around a prime Bill Guerin.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
People seem to forget in evaluating Tippett that with ANY forward the most important asset comes down to IQ. You don't draft people with lack of IQ high anymore- it's a proven recipe for disaster.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
People seem to forget in evaluating Tippett that with ANY forward the most important asset comes down to IQ. You don't draft people with lack of IQ high anymore- it's a proven recipe for disaster.

This is a pretty weak draft at the top.

Pretty sure that someone will fall in love with his tools and throw caution to the wind.

I just hope it is not the Avs. Picking him in the top4 would be a disaster waiting to happen IMO...

My least favorite prospect that is projected somewhere near the top5 by far right now...

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think the Virtanen comparison is bit off. Mostly because JV was VERY mismanaged by Vancouver in 2 years post draft. He should have been returned to junior X2 and AHL after that. JV also had severe attitude issues that sunk him

Itd be interesting to see Tippetts shooting %. JV rode a very high shooting % in his draft year, which should have been a major red flag.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the Virtanen comparison is bit off. Mostly because JV was VERY mismanaged by Vancouver in 2 years post draft. He should have been returned to junior X2 and AHL after that. JV also had severe attitude issues that sunk him

Itd be interesting to see Tippetts shooting %. JV rode a very high shooting % in his draft year, which should have been a major red flag.
He leads the OHL in shots on goal with 221. He's shooting 16% which is completely reasonable by OHL standards, to even a bit low. Dvorak shot something like 25% last year, and others such as Amadio, Mangiapane, and Debrincat shot 19% or higher.

Tippett is absolutely a high-volume shot generator. The issues are tunnel vision and lack of awareness on the cycle, although his linemates don't help him much with that either (at least when he was with M. McLeod and Bastian).

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

It's very off as Tippett is better in every way but Vancouver rushing Virtanen was a huge mistake that stunted him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Of all time or now?

Iginla held down that spot for us as arguably the best power forward in the league who was also an elite sniper. Prior to that is was Shanahan and to a lesser extent Owen Nolan. Currently, Benn is the best, but he doesn't really fit that play style, same thing with Corey Perry. Prior to them there are guys like Neely and Wendel Clark, and you could say Howe or Richard invented the play style.

Tippett won't get picked high enough to get a GM fired. Could possibly get a regional coordinator or possibly even a scouting director fired.

I'd think it'd take a lot of things going right for him to be perennial 40 goal guy in the current era. At best he might be a better scoring but lower-iq Taylor Hall, more likely his ceiling is somewhere around a prime Bill Guerin.

Now.

Benn is a little too skilled. Does Tippet remind you of a Kreider or Coyle? Not that Coyle ever scored like Tippett.

Historically, Conacher( Lionel or Charlie, forget which one)for the Leafs might've been the ultimate PF. Bertuzzi was certainly one, as was Neely. Seems like they are a dying breed.

BTW, if anyone is wondering what kind of player Mismash is- he's a power forward. Haven't see him for a while, but his game is about him being fast and strong, with an aggressive nose for the net. Bellows was strong, with a better shot, but Mismash was faster. I always wondered, and still do, if Bellows bullying style would play well in higher levels of hockey.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Now. Benn is a little too skilled. Does Tippet remind you of a Kreider or Coyle? Not that Coyle ever scored like Tippett.
He reminds me the most of Evander Kane without the personality flaws. Maybe not quite as nasty on the forecheck, but the same type of offensive approach. Gun down the wing and fire, rinse and repeat. Has the same issue finding chemistry due to this approach and playing off the cycle. Now, Evander Kane without the off-ice issues is a pretty good player. He may drive you insane when paired with more offensively talented players, but when put with two grinders and given the freedom to attack he can turn a 3rd line set up into a very effective line. But, he might drive you insane when paired with a top line center due to having a bit of a one-track mind.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He reminds me the most of Evander Kane without the personality flaws. Maybe not quite as nasty on the forecheck, but the same type of offensive approach. Gun down the wing and fire, rinse and repeat. Has the same issue finding chemistry due to this approach and playing off the cycle. Now, Evander Kane without the off-ice issues is a pretty good player. He may drive you insane when paired with more offensively talented players, but when put with two grinders and given the freedom to attack he can turn a 3rd line set up into a very effective line. But, he might drive you insane when paired with a top line center due to having a bit of a one-track mind.

Got it.

Clutterbuck who hits the net.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
It's a 2 man race between Tippett and Vilardi at this point, they're in a different league compared to the other draft eligible prospects from the O.

Personally i have Tippett ahead of Vilardi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad