RW Owen Tippett (2017, 10th, FLA)

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
It's a 2 man race between Tippett and Vilardi at this point, they're in a different league compared to the other draft eligible prospects from the O.

Personally i have Tippett ahead of Vilardi.
vilardi is much better than tippett

wouldn't have tippett in the top 10

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
vilardi is much better than tippett

wouldn't have tippett in the top 10

no actually Vilardi and Tippett are very close and a good debate but I have Tippett slightly ahead. Also if you don't have Tippett in the top 5 let alone top 10 you either haven't watched him or have no clue how to evaluate talent.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
no actually Vilardi and Tippett are very close and a good debate but I have Tippett slightly ahead. Also if you don't have Tippett in the top 5 let alone top 10 you either haven't watched him or have no clue how to evaluate talent.
Lets not go that far, especially in a draft where there is very little seperation outside the top 3 to 12.

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015

no actually they are not, buddy boyo. valardi is much smarter and is therefore the better prospect. tippett is overrated

tolvanen>tippett

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
It's a 2 man race between Tippett and Vilardi at this point, they're in a different league compared to the other draft eligible prospects from the O.

Personally i have Tippett ahead of Vilardi.

I'd take Suzuki over both of them.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
no actually they are not, buddy boyo. valardi is much smarter and is therefore the better prospect. tippett is overrated

tolvanen>tippett

Actually that's what i think about Tolvanen and Mittelstadt ;)

But hey to each his own!

OjGzzie.png

http://i.imgur.com/OjGzzie.png

Numbers support Tippett aswell, highest EP1/60 w/ great GF% rel. Vilardi isn't doing too shabby either of course.

I'd take Suzuki over both of them.

And you would have made a terrible mistake :laugh: (no offense). Don't get me wrong Suzuki is a good prospect, he's just not in the same draft range as Tippett.

Last edited:

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Yah I agree with you they are both top 5 I think it will depend on who is drafting to who goes first. I like Vilardi more but have a feeling tippet will go first since there are not a lot of winger in the top 15 while there are a plethora of centers at the top of the draft.

Sputniker

Jan 5, 2016
Actually that's what i think about Tolvanen and Mittelstadt ;)

But hey to each his own!

OjGzzie.png

http://i.imgur.com/OjGzzie.png

Numbers support Tippett aswell, highest EP1/60 w/ great GF% rel. Vilardi isn't doing too shabby either of course.

And you would have made a terrible mistake :laugh: (no offense). Don't get me wrong Suzuki is a good prospect, he's just not in the same draft range as Tippett.

Where are these stats from?

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Lol if you think Tippett is not close to Vilardi or not a top 10 prospect then you honestly have not seen enough to comment.

Tippett is like a wing version of Stamkos at the OHL level. He has a better shot than some NHLers at this point. I would take him 3rd overall this year if I had the pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Lol if you think Tippett is not close to Vilardi or not a top 10 prospect then you honestly have not seen enough to comment.

Tippett is like a wing version of Stamkos at the OHL level. He has a better shot than some NHLers at this point. I would take him 3rd overall this year if I had the pick.
These statements are absolutely ridiculous. I'd still take him top 10 at the moment, but there are valid reasons to not have him as a top 10 guy. He suffers from tunnel vision, and his play off the puck is quite lacking, to the extent he can look lost. His ability to mesh with top players due to how puck dominant he is, is questionable. His speed, size and shot are all amazing at the OHL level, but his cycle game and general IQ could be his downfall at the next level. At the moment, I'd comfortably have Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt and Vilardi ahead of him. He's with that next batch of guys such as Liljegren, Pettersson, Heiskanen, Necas, Glass and Tolvanen. I'd actually question anyone who has claimed to of watched him a lot if they haven't seen these limitations.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
These statements are absolutely ridiculous. I'd still take him top 10 at the moment, but there are valid reasons to not have him as a top 10 guy. He suffers from tunnel vision, and his play off the puck is quite lacking, to the extent he can look lost. His ability to mesh with top players due to how puck dominant he is, is questionable. His speed, size and shot are all amazing at the OHL level, but his cycle game and general IQ could be his downfall at the next level. At the moment, I'd comfortably have Patrick, Hischier, Mittelstadt and Vilardi ahead of him. He's with that next batch of guys such as Liljegren, Pettersson, Heiskanen, Necas, Glass and Tolvanen. I'd actually question anyone who has claimed to of watched him a lot if they haven't seen these limitations.

Can I cosign this?

I find Tippett, when he's not coming alive with the puck on the rush or sniping one, supremely irritating for every one of these reasons. Closely watching him on a shift-to-shift basis can be an exercise in frustration, in every zone. So skilled and has all the physical tools.......but talk about a player who really CAN be defined by his highlight reel.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

I was able to obtain the mid term rankings of an NHL teams list. This organization does it in player category. They have him ranked number 2 under offensive fowards. Good eyes if you see him this good, it's because he is that good.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Well, we won't know for a number of years. I'm probably standing alone on this call. Most agencies have Tippett and Vilardi in the top 10 and have Suzuki in the 20's. A simplified explanation of my stance is that Suzuki's weakness (under 6'0) is less of a hindrance than Vilardi's (plays at a slow pace) and Tippett's (limited vision).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is the player I "least" want the Jets to draft in the top 10.

Chevy don't Logan Stanley me two years in a row.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well, we won't know for a number of years. I'm probably standing alone on this call. Most agencies have Tippett and Vilardi in the top 10 and have Suzuki in the 20's. A simplified explanation of my stance is that Suzuki's weakness (under 6'0) is less of a hindrance than Vilardi's (plays at a slow pace) and Tippett's (limited vision).
One of the flags on Suzuki is lack of high-end skating for a guy his size. It's not Vilardi bad, but Vilardi is 6'3 200 who can use his strength to create separation. Vilardi is the best prospect in the OHL in my opinion outside of Dylan Strome and possibly Sergachev and Juolevi.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

he kind of sounds like Yakupov. With the puck in OHL could score a ton of goals. But in NHL he was lost away from the puck and that really limited effectiveness. Away from the puck you still have to know where to go to find open areas to be a great goal scorer

Its why a guy like Yak who tore up junior in scoring doesnt score in NHL, but a smart player like Kadri can excel at scoring in NHL.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

This may be all true. However, you can work on his play, but you can't teach goal scoring. I remember all the negatives said about Mike Bossy, doesn't play defense, small frame not the best skater and those words came from Bill Torrey about can't teach goal scoring. Please, I'm not in anyway comparing Tippett to Bossy who had a great hockey IQ. However, if you need goals, he seems like the guy who will provide it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This may be all true. However, you can work on his play, but you can't teach goal scoring. I remember all the negatives said about Mike Bossy, doesn't play defense, small frame not the best skater and those words came from Bill Torrey about can't teach goal scoring. Please, I'm not in anyway comparing Tippett to Bossy who had a great hockey IQ. However, if you need goals, he seems like the guy who will provide it.
Maybe, if it carries over, you can't rush through your opponents consistently at the NHL level. He has the skill to make people who pass on him look foolish, but Hockey IQ is almost impossible to teach at the NHL level. Smart coaches can put these guys succeed but, it usually stops them from being elite players.

The goal argument was the same one used for Virtanen or even Yakupov, but sometimes junior scoring styles don't carry over.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Maybe, if it carries over, you can't rush through your opponents consistently at the NHL level. He has the skill to make people who pass on him look foolish, but Hockey IQ is almost impossible to teach at the NHL level. Smart coaches can put these guys succeed but, it usually stops them from being elite players.

The goal argument was the same one used for Virtanen or even Yakupov, but sometimes junior scoring styles don't carry over.

True. I just like his speed & size to go along with his goal scoring. I'm a big believer in hockey smarts and if this kid doesn't have it I'd stay away. However, scouts seem to like him and I'm no scout so I can only give my opinion.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
True. I just like his speed & size to go along with his goal scoring. I'm a big believer in hockey smarts and if this kid doesn't have it I'd stay away. However, scouts seem to like him and I'm no scout so I can only give my opinion.
From what I've heard and seen, the IQ is questioned and he lacks compete at times, it's just how weak this draft is that makes him almost a sure thing top 10 in the class. For example, I don't think he's a better prospect than Keller, A. Nylander, and Jost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad