RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS, Liiga (2019 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Nordgren - Kotkaniemi - Kakko would be hard not to re-unite.

I'm not stating otherwise, but this guy declared Kakko being moved to wing as a fact should Kotkaniemi come back, which is absurd since no one can tell for sure what will happen in a rather distant future. Whatever the case I think I'd rather see him in the middle no matter who else got picked (even if that meant Lundell being pushed down into the third line).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah.
But now we have to wait and see what plans Ahokas has made for Kakko's position in U20 WJC.

If Kotkaniemi stays to NHL roster Kakko could very likely be 1st line center in U20 WJC's.
But if Kotkaniemi is available and Montreal release him to U20 WJC's Kakko will be winger.
Theres no way we dont send Kotkaniemi to the WJC. Theyve done it every single year with rookies.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
How has he looked playing center?
He hasn't really played center except for one U20 game and one CHL game with half of the real roster scratched. I expect we won't be seeing much Kakko as center before possibly U20 or U18. After that the team that drafts him will probably ask him to play center more if that's how they see him.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
As stated before, TPS is like Leafs in the middle ATM. They won't experiment with Kakko as a center unless there are some major injuries.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Well technically Galchenyuk wasn't on the Habs roster when he was in the WJC in 2013 because of the lockout. He was in Sarnia and then the lockout ended in January, the day after the WJC and he joined their roster after.

And Mete is Canadian. They're not necessarily that eager to let a Finnish kid play in the WJC because he might assist the game-winning goal against Canada. The Oilers didn't need Puljujärvi but they didn't let him go.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And Mete is Canadian. They're not necessarily that eager to let a Finnish kid play in the WJC because he might assist the game-winning goal against Canada. The Oilers didn't need Puljujärvi but they didn't let him go.
I don't think NHL teams think like this. Leafs could have held out Nylander from the WJC he got a concussion up, just by calling him up to the active roster on a team in last place. For example, Boston loaned Pastrnak that year with him coming off injury instead of an AHL stint. An NHL team though won't loan a guy if he is getting actual minutes on the roster. The reason they may be more likely to loan Canadians is because for most Canadian players it is NHL or Juniors when the NHL gets to decide. With most Euro's (ones without assignment clauses) they can send them to the AHL.

Reactions: Acadien86

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is completely false and ridiculous.

N.H.L teams do what they feel is best for their team and nothing else, and if they think the player is better served playing with the big club that is where he will stay and if they feel he is better served going off to play in the W.J.C or staying in junior/other league where he can play in the W.J.C then that is where the player will be.It's all about what they feel is best for the players development and thus whats best for the team, nothing else factors in, it's a business.

If They actually cared about whether any player can hurt or help Canada you would not see scores of the best Canadian players missing this tournament each and every single year.Finland is now putting up a slew of players who are ready for the N.H.L in their W.J.C eligible years and thus you are simply feeling the crunch of this at the W.J.C now, just like Canada always has had to and has to.

Welcome to life in the big boys club pal!! You should be happy, not dreaming up silly conspiracies.

Last edited:

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Finland is now putting up a slew of players who are ready for the N.H.L in their W.J.C eligible years and thus you are simply feeling the crunch of this at the W.J.C now, just like Canada always has had to and has to.

If the Oilers felt that Puljujärvi was ready for the NHL, it doesn't make much sense that he was playing like 3-10 minutes per game in some games and sitting in the press box in others. I understand full well that players like Barkov and Laine don't play in the WJC but Puljujärvi's minutes showed that the Oilers really didn't feel he was of much use. At the WJC he would have actually got to play some hockey.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If the Oilers felt that Puljujärvi was ready for the NHL, it doesn't make much sense that he was playing like 3-10 minutes per game in some games and sitting in the press box in others. I understand full well that players like Barkov and Laine don't play in the WJC but Puljujärvi's minutes showed that the Oilers really didn't feel he was of much use. At the WJC he would have actually got to play some hockey.
They still felt it was better for his development for him to stay with the big club for whatever reason, it's the oilers, they haven't got the best reputation for developing players which I am sure you are aware of.

Theres no conspiracy, the N.H.L. is a business, they don't make player decisions based on stuff like helping or not helping a country win or lose at a junior tournament, they could care less.

You are going to miss players at the W.J.C now.............get used to it, it's part and parcel of being good and having good players.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Theres no conspiracy, the N.H.L. is a business

I never claimed there's a conspiracy.

You are going to miss players at the W.J.C now.............get used to it, it's part and parcel of being good and having good players.

I'm perfectly fine with Finland missing players at the WJC. Miro Heiskanen won't be there and that's only right because he belongs in the NHL. But if Kotkaniemi is sitting in the press box at Canadiens games during the WJC, I'll have my doubts about their motivations of putting him there no matter how condescending you get with your "as a European you just don't get it, do you" rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad