RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Another thread has been hijacked AGAIN by Jets fans. Came in here to see whats happening with JP and see Jets fans screaming about Connor? :shakehead
Please, do come to our boards. You often seem so worried about us. :) (moreover, half of these posters aren't Jets fans, but whatever rows your boat)

Where would Pulju go in a re-draft?
A good question. I'd say that Tkachuk, Keller, McAvoy and Sergachev have obviously passed him at this point. Matthews and Laine are obviously #1 and #2 without question, but Dubois being ahead of Pulju is very debatable. I'll leave that one as it is, but I could be convinced to change my opinion. So, I have him at 8th. Doesn't seem too harsh, even though I am very low on Pulju.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Sam Bennett 19 year old season >>> Pulju 19 year old season, and oilers fans are very quick to jump on Sam as a bust. Soooo...

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sam Bennett 19 year old season >>> Pulju 19 year old season, and oilers fans are very quick to jump on Sam as a bust. Soooo...

Maybe, but Leon Draisaitl >>>>>>>> Sam Bennett, sooooooo...

Sam Bennett's 19 year old season was better than Dylan Strome's too, and I don't see Coyotes fans freaking out.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Maybe, but Leon Draisaitl >>>>>>>> Sam Bennett, sooooooo...

Sam Bennett's 19 year old season was better than Dylan Strome's too, and I don't see Coyotes fans freaking out.

Lol you didn't see me bringing up Tkachuk did you? What a ridiculous thing to say in a thread about Puljujarvi. Also looking at Strome's AHL stats (I have not watched him at all...) they have FAR less to worry about in this regard than you do!

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol you didn't see me bringing up Tkachuk did you? What a ridiculous thing to say in a thread about Puljujarvi. Also looking at Strome's AHL stats (I have not watched him at all...) they have FAR less to worry about in this regard than you do!

'What a ridiculous thing to say in a thread about Puljujarvi' - a guy that stomps into a Puljujarvi thread to talk about Sam Bennett.

Worry about your own team. That NHL best defence is bound to start domin... ah damn Hamonic is hurt again. Who could possibly have seen that coming? Oh well at least you have lots of draft pi... oh. Damn.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
'What a ridiculous thing to say in a thread about Puljujarvi' - a guy that stomps into a Puljujarvi thread to talk about Sam Bennett.

Worry about your own team. That NHL best defence is bound to start domin... ah damn Hamonic is hurt again. Who could possibly have seen that coming? Oh well at least you have lots of draft pi... oh. Damn.

I brought up Bennett in comparison to Pulju, who the thread is about. Wasn't talking about Sam Bennett, the subject was clearly Pulju's atrocious play so far at higher levels with Bennett being used as a comparison. Starkly contrasting your post that had nothing at all to do with the subject at hand, instead being purely a backhand.

How are the oilers doing this year again? Comfortable familiarity at least? How's your number 1 dman doing? Which was he again, Klefbom? Larsson? I'll give you a minute.

It's just amazing how much self awareness Oil fans lack.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I brought up Bennett in comparison to Pulju, who the thread is about. Wasn't talking about Sam Bennett, the subject was clearly Pulju's atrocious play so far at higher levels with Bennett being used as a comparison. Starkly contrasting your post that had nothing at all to do with the subject at hand, instead being purely a backhand.

How are the oilers doing this year again? Comfortable familiarity at least? How's your number 1 dman doing? Which was he again, Klefbom? Larsson? I'll give you a minute.

Puljujarvi's atrocious play? :laugh: he showed some flashes of talent, meshed well with McDavid, needed more seasoning and went down. Simple as that. The Oilers get slagged if they rush players, they get slagged if they let them develop. Can't win.

All the shot share and scoring chance stats say that the Oilers have just been unlucky.

Sam Bennett this year: 15 games, 0-0-0, -5. Maybe he'd benefit from an AHL stint.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Puljujarvi has never played atrociously. He just hasn't been good. He has been average.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Puljujarvi's atrocious play? :laugh: he showed some flashes of talent, meshed well with McDavid, needed more seasoning and went down. Simple as that. The Oilers get slagged if they rush players, they get slagged if they let them develop. Can't win.

All the shot share and scoring chance stats say that the Oilers have just been unlucky.

Sam Bennett this year: 15 games, 0-0-0, -5. Maybe he'd benefit from an AHL stint.

I've actually preached the same thing, but he needs to go through waivers to do that and that ain't happening.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Can anyone here actually comment on Puljujarvi's play in Bakersfield this season? Who has seen him play and has something to share?
I have caught a few games.

He is getting a lot of pucks on net. I wouldn't say they are dangerous shots but he isnt afraid to shoot it which is a good sign.
He isn't really driving the play persay and he is fine on the defensive side of the puck.

He is doing fine. Not great, not bad but he isn't really showing any flashes of elite player or potential top 6 talent.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I have caught a few games.

He is getting a lot of pucks on net. I wouldn't say they are dangerous shots but he isnt afraid to shoot it which is a good sign.
He isn't really driving the play persay and he is fine on the defensive side of the puck.

He is doing fine. Not great, not bad but he isn't really showing any flashes of elite player or potential top 6 talent.

It's worth noting that the forward depth on the Condors would make most CHL teams look down their noses. Puljujarvi has absolutely no one to play with down there.

Bakersfields best forwards are Ty Rattie - who plays the same position as JP - and Joey LaLeggia, who was a defenceman until the start of last season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've actually preached the same thing, but he needs to go through waivers to do that and that ain't happening.

Makes sense. That's a tough spot to be in and it's really hard on a young player as well. I wonder if trading him is the best option for the Flames and Bennett. Playing 9-12 minutes a night in the bottom six can't be doing anything positive for him and I'd bet he still has a fair bit of value around the league.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's worth noting that the forward depth on the Condors would make most CHL teams look down their noses. Puljujarvi has absolutely no one to play with down there.

Bakersfields best forwards are Ty Rattie - who plays the same position as JP - and Joey LaLeggia, who was a defenceman until the start of last season.
Even so, Pulju should look like the best forward on the team but he doesn't Laleggia and Rattie have been much better.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Makes sense. That's a tough spot to be in and it's really hard on a young player as well. I wonder if trading him is the best option for the Flames and Bennett. Playing 9-12 minutes a night in the bottom six can't be doing anything positive for him and I'd bet he still has a fair bit of value around the league.

I think he'd turn it around for a breath of fresh air, but the only type of trade that makes sense for the flames is sending him and an add (one of our D prospects most likely) to another team with a high potential struggling player. My personal preference at the moment is something around Bennett and Reinhart. Ho-Sang is more ideal but I think would take a larger add.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Even so, Pulju should look like the best forward on the team but he doesn't Laleggia and Rattie have been much better.

I'll be worried when he's 21 and not the best player on the team instead of 19. Rattie's been around a long time and played 200+ games in the AHL.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
The one thing that really stuck with me from the 2016 draft coverage is Jarmo Kekalainen answering questions on why he skipped pool party. He mentioned something to the effect of being a Finn himself and being able to speak the language fluenty he is able to see things about Pool party others may not notice with a language barrier.

Did he just notice in the interview pool party isn't the sharpest tool in the shed?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The one thing that really stuck with me from the 2016 draft coverage is Jarmo Kekalainen answering questions on why he skipped pool party. He mentioned something to the effect of being a Finn himself and being able to speak the language fluenty he is able to see things about Pool party others may not notice with a language barrier.

Did he just notice in the interview pool party isn't the sharpest tool in the shed?
It's very easy to see that Pulju doesn't have good linguistic and conversational skills. He's very monotone with his answers with the media when he was here in Finland and playing for Kärpät.
He didn't go to school after the mandatory stage like other athletes have done, which might make him 'not the sharpest tool in the shed'.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

I heard from people in Oulu who have been dealing with Puljujärvi since quite a while ago that he indeed is rather dumb. That's one of the reasons I've never been very high on him. I don't believe that truly stupid people can have high hockey IQ.

He didn't go to school after the mandatory stage like other athletes have done, which might make him 'not the sharpest tool in the shed'.
Nothing to do with this, by the way. You can see drop outs who actually are quite smart. You don't need to have gone to school to be fast at picking up stuff or understanding things. To a certain extent, this is not something you can learn.

Reactions: ehhedler

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
It's very easy to see that Pulju doesn't have good linguistic and conversational skills. He's very monotone with his answers with the media when he was here in Finland and playing for Kärpät.

It's interesting to hear your take, because I have no way of picking that up. I meant it more as an open question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad