RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't see why there would be. Hockey intelligence is mostly about spatial awareness and anticipating the game, and I can't figure out how either of those things is a corollary of of general intelligence.

How are they not?

People with high spatial ability tend to have high IQ. And people with high IQ tend to have high spatial ability.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So much hyperbole regarding a 20 year old player.

I'm ready to write him off when he turns 25 and hasn't performed.

I really don't see much hyperbole in here. JP is very much behind schedule at this point. And it's magnified in Edmonton on a team who lacks the high end talent and impact players around McDavid. He was a very high pick and players taken after him are making great impacts. Edmonton greatly wishes they took Tkachuk or Keller at this point, but hindsight is 20/20.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And people were making fun of Jarmo for taking PLD lol.
Yeah, he is coming out of all this looking very good. People are forgetting what a risk that was.

It would've taken a very big pair of stones for EDM to have passed on Pulju. He was the consensus pick there, and the vast majority thought that they got a steal.

He's still young, and has time to develop. Some players need more time. While it's true that some young players can be screwed up by a team, I'm a believer that in most cases, great/ good players find a way to overcome obstacles and become what they are supposed to be, whether they are picked early in the first round, late in the 5th, or not at all. All this blaming of EDM and their management is convenient, but in this case, probably inaccurate.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
You think there isn't relationship whatsoever between real life IQ and hockey IQ?
I’m not saying there isn’t an overlap I’m just saying that it probably isn’t as significant as some may expect. Obviously if you are severely mentally disabled you wouldn’t be able to play any sports at anywhere close to a professional level, but I’d say as long as you are of an average or even slightly below average I.Q you can be more than adequate at most sports as long you put in lots of practice. Especially if you have all the right tools.

Learning disabilities come in different shapes and sizes and to suggest that someone who plays professional hockey isn’t living up to their potential because they got accommodations in schooling seems to be grasping at straws to me especially if you don’t know the exact circumstances of their situation. I fail to see how say someone needing help in school for a subject like math would be substantially impaired at playing hockey. It just comes across as meaningless speculation by the OP.I see no reason why for example people with moderate disabilities like ADHD or even Aspergers can’t also be gifted at Ice Hockey.

Reactions: Koijari

Jun 15, 2007
I’m not saying there isn’t an overlap I’m just saying that it probably isn’t as significant as some may expect. Obviously if you are severely mentally disabled you wouldn’t be able to play any sports at anywhere close to a professional level, but I’d say as long as you are of an average or even slightly below average I.Q you can be more than adequate at most sports as long you put in lots of practice. Especially if you have all the right tools.

Learning disabilities come in different shapes and sizes and to suggest that someone who plays professional hockey isn’t living up to their potential because they got accommodations in schooling seems to be grasping at straws to me especially if you don’t know the exact circumstances of their situation. I fail to see how say someone needing help in school for a subject like math would be substantially impaired at playing hockey. It just comes across as meaningless speculation by the OP.I see no reason why for example people with moderate disabilities like ADHD or even Aspergers can’t also be gifted at Ice Hockey.

Except this is the NHL where every single advantage matters. We're already talking about the best 0.001% players on the planet.

It seems obvious to me that if you have a learning disability that it would impact your career trajectory. It might take you 3 seasons instead of 2 for you to 'get' the NHL.

No idea why anyone finds this idea offensive.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Except this is the NHL where every single advantage matters. We're already talking about the best 0.001% players on the planet.

It seems obvious to me that if you have a learning disability that it would impact your career trajectory. It might take you 3 seasons instead of 2 for you to 'get' the NHL.

No idea why anyone finds this idea offensive.
It’s possible it could take longer, but I don’t think it has to necessarily be that linear . It likely could differ from case to case depending on the disability the person has and the strengths and weaknesses that come with it. I just don’t think it’s a very important fact when it comes to Jesse and that it is also unnecessary for Finnish journalists to publish that information.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Hindsight is 20/20. At the end of the day, if the oilers knew how he would start his career, they would have picked one of Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun, Debrincat or Girard.

It’s not a good thing that guys have already and are continuing to leapfrog you play wise.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I remember a couple Finnish posters at the draft saying they think he’ll be better than Matthews, and some said both Laine and Matthews.

I guess there’s always a handful like that.
Don't remember that. I remember NA fans saying mostly that he will be better than Laine though. Seeing him actually play in his draft season, it wasn't a surprise for me at all when Kekäläinen passed on him.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I wonder if the GM being Finnish played a role. He could interview him in his native language and possibly pick up subtleties and nuances that highlighted some weaknesses.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Don't remember that. I remember NA fans saying mostly that he will be better than Laine though. Seeing him actually play in his draft season, it wasn't a surprise for me at all when Kekäläinen passed on him.
I thought in the draft year that Puljujarvi had a better all around game(so better floor) but Laine had the better ceiling.

I don’t think that has changed. Laine’s shot will pot him 30+ even if the rest of his game never came around, but it is.

Puljujarvi needs to play with skill and grow into his role.

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
O.K (Corral?!).

Edmonton is a dead end for Jesse Puljujärvi.

So about time to get the 'ell out of Dodge, Jesse!

... eh, I mean Deadmonton.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I thought in the draft year that Puljujarvi had a better all around game(so better floor) but Laine had the better ceiling.

I don’t think that has changed. Laine’s shot will pot him 30+ even if the rest of his game never came around, but it is.

Puljujarvi needs to play with skill and grow into his role.

How is Laine's floor at 30+ goals when he's on average scored 40 goals in both of his teenage years?

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
Hindsight is 20/20. At the end of the day, if the oilers knew how he would start his career, they would have picked one of Tkachuk, Keller, Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun, Debrincat or Girard.

It’s not a good thing that guys have already and are continuing to leapfrog you play wise.

Heard a rumour they had their heart set on Sergachev, as they were in dire need of high end defense prospects, but when the consensus #3 "dropped into their laps" they jumped all over it, but they hadn't spent much time evaluating him, as they had focused their scouting on the "2nd tier" players that would be available to them.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Well said, you certainly don't have to be a genius to play hockey. That's overrating/glorifying the sport at an unhealthy level. Intelligence probably doesn't hurt your game, unless you're a 90s goon, but I don't think hockey sense necessarily is correlated to intelligence in a straight line.

Soccer players are apparently even dumber. When Frank Lampard scored really high on an IQ test he had to take the same test again because the club (Chelsea) thought "this can't be real life":

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
How are they not?

People with high spatial ability tend to have high IQ. And people with high IQ tend to have high spatial ability.

Not to get too sidetracked here, but the brain isn't as black and white as that. I'm a big believer in there being varying types of intelligence, with one individual having the potential to excel in one category, yet be very deficient in another.

I suggest reviewing/googling intelligence modalities, as it is pretty interesting stuff. I would venture a guess to say that these NHL players (and all other professional athletes) excel in bodily-kinesthetic and/or visual-spatial categories.

TL;DR, I believe it's entirely possible (and likely) that you can excel in a certain aspect in life (hockey), yet be a total dope overall or deficient in other categories.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Not to get too sidetracked here, but the brain isn't as black and white as that. I'm a big believer in there being varying types of intelligence, with one individual having the potential to excel in one category, yet be very deficient in another.

I suggest reviewing/googling intelligence modalities, as it is pretty interesting stuff. I would venture a guess to say that these NHL players (and all other professional athletes) excel in bodily-kinesthetic and/or visual-spatial categories.

TL;DR, I believe it's entirely possible (and likely) that you can excel in a certain aspect in life (hockey), yet be a total dope overall or deficient in other categories.
So according to some, Einstein would have been a real wizard on the ice ;)

I agree with your post btw.

Reactions: Dogewow

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He just doesnt accomplish anything on the ice. Thought he was pretty much invisible last night and when i looked for him, IMO he was no good. And very limited time on the ice last night too(9 mins and -2).

He is only 20 but he has a long way to go if he wants to become impactful.

He needs to spend the year in the AHL so bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad