RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
5 points in 10 games is underwhelming but he's not there to put up points. He's there to work on other area of his game. It's been reported that his game is a lot cleaner now. The points will eventually come
He's also shooting at 3.2%. A 10 game sample size of stat watching this season being used to judge his play is hilarious by posters in this thread. How many of you have watched a single Bakersfield game this year? My guess is none.

Jesse has some areas in his game to work on and some adapting to do no question, but this entire page of posts is just laughable. Leon Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 AHL games before putting up a 51 in 72 season in the NHL. I don't expect Jesse to do that but it gives some perspective for the 10 game sample size stat watchers.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
He's also shooting at 3.2%. A 10 game sample size of stat watching this season being used to judge his play is hilarious by posters in this thread. How many of you have watched a single Bakersfield game this year? My guess is none.

Jesse has some areas in his game to work on and some adapting to do no question, but this entire page of posts is just laughable. Leon Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 AHL games before putting up a 51 in 72 season in the NHL. I don't expect Jesse to do that but it gives some perspective for the 10 game sample size stat watchers.

Sounds like a sure-fire Oiler to me!

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Sounds like a sure-fire Oiler to me!
Eh I'll be more worried if he's still shooting at 3% by game 20. He shot at around 10% last year in the AHL, and from the little I've seen he's put some rockets off the post or just failed to finish on dekes. His shot accuracy isn't good enough to be a pure sniper, but its still good enough to be a quality goal scorer if he works on other parts of his game and adapts to NHL time, speed and space. Looks a lot more comfortable with the puck this year than last, but still has a ways to go.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
5 points in 10 games is underwhelming but he's not there to put up points. He's there to work on other area of his game. It's been reported that his game is a lot cleaner now. The points will eventually come

He's not there to put up points? A player drafted 4th overall who has already played in a men's professional league should be expected to put up points in the AHL.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Too bad really thought hed be a star

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Unless he can adjust to the speed of the NA game I don't see success in his future. Doesn't compete particularly hard, poor stickhandler, and doesn't make quick enough decisions. Yes he is young but the parts of the game he has to work on are the hardest to improve, compared to what a lot of prospects need to work on.

Yet another tools no toolbox prospect ATM.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
A nineteen-year-old bust is not a thing, but not showing signs of progression at that age is pretty ****ing worrying.
Yeah I think this is the right approach.

I haven't gotten to watch him yet because I don't find myself tuning in to Bakersfield games all too often, but in a general sense it is okay to be concerned with a lack of progress regardless of age.

That being said, it's obviously premature to call him a bust. I'm sure some crazy people have already deemed him as such, but I don't think any sane people are calling him that yet.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Unless he can adjust to the speed of the NA game I don't see success in his future. Doesn't compete particularly hard, poor stickhandler, and doesn't make quick enough decisions. Yes he is young but the parts of the game he has to work on are the hardest to improve, compared to what a lot of prospects need to work on.

Yet another tools no toolbox prospect ATM.
I think his biggest issue is his lack of compete IMO
Way to early to write him off, but it is definitely concerning.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
people are way too quick to start pulling out "bust"... this season a lot of people said that when Kyle Connor was sent back to the AHL, but has since been unreal..... Last year people ragged on Barzal for being returned to junior at 19.. look at him now..... heck even Draisaitl got crapped on HARD when he was sent back to junior and then to the AHL the season after. Puljujarvi is the same age-ish as when all those guys went through their tough times of being sent back.

IMO we just had too many people on here and the media that were drilling it in peoples heads that he was already better than this player and that player so unfortunately I think a lot of people were just assuming JP was going to tear it up instantly and never look back.. and since he hasn't hit that level yet, people are assuming he is a bust.

Now having said that, I do still expect him this season to make a lot of progress in development. I am hoping by mid season or near end of season the Oilers organization will be saying they are estatic with his development and are anticipating a really successful season next year(or maybe later this year) in the NHL.

The kid just turned 19 6 months ago, lets give him some time

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Connor played great in the A. Pulji is struggling in the A. Theres a difference.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Connor played NCAA hockey before that, and there obviously was an adjustment period for him going from NCAA to an adult professional league. He had a slow start in NHL as well as AHL, but actually progressed greatly throughout the season and by the end of it was absolutely dominant. Now he's a successful NHL player.

That's called natural progression.

Puljujärvi has been playing in an adult professional league since 2014. Is it not reasonable to assume that he should be more ready for that sort of a league's requirements?

Reactions: Juxtaposer

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Connor played NCAA hockey before that, and there obviously was an adjustment period for him going from NCAA to an adult professional league. He had a slow start in NHL as well as AHL, but actually progressed greatly throughout the season and by the end of it was absolutely dominant. Now he's a successful NHL player.

That's called natural progression.

Puljujärvi has been playing in an adult professional league since 2014. Is it not reasonable to assume that he should be more ready for that sort of a league's requirements?
Where would Pulju go in a re-draft?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
people are way too quick to start pulling out "bust"... this season a lot of people said that when Kyle Connor was sent back to the AHL, but has since been unreal..... Last year people ragged on Barzal for being returned to junior at 19.. look at him now..... heck even Draisaitl got crapped on HARD when he was sent back to junior and then to the AHL the season after. Puljujarvi is the same age-ish as when all those guys went through their tough times of being sent back.

IMO we just had too many people on here and the media that were drilling it in peoples heads that he was already better than this player and that player so unfortunately I think a lot of people were just assuming JP was going to tear it up instantly and never look back.. and since he hasn't hit that level yet, people are assuming he is a bust.

Now having said that, I do still expect him this season to make a lot of progress in development. I am hoping by mid season or near end of season the Oilers organization will be saying they are estatic with his development and are anticipating a really successful season next year(or maybe later this year) in the NHL.

The kid just turned 19 6 months ago, lets give him some time

We’re talking about the same Kyle Connor who had 25 goals and 44 points in 52 games his first AHL season?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
We’re talking about the same Kyle Connor who had 25 goals and 44 points in 52 games his first AHL season?

Yup.. I love the guy.. But people on here were actually calling him a bust this year when he was sent to AHL.. It was absurd!!lol

Just shows how ridiculous it is nowadays with people calling players busts if they dont excel instantly in the league

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yup.. I love the guy.. But people on here were actually calling him a bust this year when he was sent to AHL.. It was absurd!!lol

Yes, it was absurd, but that’s not my point. Connor tore up the AHL. Puljujarvi isn’t yet. Not really comparable.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, it was absurd, but that’s not my point. Connor tore up the AHL. Puljujarvi isn’t yet. Not really comparable.

Oh ya im not comparing them..I more less brought players names up that people called busts that are still extremely young with tons of upside

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The same Kyle Connor who played his first AHL season when he was 20? We'll compare them next year. IF Jesse even plays in the AHL when he's 20.

Connor was 5 months older last year than Puljujarvi is this year, and Puljujarvi has the benefit of not needing to adjust to professional hockey.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm not even sure what you're here to discuss. Just tooting the horn of your favorite prospect or what?

Who’s my favorite prospect? Connor? I have literally no attachment to him. :dunno:

I was originally here to say how silly it was that people were calling Puljujarvi a bust, but that concern was warranted.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Another thread has been hijacked AGAIN by Jets fans. Came in here to see whats happening with JP and see Jets fans screaming about Connor? :shakehead

Reactions: MardyBum
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad