RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Ehmm... what?
Kane's really known as a player who's relatively dumb with poor vision who just tunnels at the goal and shoots from any position imaginable, usually with poor accuracy. But that sort of players are effective in today's NHL, too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane's really known as a player who's relatively dumb with poor vision who just tunnels at the goal and shoots from any position imaginable, usually with poor accuracy. But that sort of players are effective in today's NHL, too.
If you ask them to drive a middle 6 line. They will drive you absolutely insane when paired with elite skill guys.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I love Jesse Puljujarvi.

He has the same number of even strength goals as Laine. And he doesn't get a second a PP time.
Glad to see him doing well.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I love Jesse Puljujarvi.

He has the same number of even strength goals as Laine. And he doesn't get a second a PP time.
Glad to see him doing well.

Watching him 5on5 right now is much more fun than Laine(not a post saying JP is better). He's all over the ice and has that go gear.
Creates a ton of chances and game by game makes strong defensive plays.

One of the examples is from today on the 1st period when he's behind Minnesotas net but skates back to break up a play on their blueline. I would say with Drai as C JP is the best defensive winger on that roster.

But it's so damm frustating to watch these games, he's playing well, like the best winger for the Oilers and I have to keep watching Strome, Letestu, Maroon, Benning over him on the pp time after time. Like why, JP could address their biggest need but no, can't do that.
It's not like Edmonton is at the top of standings and having a killer pp.

Reactions: snipes and A91

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
But it's so damm frustating to watch these games, he's playing well, like the best winger for the Oilers and I have to keep watching Strome, Letestu, Maroon, Benning over him on the pp time after time. Like why, JP could address their biggest need but no, can't do that.
It's not like Edmonton is at the top of standings and having a killer pp.

It's a little frustrating to see him do so well and not get any PP time, but it'll come. I mean, the coaching staff knows these players individual personalities and motivations a lot more than us fans. And how can you argue the results? 6G in 16GP. I'll take it. And once he's become a more established player, he'll start getting PP time.

I have no doubt that Jesse is developing properly right now. Isn't that what we all want?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
Our PP lacks a big shot and somehow this guy is on the bench...Oilers gonna Oiler.

On the plus side JP looks great 5v5, that stint in the minor really added some grit and urgency to his game. He looks much better along the boards and still has that flare when he finds open ice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's a little frustrating to see him do so well and not get any PP time, but it'll come. I mean, the coaching staff knows these players individual personalities and motivations a lot more than us fans. And how can you argue the results? 6G in 16GP. I'll take it. And once he's become a more established player, he'll start getting PP time.

I have no doubt that Jesse is developing properly right now. Isn't that what we all want?

Edmonton has a losing record and is desperate for points, and their pp has been abysmal this year.
Pulju with his heavy RH shot is what they need because they don't have that at the moment, and pp is a great place for young players to gain more confidence and get into the game better.

I'll just add this beauty,

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Edmonton has a losing record and is desperate for points, and their pp has been abysmal this year.
Pulju with his heavy RH shot is what they need because they don't have that at the moment, and pp is a great place for young players to gain more confidence and get into the game better.

I'll just add this beauty,

Lol wow 7 thats a great statline considering his TOI and zero PP minutes. Wonder what his P/60 is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulju is ****ing beasting. Doing it all without a second of PP time.

With the eye test he routinely looks like the 2nd best player on the ice after McDavid. He makes McDavid better, he can drive the play himself and is very good defensively.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Our PP lacks a big shot and somehow this guy is on the bench...Oilers gonna Oiler.

On the plus side JP looks great 5v5, that stint in the minor really added some grit and urgency to his game. He looks much better along the boards and still has that flare when he finds open ice.
He really should be on PP, it makes no sense. Especially as the PP struggles so the common excuse of "don't change what works" doesn't even apply.

I'd get it if he was visibly struggling but clearly he's coming to his own in NHL and has been having good success in 5v5 recently. If he has clear chemistry with McDavid, why not put him on PP with him as well?

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Best thing is that he still
looks little raw. When he gets more experience and confidence he has potential to be really good one.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
If I calculated correctly (and I'm pretty sure I did) Jesse's esg/60 is now top15 in the NHL (ahead of e.g. Tavares, Matthews, Tarasenko, Kane, Laine, Tkatchuk, Wheeler and every other Oiler).

However, much more is naturally needed for TM to give him any PP time. It seems like it's more important to keep Jesse's total numbers lowish than to collect as many points as possible. I wonder if the GMs of the other teams are really so dumb that they don't see beyond that. I'm surprised if that's the case as I thought also the GMs should be better than in any other league.

Anyway, I'm very happy he's scoring like this anyway and proving his worth also defensively. It's also wonderful he and McDavid show this kind of chemistry already at this stage/age.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
So glad to see him do well.

I was always pretty positive about Jesse's development and potential but he's currently outdoing my expectations.. of course getting to play next to Connor McDavid is a very fortunate place to be but to get a spot there you do have to be a good player and have good chemistry with Connor which Jesse definitely seems to. He always had the tools to be a star player in the league and im confident that with further development he'll get there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If I calculated correctly (and I'm pretty sure I did) Jesse's esg/60 is now top15 in the NHL (ahead of e.g. Tavares, Matthews, Tarasenko, Kane, Laine, Tkatchuk, Wheeler and every other Oiler).

However, much more is naturally needed for TM to give him any PP time. It seems like it's more important to keep Jesse's total numbers lowish than to collect as many points as possible. I wonder if the GMs of the other teams are really so dumb that they don't see beyond that. I'm surprised if that's the case as I thought also the GMs should be better than in any other league.

Anyway, I'm very happy he's scoring like this anyway and proving his worth also defensively. It's also wonderful he and McDavid show this kind of chemistry already at this stage/age.

You must be a happy fan, you've been the biggest supporter of Jesse and have made the best contributions to his thread on HFOil.

He's affirming that faith you've had in him. I've always backed him too and I'm so happy to see his play, he's dominating out there and active every shift.

He's been the best fit I've seen on McDavids wing.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
You must be a happy fan, you've been the biggest supporter of Jesse and have made the best contributions to his thread on HFOil.

He's affirming that faith you've had in him. I've always backed him too and I'm so happy to see his play, he's dominating out there and active every shift.

I agree they seems like a great fit, both very speedy, Connor with his amazing vision and overall package and Jesse's a good shot and actually a pretty damn good passer as well.. most importantly they just seem to have that chemistry and work together well. These two will an amazing duo for oilers for years to come I hope.. like Gretzky and Kurri all over again.. though that's getting ahead of myself a bit.

Reactions: snipes

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

Thanks a lot for your kind words! Sometimes I wonder what's made me spend so much time to defend Jesse. I basically shouldn't be a person like that, but I somehow felt so certain in this particular case. It's polite guys like you (who also kept believing in Jesse) that kept me insane while it felt like fighting against wind mills :) But that's enough of myself. The past is past and I along with many others am glad things look much better now.

As I wrote earlier he'd probably been drafted at #1 in many other years. It's a kind of a shame Matthews happened to be in the same draft with him and Laine, as it'd been nice if either of them would've become the first Finn ever drafted at #1. Anyway that's what Jesse's potential should be and I believe we've seen only a small, but very important glimpse of that. Once he really gets his shot going (PP) that's gonna add a whole new dimension.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
What I almost liked the most was what Jesse shouted to Lucic and how he reacted after the goal. That was some real passion and a sign he's becoming more confident all the time. Complimenting a player for a great pass is also a good way to ensure those passes will keep coming.

It helps Jesse so much that he can skate away from the others and just slide at the end. That way he can just concentrate on finishing.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Thanks a lot for your kind words! Sometimes I wonder what's made me spend so much time to defend Jesse. I basically shouldn't be a person like that, but I somehow felt so certain in this particular case. It's polite guys like you (who also kept believing in Jesse) that kept me insane while it felt like fighting against wind mills :) But that's enough of myself. The past is past and I along with many others am glad things look much better now.

As I wrote earlier he'd probably been drafted at #1 in many other years. It's a kind of a shame Matthews happened to be in the same draft with him and Laine, as it'd been nice if either of them would've become the first Finn ever drafted at #1. Anyway that's what Jesse's potential should be and I believe we've seen only a small, but very important glimpse of that. Once he really gets his shot going (PP) that's gonna add a whole new dimension.

No problem, good to see that belief starting to get rewarded.

I agree 100 percent, I mean he's on almost a 31 goal pace over a full season with zero PP time and limited minutes. I'm most impressed with his effort and the way he hounds the puck defensively.

Hard to believe he's only 19. With McDavid being only 20, this duo is going to be lethal for years to come.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
No problem, good to see that belief starting to get rewarded.

I agree 100 percent, I mean he's on almost a 31 goal pace over a full season with zero PP time and limited minutes. I'm most impressed with his effort and the way he hounds the puck defensively.

Hard to believe he's only 19. With McDavid being only 20, this duo is going to be lethal for years to come.

Yes. It's very rare that there are two players that are this talented, this young, are made for each other AND are playing in the same team. Of course there are some other great players, too, but it's hard to imagine who could be a better match for McDavid for the following years, and I believe that'll be one of the things that'll keep McDavid happy in Edmonton. And Jesse, too.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad