RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who cares if he's dumb or not btw? Teemu Selanne is dumb as bricks, he turned out an ok hockey player.

Yeah when this English talk goes with Pulju I always think of Selanne, I don't consider his english that good considering how long he has lived outside of Finland and he did have an okay career.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I think calling someone dumb because they don't speak your language is.... well dumb. I speak one language (english) and think that we are kind of spoiled and even rude because we always expect others to learn our language, even when we are visiting their countries. Many of us never stop and think about how difficult it can be to learn a foreign launguage. Now if Puljujärvi is is dumb because of his English skills then I would be considered a full blown vegetable, because I have made an attempt to learn French and Spanish (was even a mandatory class in school) and all I'm left with is being able to say hello goodbye Thank you and can I have another beer.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
I think calling someone dumb because they don't speak your language is.... well dumb. I speak one language (english) and think that we are kind of spoiled and even rude because we always expect others to learn our language, even when we are visiting their countries. Many of us never stop and think about how difficult it can be to learn a foreign launguage. Now if Puljujärvi is is dumb because of his English skills then I would be considered a full blown vegetable, because I have made an attempt to learn French and Spanish (was even a mandatory class in school) and all I'm left with is being able to say hello goodbye Thank you and can I have another beer.
Agreed. It's mandatory to take French in Canada till the 9th grade yet my vocabulary is as limited as yours. Its ridiculous to call someone stupid because they have not grasped a foreign language.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Who cares if his actual IQ is 70 or 170?

Hockey IQ is discussion-worthy but I do not believe the two have any strong correlation.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

Hockey IQ is discussion-worthy but I do not believe the two have any strong correlation.
Yup. Ryan Smyth was often considered not very "smart" and I believe his pre-draft interviews were really bad because he had bad talking skills, but the guy had a great career. No correlation at all.

However, back to main topic, JP has played way better as of late. I still doubt his high end offensive potential as a lone piece on a line, but he will be great complimentary 2-way winger. Its a good thing he will be stapled to Mcdavid for the rest of his career.

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Didn't expect Pulju's IQ and english skills to still be such a hot topic.. A lot of truly greathockey players haven't been exactly eloquent wether they are native speakers or not.

Anyway, it's good to see the guy get some success in the NHL rink and it's looking like we will get a legit top 6 player out of him still. So many people were already completely writing him off.. or thinking he'd make a 3rd or 4th line workhorse at most even on a lot of the Finnish discussions I've seen.. no patience whatsoever when it comes to such a young player. Not everyone is like Laine or Matthews and can make a difference as 18-19 year olds in the toughest league in the world. I still dont expect Jesse to be as good as Laine at least as purely a goal scorer but maybe the difference isn't quite AS big as it seemed last season.. obviously Jesse does have his strong points over Patrik like the skating speed.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Agreed. It's mandatory to take French in Canada till the 9th grade yet my vocabulary is as limited as yours. Its ridiculous to call someone stupid because they have not grasped a foreign language.
If it's mandatory it hasn't always been. My rural Alberta school only offered it as an option in junior high and high school. Nothing in elementary school. I think, at least then, it had to be available to students, but it was up to individual provinces to decide what that meant exactly.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
They should have been kept together when they were so effective as a line when they were first put together with Lucic. It wouldn't be the first super Oiler-Finn tandem on this team.

Yeah, they were 'ok' :sarcasm:

9933.jpg

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

"Puljujarvi has also been a strong possession driver. All four of the line groupings he has played more than 20 minutes with have a Corsi over 55 per cent, with his shot rate being a nice boost there.

One of the biggest areas where Puljujarvi improves the Oilers’ ability to score is in capitalizing on rebounds. It may not sound like much, but his 0.6 rebound or second chance shots on net per 20 minutes at even strength leads the entire NHL. Those types of chances are both tough to get and extremely valuable. Rebound chances are converted to goals almost 40 per cent of the time, and since defending teams and their goaltenders recover about 90 per cent of those loose pucks, it’s a rare skill to be able to find those chances consistently.

Puljujarvi is also a strong forechecker who recovers more loose pucks than team average in the offensive zone. But where he really shines without the puck is in the neutral zone, where he’s among the team leaders in stripping pucks from opponents, and leads all Oilers forwards in loose puck recoveries."

I've said it many times but the kid has a chance to be a rare W line driver.
Just damm get the kid on pp and we could(should) see him take the next step.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

It's impossible to prove, but I believe the Oilers could have at least 5-10 goals more if they'd had him on the PP from the start of the season. By that I don't mean Jesse would've scored that many goals (though it's completely possible as some players with a great shot create most of their goals on the PP), but his shot and QBing skills should've created more room for McDavid, Drai and the others. I don't think I've ever seen such a waste of talent on the PP as it's been in the Oilers this season.

IMO Pulju is a prototype of a great PP player and with his current condifence he should be ready to take that step in the NHL too. In any case they shouldn't have lost anything if they'd given it a go in one of the units.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It seems pretty wierd that every forward on Oilers get PP time - except Pulju. Oilers PP suck, but he still doesnt get one second on the PP. I have a hard time understanding why?

Reactions: Ippenator

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland

Indeed. I find it funny as hell that people here make these longass winding posts on how intelligence is overrated and "hard to measure", ending on long explanation on how(ever) Jessie P in any case is not dumb at all because: blaa blaa blaa.

[MOD]

P.S. Jessie P seems dumb as boots to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I think it's more haters gonna hate type of thing when some looney calls some player stupid outside the ice. Why weren't there a huge question mark always stamped on him when he was hyped as a prospect? Why didn't analysts ever call him stupid? That should be a known fact from a long time ago if he was stupid but narrow minded haters make hasty judgements cause they don't understand that every individual is different.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Well, on Puljujärvi's English, it's pretty difficult for me to relate personally even though I'm Finnish. I think the first 5 years or so of English classes all I did was ask the teacher some vocab questions every few classes and collect perfect marks - I learned pretty much all my English just by playing video games and watching movies or TV series. I imagine that's how it is for most people, at least to some extent.

Still, in general his English really is very bad. It's something I'd expect out of a 10-year-old whose only exposure to English would be in English classes of the Finnish school system. I think that even as a 9-year-old you learned to form more coherent sentences. It's very difficult for me to understand, even relating to how my classmates' English was when I was around 9-11 years old.

Unlike many countries, there rarely are Finnish dubs of movies and TV-series and video game interfaces for instance almost never are in Finnish. You tend to just learn naturally. For a Finnish person the general standard of English I'd expect is far greater than that of a Russian player or even German, French.

Yea possibly, however if you're french or german you'll pick it up quicker since they're indo-european languages like English (especially for Germans since both English and German are Germanic languages).

Intelligence isn't linear... why Kake Randelin thinks your ability to linguistically express yourself covers your entire brains arsenal is beyond me.

I'm fluent in 4 languages; I don't feel like 200% smarter than people who speak 2 :laugh:

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Indeed. I find it funny as hell that people here make these longass winding posts on how intelligence is overrated and "hard to measure", ending on long explanation on how(ever) Jessie P in any case is not dumb at all because: blaa blaa blaa.

[MOD]

P.S. Jessie P seems dumb as boots to me.

Try to understand the posts you read before making smart ass remarks on us not getting it.

No one is saying your posts suggest anything about Jesse's hockey IQ. You're not saying Jesse has low hockey IQ. We get it.

But implying a person is dumb or unintelligent without actually knowing the guy we take issue with. To me and many others he comes off a normal humble kid in interviews making the typical cliche responses like 99 percent of all hockey players do. Maybe it's just you and not us.

Reactions: HockeyHistorian

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Don't worry. Many of us foreigners do assume that monolinguistic english speakers are usually just this side of full blown vegetables...:sarcasm:

"Puljujarvi has also been a strong possession driver. All four of the line groupings he has played more than 20 minutes with have a Corsi over 55 per cent, with his shot rate being a nice boost there.

One of the biggest areas where Puljujarvi improves the Oilers’ ability to score is in capitalizing on rebounds. It may not sound like much, but his 0.6 rebound or second chance shots on net per 20 minutes at even strength leads the entire NHL. Those types of chances are both tough to get and extremely valuable. Rebound chances are converted to goals almost 40 per cent of the time, and since defending teams and their goaltenders recover about 90 per cent of those loose pucks, it’s a rare skill to be able to find those chances consistently.

Puljujarvi is also a strong forechecker who recovers more loose pucks than team average in the offensive zone. But where he really shines without the puck is in the neutral zone, where he’s among the team leaders in stripping pucks from opponents, and leads all Oilers forwards in loose puck recoveries."

I've said it many times but the kid has a chance to be a rare W line driver.

Does reading that not make you think immediately of Evander Kane? Who's a one man third line, but doesn't really improve his linemates when put with more talented players unless they're insanely smart and can play off of him. That's always been my concern with Pulju & why I was on here defending CBJ for picking PLD instead. And all that just makes me think even more of Evander. :dunno:

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Don't worry. Many of us foreigners do assume that monolinguistic english speakers are usually just this side of full blown vegetables...:sarcasm:

Does reading that not make you think immediately of Evander Kane? Who's a one man third line, but doesn't really improve his linemates when put with more talented players unless they're insanely smart and can play off of him. That's always been my concern with Pulju & why I was on here defending CBJ for picking PLD instead. And all that just makes me think even more of Evander. :dunno:

I don't see Kane in Pulju, especially if we look at Puljus work in the juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad