RW Jesse Puljujarvi - Bakersfield Condors, AHL (2016, 4th, EDM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
There's something about that puck hounding, the high energy and impatient play etc that makes me wonder if he has ADHD.

He's never quite had composure/patience in his game he goes all in to stay stimulated and he tends to lose focus.

It would explain the confusion in how some people see his IQ/vision while others notice his lack of concentration and see that as bad vision
That playstyle might come from his bandy background.. (not sure, how it's spelled in english) That sport was also the reason for Pulju having such high VOmax readings.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Wheeler was and is a great comparison for Jesse, altough Jesse is more of a shooter. If he gets to play with Connor, he could max around 35+45. That would be quite awesome for Edmonton.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
That playstyle might come from his bandy background.. (not sure, how it's spelled in english) That sport was also the reason for Pulju having such high VOmax readings.

How bandy is less patience sport than hockey?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Haha yea we do. Russia hasn't been trying to occupy us lately so we just attack eachother instead

We're team Finland everywhere I guess. If some one says something provocative, some one has to check in to show that not all finns think like that. :D Im ok with it. I just dont want to start to dig for proof that some one actually talked like I said about Puljus hockey IQ. Because I dont remember was it in R/hockey or in hf, and theres some time. It was said when he was doing bad last season.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
I believe Lucic has had some hand in helping JP with his game, I think he saw some similarities to himself with both being ideal power-forwards and he's apparently quite the mentor. You really started to see it when JP came back from his california demotion when they were playing together, Pulju was playing harder on the boards and double-hitting guys with Lucic etc. The increased coordination and such is propably largely just JP finding his confidence.

We're team Finland everywhere I guess. If some one says something provocative, some one has to check in to show that not all finns think like that. :D

OT but this is really just the influence of post-war USSR/Stalin era where people were taught into that hush hush culture to avoid provoking the neighbour. It's not native to finnish culture.

Reactions: Ippenator

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Found this from Edmontons game thread, McDavid has assisted 2/5 of those goals so its not like all of those are on just McDavid.

So damm happy for JP right now.

Great stat. Mclellen sat him out once despite Jesse having one of the better games the night before. Which just begs the question, is he getting in Jesse's way or is it just a matter of time before Puljujarvi breaks out when if he gets the chance with more prime ice time. I may have took a ribbing for a thread I made earlier this year that Puljujarvi was breaking out this season. But it certainly is trending this way, if the coach does what he should be doing from the start of the year. Play the kid. This is the only way for him to get better. And he has deserved more ice time based on his play of late.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Great stat. Mclellen sat him out once despite Jesse having one of the better games the night before. Which just begs the question, is he getting in Jesse's way or is it just a matter of time before Puljujarvi breaks out when if he gets the chance with more prime ice time. I may have took a ribbing for a thread I made earlier this year that Puljujarvi was breaking out this season. But it certainly is trending this way, if the coach does what he should be doing from the start of the year. Play the kid. This is the only way for him to get better. And he has deserved more ice time based on his play of late.
They claimed afterwards that the benching was done because he needed rest. Whether that's believable or not is another thing.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Yea could be, how long did he play bandy for? I definitely had confusing moments shuffling between bandy to hockey as a kid.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
What the heck is "academic intelligence?" I've met regular working class folks who speak better English than I do and I have a master's degree.

Some people are able to pick up and master foreign languages better than others. It has very little to no indication of one's intelligence in the actual sense of the word. A math genius may suck at speaking foreign languages while those who speak multiple languages fluently might suck at math.

Hard to know what you mean with actual intelligence; what the heck is "actual intelligence"? But obviously being able to pick up languages quickly shows at least one form of intelligence.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
We're team Finland everywhere I guess. If some one says something provocative, some one has to check in to show that not all finns think like that. :D Im ok with it. I just dont want to start to dig for proof that some one actually talked like I said about Puljus hockey IQ. Because I dont remember was it in R/hockey or in hf, and theres some time. It was said when he was doing bad last season.

If I have a opinion that differs from other Finns opinion I will bloody well say it. I'm not into that commieshit that everybody has to agree on everything.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Hard to know what you mean with actual intelligence; what the heck is "actual intelligence"? But obviously being able to pick up languages quickly shows at least one form of intelligence.

It's also intelligence to be able to realize that not being good at languages may have nothing to do with intelligence. Someone I know very well was a miracle child and very good in e.g. math. A very clever guy, but he struggled with English until the age of 18-20. I'd have many more examples too, beginning from professors and people at highly aprreciated jobs. It really depends on the person, but being good at languages is just one narrow area.

As I wrote earlier I was disappointed Jesse didn't study English more before coming to NA, but then again him spending all his time at the rink is beginning to pay off. I'm sure a lot of people who have spent their lives studying languages would love to change places with Jesse.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
They claimed afterwards that the benching was done because he needed rest. Whether that's believable or not is another thing.

Edmonton Journal just wrote this:

Jesse Puljujarvi had an ugly sequence early in the first period where he coughed up the puck in the neutral zone, then got deked out of his skates by Artemi Panarin on a scoring chance against. But Puljujarvi came on strong in the third period, working hard, passing well and combining with Connor McDavid on two brilliant goals. Columbus passed over Puljujarvi in the 2016 draft, and much as been made of that, so it was satisfying to see Puljujarvi have a strong game against CBJ. At the same time, he’s locking down a spot on the Oilers right now and it’s a huge relief to see him realizing his vast potential, mainly through the application of hard work. It was only a few weeks ago, after all, that Oilers coach Todd McLellan mused about sending Puljujarvi down to the AHL. P.S. After Puljujarvi’s goal, McDavid was actually smiling, something I had not seen in awhile.

I sure hope this is just the journalist's own thoughts, but if that's true it's a bit alarming.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
It's also intelligence to be able to realize that not being good at languages may have nothing to do with intelligence. Someone I know very well was a miracle child and very good in e.g. math. A very clever guy, but he struggled with English until the age of 18-20. I'd have many more examples too, beginning from professors and people at highly aprreciated jobs. It really depends on the person, but being good at languages is just one narrow area.

As I wrote earlier I was disappointed Jesse didn't study English more before coming to NA, but then again him spending all his time at the rink is beginning to pay off. I'm sure a lot of people who have spent their lives studying languages would love to change places with Jesse.

You reckon a intelligent guy who is planning to have a career as a NHL hockey player will decide that he does not need to learn the language before entering the league?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
You reckon a intelligent guy who is planning to have a career as a NHL hockey player will decide that he does not need to learn the language before entering the league?

An intellectual person should realize it's not this simple. There are many youngsters who would not study the language more than necessary to pass the school, especially if their parents are not living in the same town and if all their thoughts are on hockey.

After all, Jesse was playing with adults in a team that had the best and the widest roster and in which the head coach was the demanding Lauri Marjamäki, who is now the head coach of the national team. It took a lot of work to get the place in the roster and then the year was filled with all the FEL and CHL games, playoffs, U18 and U20WC, so I do understand he had some other things to think about, too.

If things like that make a person stupid there are not many clever ones left. I think this whole intellectual thing is a desparate act by people who are disappointed to see Jesse succeed. You can't call him a bust right now so it's gotta be something else. Not surprisingly the messages are coming from Finland.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

An intelligent person understands his English skills do not define him as a player. The actions on the ice do.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
On topic: Pulju is my favorite player.

Off topic: I wish we could stop this idiotic IQ debate or present actual scientific results as evidence. I think it's disrespectful to call someone stupid or say that they have low IQ (if you prefer the euphemism).

I just can't resist the temptation of saying that I really dislike the whole concept of IQ as a layperson uses it.

Reactions: td_ice

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
An intellectual person should realize it's not this simple. There are many youngsters who would not study the language more than necessary to pass the school, especially if their parents are not living in the same town and if all their thoughts are on hockey.

After all, Jesse was playing with adults in a team that had the best and the widest roster and in which the head coach was the demanding Lauri Marjamäki, who is now the head coach of the national team. It took a lot of work to get the place in the roster and then the year was filled with all the FEL and CHL games, playoffs, U18 and U20WC, so I do understand he had some other things to think about, too.

If things like that make a person stupid there are not many clever ones left. I think this whole intellectual thing is a desparate act by people who are disappointed to see Jesse succeed. You can't call him a bust right now so it's gotta be something else. Not surprisingly the messages are coming from Finland.
Saying that the guy does not seem intelligent does not mean I dislike the guy. I'm just saying what I'm seeing.

1) The guy dropped out of school
2) Has trouble learning English
3) Seems dumb in interviews

No matter how good he is at hockey, none of the listed are qualities linked with intelligence. And it's perfectly fine, not everybody needs to be intelligent. Especially if you are hockey-god. Hockey-gods triumph intelligent guys 10-0

Last edited:

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

Actually he started taking English lessons early 2016 but obviously if he has neglected his English studies in his early teens, he was last year learning stuff he likely should have learnt already.

This language-IQ-intelligence-thing is pretty dumb, f***ing Selänne doesn't speak perfect English yet and his vocabulary seems limited, but he seemed to do fine.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Lord have mercy. Do you suffer from autism? Saying that the guy does not seem intelligent does not mean I dislike the guy. I'm just saying what I'm seeing.

1) The guy dropped out of school
2) Has trouble learning English
3) Seems dumb in interviews

No matter how good he is at hockey, none of the listed are qualities linked with intelligence. And it's perfectly fine, not everybody needs to be intelligent. Especially if you are hockey-god. Hockey-gods triumph intelligent guys 10-0

No need to get personal. I didn't mean either and was actually editing the post to make it a bit more clear.

About your #3, I don't think he looks dumb at all when he speaks Finnish. Your 2nd and 3rd last lines I agree with, not quite sure about the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce