RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinozz

Jan 26, 2016
They won't play him in the NHL if he isn't ready, he'd be in the AHL and how is playing in Liiga better than AHL?
What you just said happens better in the AHL instead of Liiga.

i can't even believe some people debate that good prospects should stay one more year in liiga

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
i can't even believe some people debate that good prospects should stay one more year in liiga

I think both options can be good for a player. Which one is better is depending on the individual. I'm not going to start saying which is better for them next year. I think they and their close ones and their advisors know better than anyone of us here, which is better for them. Hindsight will be always easy for sure afterwards. I still believe that things will not go totally wrong even which way they will choose.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not every AHL team is a good development environment.

:shakehead
His progress in Finland would be slower than in NA, no matter what excuses you try.
It's just mostly (again) wanting to see him play for one more year here.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
If Pulju will be drafted in the top 5, then there is no way his NHL team would let him stay in Finland for another year. They would bring him into their development system as soon as possible allowing him to get accustomed to his new team, the team culture and everything within the organization. If he isn't NHL ready come next season, his NHL team will send him to the AHL affiliate for further development.

This basically happens with every top-level European prospect drafted by a well-managed NHL team.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Playing great again, Puljujarvi has really gotten better since WJC. He has realized he can do same things against men that he did against juniors. Has drawn two penalties half way through the game. Shot an absolute laser but hit the cross bar. Shame, would have been a really nice goal(would be great if someone has a video of it).

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Playing great again, Puljujarvi has really gotten better since WJC. He has realized he can do same things against men that he did against juniors. Has drawn two penalties half way through the game. Shot an absolute laser but hit the cross bar. Shame, would have been a really nice goal(would be great if someone has a video of it).
There you go.

http://www.iltasanomat.fi/sm-liiga/art-1454565668615.html

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
I think Laine's stickhandling is slightly better.

No offence to Pulju but the best part of that video was go-pro attached to his face. :laugh:

Great player tho and had a blast of shot tonight, shame he didn't score.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
AHL isnt clearly better place than Liiga to develop in. Doesn't really matter that much, unless the reason why you dont make it in the NHL is rink size or straight forward hockey. We've seen lesser players tear it up in the AHL, last guy was Pulkkinen. Iiro Pakarinen was 0,7ppg in AHL, 0,3 in Liiga. Pulkkinen teared the AHL. The way Pulju and Laine are playing style wise, prediction should be they should be able to jump right in the NHL. So cross the big sea when you are ready enough. It's not like you're taking clear leap forward if you become AHLer.

Pulju is already 0,5ppg in Liiga as 17, for example Pakarinen was 0,3ppg @ 22, and Pulju is getting better month by month. Pulju is of course whole different level. Laine is 0,8ppg already, and also getting better. Barkov ended up at 0,9ppg draft season, went 2nd overall. These boys got better shooting than Barkov. No I wouldn't be that surprised even if he and Laine made the cut to NHL roster next year. At that age, they're taking big steps in few months and one summer. Barkov made it with his great 2way game, these guys will make in the draft with scoring ceiling.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Puljujarvi was a no-show in today's CHL loss to Frolunda, playing on the second line with Aho centering. Made several poor choices with the puck on the PP, one led to a SH breakaway and the other almost turned into a 2-on-1. Frolunda trapped the heck out of Karpat once they took a 2-0 lead, but overall, Puljujarvi had a marginal CHL -- 0-2-2 in 13 gp playing about 15 mins a game. The same issues that caused Puljujarvi to lose ice time and shifts before the WJC -- poor decisions, losing puck battles, compete level -- resurfaced in the CHL title game.

Puljujarvi may very well ride that WJC straight into the Top 3, but he's been nowhere near as dependable and consistent as Laine has been against the same competition.

To be fair, he's playing against adults. But he's not snake bitten. He simply could be better.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I don't think there needs to be a conversation about Laine v Puljujarvi anymore. Only Laine v Matthews.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Puljujarvi was a no-show in today's CHL loss to Frolunda, playing on the second line with Aho centering. Made several poor choices with the puck on the PP, one led to a SH breakaway and the other almost turned into a 2-on-1. Frolunda trapped the heck out of Karpat once they took a 2-0 lead, but overall, Puljujarvi had a marginal CHL -- 0-2-2 in 13 gp playing about 15 mins a game. The same issues that caused Puljujarvi to lose ice time and shifts before the WJC -- poor decisions, losing puck battles, compete level -- resurfaced in the CHL title game.

Puljujarvi may very well ride that WJC straight into the Top 3, but he's been nowhere near as dependable and consistent as Laine has been against the same competition.

To be fair, he's playing against adults. But he's not snake bitten. He simply could be better.

Laine has been better and likely goes as the 2nd overall but I liked Puljus previos game, made offensive plays happen and didn't do mistakes, but he and Laine should be rested at some point, they are going to play way too many games this year.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Yep rough game for him. He had couple good chances but he missed a shot twice in a very good scoring chance on the powerplay. But it's not like many of Kärpät players were good in that game. Even Aho struggled a bit. To be fair, this was the strongest opponent they have had all season.

It is obvious why SHL is a lot better league than FEL.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Auston va Laine? Auston ainec, but if it makes for good discussion then sure lol

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
It is obvious why SHL is a lot better league than FEL.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that made no sense. Check out the group of 16, semi-finals and quarter finals. SHL teams were not "a lot better", it was actually quite even.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but that made no sense. Check out the group of 16, semi-finals and quarter finals. SHL teams were not "a lot better", it was actually quite even.
Well, ok. The top teams in the SHL are better than any of the teams in Finland. But I don't think most of the Swedish teams cared much about the tournament.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Well, ok. The top teams in the SHL are better than any of the teams in Finland. But I don't think most of the Swedish teams cared much about the tournament.

First of all just one played game between top teams from each leagues does not really prove that which league is really better. Especially, as Frölunda anyway won only barely with a one goal difference.

I don't claim that FEL is a better league than SEL, more likely SEL might be a bit better. But I believe that if there even is a quality difference like that, then it is a very marginal difference. Nothing indicates that SEL is at least a substantially better league.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't think there needs to be a conversation about Laine v Puljujarvi anymore. Only Laine v Matthews.

I could see Puljujarvi dropping to 4 or 5. Laine looks rock solidly in the top 2-3 though, and would be surprising if he went 3.

tze

Jul 12, 2014
I would still rank Pulju and Laine as equals. Puljus team is so stacked that he cannot do the stuff Laine has done, post-WJC has made this even more clear.

Then again I remember when Laine was not consired a top 5 guy in the draft (year ago). Pulju hasn't yet 'dropped' from the top 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad