RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Patrik Laine is drafted in CHL ( 2015 CHL import draft 1st round 24th overall by Sarnia Sting).
Only Jesse Puljujärvi is undrafted in CHL.

Being drafted in the CHL has no bearing on AHL eligibility, only being drafted by an NHL team while playing in the CHL matters.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Both Puljujärvi and Laine would be better off with one more year in Finland, not only to grow into their bodies but to learn to use their frames better and get more accustomed to playing against men on a consistently good level.

These are dreams and underestimating Pulju/Laine.
Just look at what Pasta, Nylander and Rantanen are doing in the AHL.

They want to play in the NHL and AHL is better option for them than Sm-liiga, they get used to the style and their teams can keep an close eye on them.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015

They want to play in the NHL and AHL is better option for them than Sm-liiga, they get used to the style and their teams can keep an close eye on them.

I think Puljujärvi could do some serious damage in AHL, much more so than in Liiga. I don't necessarily say it would be a better option for him, but at least he'd learn the language a lot faster. :laugh:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

Agreed. These guys have to get the taste of NA action as soon as possible. Younger you are the quicker you learn.

Staying in Finland for more time to "prepare" hasn't worked out for our guys, mostly because there's no one who can really make you understand what the NA game/life is all about. If you're an impact player in Liiga then that's enough.

I keep bringing up this Granlund example but it's just because i think it's a good one. He stayed in the FEL for 2 more years after his draft year and dominated, yet after he struggled in the NHL he admitted having no clue what it was like before he went there. And he was our #1 prospect. If we don't have people to fully prepare our best prospects back home then let them go as soon as possible. Sucks for the FEL, but have to look at the bigger picture.

I don't want these guys to get caught in the "preparation" cycle, years go by fast. Guys like Maatta, Ristolainen and Barkov have proven the best way for Finns to do it is to go to the NA as soon as possible. If you want to improve your skills, overall game, physics or whatever it is might as well do it overseas and learn the game and lifestyle at the same time.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014
Staying in Finland for more time to "prepare" hasn't worked out for our guys, mostly because there's no one who can really make you understand what the NA game/life is all about. If you're an impact player in Liiga then that's enough.

I keep bringing up this Granlund example but it's just because i think it's a good one. He stayed in the FEL for 2 more years after his draft year and dominated, yet after he struggled in the NHL he admitted having no clue what it was like before he went there. And he was our #1 prospect. If we don't have people to fully prepare our best prospects back home then let them go as soon as possible. Sucks for the FEL, but have to look at the bigger picture.

Donskoi. Always in the shadow of Granlund. Played 6 seasons in the SM-Liiga, didn't need an adjustment period, and now he's the better player of the two.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. These guys have to get the taste of NA action as soon as possible. Younger you are the quicker you learn.

I don't want these guys to get caught in the "preparation" cycle, years go by fast. Guys like Maatta, Ristolainen and Barkov have proven the best way for Finns to do it is to go to the NA as soon as possible. If you want to improve your skills, overall game, physics or whatever it is might as well do it overseas and learn the game and lifestyle at the same time.

True, and the fact that these will go in the top3/5 will make their Gm's want to keep them in NA, the plan is to build around them, potentially become franchise players for them, they won't be taking any extra risks.

These 2 also can easily play in the AHL and logg top minutes.

Donskoi. Always in the shadow of Granlund. Played 6 seasons in the SM-Liiga, didn't need an adjustment period, and now he's the better player of the two.

You can say that after 1 half?
And Donskoi isn't an impact player, and likely never will be.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
True, and the fact that these will go in the top3/5 will make their Gm's want to keep them in NA, the plan is to build around them, potentially become franchise players for them, they won't be taking any extra risks.

These 2 also can easily play in the AHL and logg top minutes.

You can say that after 1 half?

Well, I think he can easily say that, as right NOW this seems to be true. But I'm not convinced if it will be like this in the long run. I somehow believe that even with his clear weaknesses like his acceleration and his lack of strength, Granlund has quite much more upside than Donskoi, to develop himself to become a very good NHL-player.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well, I think he can easily say that, as right NOW this seems to be true. But I'm not convinced if it will be like this in the long run. I somehow believe that even his clear weaknesses like his acceleration and his lack of strength, Granlund has quite much more upside than Donskoi, to develop himself to become a very good NHL-player.

8 points in the 1st 21 games, 13 in 21 games after that, really really small sample size.

edit 13 points in the last 22 games.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu

What? He's having an amazing debut season in the NHL and seems to fit right in.

What makes you think he'll never be an impact player in the NHL?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Completely different situations. Nylander and Rantanen had already played a lot against men and Rantanen's game didn't have the flaws/weaknesses that Pulju and Laine have.

Puljujärvi has said that he expects to play in Liiga next season.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

It's not. His situation was vastly different. He had injury issues and he wasn't even close to being physically ready (still isn't at his peak). Puljujärvi and Laine are in nohurry to get to NHL, they are still 17 year olds, don't dominate night in night out nor are well over point-per-game players. People overestimate the talent level in Liiga currently, several scouts have publicly said the quality of Liiga is not very high right now so having an okay-to-good game here and then doesn't mean that the player is ready to step right in to the NHL. Some Liiga players have trouble jumping into the EHT pace.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
What? He's having an amazing debut season in the NHL and seems to fit right in.

What makes you think he'll never be an impact player in the NHL?

Can't see him being one of the leaders, expecting/hoping he'll end up as a good player(midd6) but not at a 7-9M winger.

Completely different sitautions. Nylander and Rantanen had already played a lot against men and Rantanen's game didn't have the flaws/weaknesses that Pulju and Laine have.

Puljujärvi has said that he expects to play in Liiga next season.

Pulju is playing in Liiga and will play a lot of games still in Liiga, it's 9 months to pre season including offseason, they are already 6'3/6'4 +200lbs, they are going to be their teams franchise players, they will want to keep them in NA and Pasta at 18y, 167lbs was able to dominate AHL right away.
There's no reasons why Liiga would be better than AHL for them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Can't see him being one of the leaders, expecting/hoping he'll end up as a good player(midd6) but not at a 7-9M winger.

Pulju is playing in Liiga and will play a lot of games still in Liiga, it's 9 months to pre season including offseason, they are already 6'3/6'4 +200lbs, they are going to be their teams franchise players, they will want to keep them in NA and Pasta at 18y, 167lbs was able to dominate AHL right away.
There's no reasons why Liiga would be better than AHL for them.

He had a full season of Allsvenskan behind him already.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He had a full season of Allsvenskan behind him already.

And I thought Pulju is playing in Liiga?
Pasta had 36 games in AllSvenskan on his last year, Pulju already has 38 Liiga games.

Pulju is a much much better prospect than Pasta, he's also again 200+ instead of 167lbs.
We went the same here with Rantanen last year how he's not ready and another year in Liiga is the best option for him.
It's just ostly wanting to see them for another year instead of thinking their development.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
And I thought Pulju is playing in Liiga?
Pasta had 36 games in AllSvenskan on his last year, Pulju already has 38 Liiga games.

Pulju is a much much better prospect than Pasta, he's also again 200+ instead of 167lbs.
We went the same here with Rantanen last year how he's not ready and another year in Liiga is the best option for him.
It's just ostly wanting to see them for another year instead of thinking their development.

I seriously think Pulju would benefit by staying in FEL for additional year. I see him as much rawer prospect than Rantanen or Laine. I mean, he is obviously a player with technically no major flaws, but getting a full year with top6 responsibilities in Kärpät would definitely be helpful. Racking up points and honing his puck control by getting comfortable with full-grown body are things he could totally improve in liiga. But also, why not the NA hockey? His game is probably more suited for that. It depends on the rest of the season and which team drafts him obviously.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I seriously think Pulju would benefit by staying in FEL for additional year. I see him as much rawer prospect than Rantanen or Laine. I mean, he is obviously a player with technically no major flaws, but getting a full year with top6 responsibilities in Kärpät would definitely be helpful. Racking up points and honing his puck control by getting comfortable with full-grown body are things he could totally improve in liiga. But also, why not the NA hockey? His game is probably more suited for that. It depends on the rest of the season and which team drafts him obviously.

He'd be doing that same thing in the AHL next year while learning the NHL game.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki

:facepalm:

He's not better. He has decent wheels and good puck skills but his finishing is poor. If he went to the NA earlier i bet he'd be a better finisher. Not that Granlund is a good finisher but he's always been a playmaker because of his great vision so it's kind of expected. And Donskoi still has a lot to learn how to do the little things right in the NHL and how to battle in the corners, if you've watched the games he's been a bit of up and down in that regard.

Besides, playing 6 years in Liiga is different than playing there for 1 or 2 seasons before going to the NHL. Obviously you will have a better physique if you have 3x more time to train.

It's not. His situation was vastly different. He had injury issues and he wasn't even close to being physically ready (still isn't at his peak). Puljujärvi and Laine are in nohurry to get to NHL, they are still 17 year olds, don't dominate night in night out nor are well over point-per-game players. People overestimate the talent level in Liiga currently, several scouts have publicly said the quality of Liiga is not very high right now so having an okay-to-good game here and then doesn't mean that the player is ready to step right in to the NHL. Some Liiga players have trouble jumping into the EHT pace.

This is exactly the point. If you stay in Finland where you have different methods of training vs NA you're just stalling time. I bet if Granlund went to NA a year sooner he'd have already taken the next (and perhaps the final) step forward. And i didn't talk about going specifically to the NHL right away. Playing in the AHL is much more beneficial for Finns in my opinion. Our guys just don't have much experience from the small rink, less time and space hockey - and this is what came as a surprise for Granlund too. Even though he knew that was the game overseas it's different to think about what it's going to be like than actually seeing it first hand.

Puljujarvi is exactly the type of player who needs to see what the NA game is about as quickly as possible. From what i've seen he makes a lot of plays/shooting/etc. what would be a split second too late in NA game.

The way i see it, if he stays in Liiga for one more year he could still struggle in the AHL at first and then slowly pick it up during the course of the season. If he goes to the AHL now he could already be NHL ready the year after (or later in the season next year).

Trainers in the NHL prepare young players for NHL hockey every single year. They know what it takes.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

That's my point as well. The team that drafts him would benefit more in the long run the more ready he is for NHL. It's not good if he can play/survive, he needs to be able to really contribute right away.

Just to clarify, this isn't jsut my opinion. I've mentioend it before that the December issue of Jääkiekkolehti had comparison between Puljujärvi and Laine with comments from coaches and scouts and the weaknesses mentioned under some attributes definitely indicate they'd need one more season in Finland.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That's my point as well. The team that drafts him would benefit more in the long run the more ready he is for NHL. It's not good if he can play/survive, he needs to be able to really contribute right away.

Just to clarify, this isn't jsut my opinion. I've mentioend it before that the December issue of Jääkiekkolehti had comparison between Puljujärvi and Laine with comments from coaches and scouts and the weaknesses mentioned under some attributes definitely indicate they'd need one more season in Finland.

I just don't understand the concept of staying in Liiga to grow one more year. There's not a single player who's been NHL ready after one year in Liiga. Every single time they still need seasoning in the AHL.

You can do the same type of growing (or better actually), play top 6 minutes, learn the game in the AHL. And possibly get some NHL experience to boost your morale. As a young player you get these "ah i see this is what it takes" feels the closer you get to the NHL. Staying in Finland you get none of that and you'll still be as clueless the year after vs next year.

But overall i guess one more year in Finland wouldn't hurt that much (for Pulju he has to learn some english :D). Anything beyond that is just detrimental in my opinion.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I just don't understand the concept of staying in Liiga to grow one more year. There's not a single player who's been NHL ready after one year in Liiga. Every single time they still need seasoning in the AHL.

You can do the same type of growing (or better actually), play top 6 minutes, learn the game in the AHL. And possibly get some NHL experience to boost your morale. As a young player you get these "ah i see this is what it takes" feels the closer you get to the NHL. Staying in Finland you get none of that and you'll still be as clueless the year after vs next year.

But overall i guess one more year in Finland wouldn't hurt that much (for Pulju he has to learn some english :D). Anything beyond that is just detrimental in my opinion.

There's no better way of learning a language than going to a place where it's spoken and having to listen and use it every day, so that's not a reason to stay in Finland. There are other reasons for staying in Finland though.

tinozz

Jan 26, 2016
There's no better way of learning a language than going to a place where it's spoken and having to listen and use it every day, so that's not a reason to stay in Finland. There are other reasons for staying in Finland though.

like what reasons? playing in a ****** slow league

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

They won't play him in the NHL if he isn't ready, he'd be in the AHL and how is playing in Liiga better than AHL?
What you just said happens better in the AHL instead of Liiga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad