RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sputniker

Jan 5, 2016
Not the best or the only argument that can be said about leagues quality but this season there is not a line in FEL that is even close in quality to Granlunds or Barkovs line.

This is quite an false argument indeed. Maybe we should discuss the dropped quality of the players, not the league's level. There is statistic proving that FEL's overall level has risen.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
If the player quality has dropped, how that wouldn't affect the level of the whole league? I can't understand that.

Ok, I must admit that the level hasn't dropped that much since Granlund years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
5'10", average skating-Granlund scored 13 goals in 43 games as a 17 yr old.

Pulju has 8 goals in 42 games.

Granlund has 22 goals in 211 NHL games.

Now no one needs to step out and tell me how this is pointless because i know it is, and im not saying Pulju won't be the better goalscorer in the NHL. I guess i just keep reminding myself not to expect these guys to become elite scorers in the NHL, rather hope for it.

Fact is it doesn't matter much that he is 17. He's got the speed and size to compete well enough to get himself into scoring areas. Players don't change as much as people think from draft year onwards, years go by really fast. I used to think this way and every single time the prospect didn't meet my expectations down the road.

Not going to start anything here, and again im not comparing Pulju to Granlund. Just pointing out that just because he's only 17 it doesn't mean he's going to come out and explode for 30 goals next year assuming he stays in Finland.

Barkov is a damn good comparison as far as offensive potential goes because he's the recent guy to be in this position. He scored 48 points in 53 games in his draft year. For a 2-way center these numbers are huge. And now in his 3rd NHL season he's going to put up around 65 points.

I feel like if we truly had an elite offensive prospect he'd tear the FEL apart in his draft year. This is why i think Laine projects as a 35+30 kind of guy and Pulju 20+35 type of guy. Just because they're in the top 3 doesn't mean we're going to have ourselves high-end elite NHL point producers.

The WJC's have clouded a lot of people's views on these two guys i feel like. They had one hell of a tournament, and everything seemed to click. But there have been a lot of no-name NHL guys who have gone on a tear in junior tournaments over the years. I still think what you do in the league you're playing in is the best measurement stick.

Now if we had a player of Puljus speed and Laines shot, along with all the other good offensive qualities these guys have, THAT's an elite prospect. Then it would be fair to compare this Lainejärvi to guys like Kovalchuk. But as it stands i think both of these guys miss out on the elite department. (altho i think Laine has a shot at it, just not as sure-bet as people think)

Very well put. One thing I disagree with is players not developing. Maybe they aren't guaranteed to explode, but the vast majority of good players continue developing throughout their careers by adding new elements to their game. Now that may not mean an offensive increase though.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
The level of the FEL has dropped too though.

I don't buy this. Every year people say this same and this have been 15 years to same thing. It's not dropped, yes every year some best players go KHL, SEL, AHL and NHL, but every year there comes new players who get's more ice time than last year and they start to put lot points. I say, we have larger group good top league players than ever.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Comparing Barkovs and Granlunds points production to Laine / Pulju is not relevant.

1) FEL avg scoring per game has gone down 0,7 goals per game from Barkovs days.

2) Both Barkov and Granlund played in SUPERELITE line. Both Pulju and Laine are playing in 2nd line with much less skilled linesmen. Barkov played with Ville Nieminen and Jannik Hansen. Granlund with Peltonen and Pesonen.

Taking these facts in consideration Puljus and especially Laines point production is in elite level.

Barkov had the same PPG with Nieminen and Haapala (who didn't score a point in the next 20 or so games and dropped out of the lineup without Barkov, only to become a liiga player two seasons later). And Nieminens PPG went up 100% from 2011-12 without Barkov to 2013 with Barkov, and again 60% down the next season without Barkov and ended his career a year later.

Barkov didn't have prime Nieminen next to him even if Nieminen had his career year next to Barkov.

Hansen played 20 games with Barkov, while it's almost 40% of the season, Hansen had the exact same PPG pace as the 18-year-old Haapala with Barkov. It's not like Barkov was able to leech points off of Hansen. Hansen wasn't a Karlsson level lock-out player.

myrsky

Sep 4, 2014

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/janne-niinimaa-is-a-huge-fan-of-laine-and-puljujarvi-for-draft

I don't necessarily agree with that, but interesting comparison all the same.

I'd say that he is like Lehtinen in regard to his attitude, but not his skill set. Puljujärvi is a relentless worker on (and off) the ice, but at times he seems to be skating a bit too aimlessly. Lehtinen comparison was easy to see in the WJC where Puljujärvi was literally all over the ice and was frequently the first forward back in the defensive zone. Many times he was actually playing like a center, helping out the D in the left side corner although he was/is a RW. Lehtinen used to do that kind of thing when playing with Koivu and Selänne or Modano and Hull. I think the comparison springs mostly from that.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I'd say that he is like Lehtinen in regard to his attitude, but not his skill set. Puljujärvi is a relentless worker on (and off) the ice, but at times he seems to be skating a bit too aimlessly. Lehtinen comparison was easy to see in the WJC where Puljujärvi was literally all over the ice and was frequently the first forward back in the defensive zone. Many times he was actually playing like a center, helping out the D in the left side corner although he was/is a RW. Lehtinen used to do that kind of thing when playing with Koivu and Selänne or Modano and Hull. I think the comparison springs mostly from that.

I agree with this analysis. I don't see the defensive awareness of a great defensive forward like Lehtinen in him. He "thinks" the game offensively more so than defensively. He just seems to be involved in every play because he's a relentless motor that never stops running, and his speed allows for him to be the first forward back in the D zone. But on a 82 game schedule the durability will become an issue if he continues to play that way, so he's gonna have to readjust and pick his spots on the ice as he matures.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Is that older guy with Karpat's hat Puljujarvi's dad? They showed him in both clips.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
I wonder if who ever draft him would try to trade for Aho from the Canes. They seem to have great chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille