RW/C Elias Pettersson - Växjö Lakers HC, SHL (2017, 5th, VAN) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I don't get how anyone who watches him play can think that his skills won't translate over to NHL. Sure he may not be a 90 point forward like SOME people are suggesting... but if you actually watch him through a game and see how many chances he creates, even if they don't end up as goals... His stats actually DO reflect how good he is. It's not like he's riding shotgun with good players, given only offensive starts, or just having a lucky year where he's standing in the right places to pick up points. No. he's actually creating chances and capitalizing. That will translate no matter how much he weighs or how small the ice is.
I think quietly a lot of people are thinking he has that type of potential.
But, 90 point seasons are rare in today’s game. So much has to go right in a players development. Coaching, teammates, health etc...

After what he’s done this season even if you don’t expect him to be a top point producer at the NHL level, I don’t know if anyone would truly by shocked to see it happen anymore.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Trying to block the shot? most players would've shot it right into the shin pads. Elias dragged it to create a shooting lane and shot it all in one motion.

Wrong highlight.

I'm responding to the assist. The RD went after Pettersson creating a passing lane. The goalie was squared to face Elias and had good positioning. RD should have picked up the trailing forward and took away the pass forcing Elias to shoot.

LOL and also tried to one handed poke check 4 feet from his goalie. Then he trips over his goalie! comical.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Wrong highlight.

I'm responding to the assist. The RD went after Pettersson creating a passing lane. The goalie was squared to face Elias and had good positioning. RD should have picked up the trailing forward.
it was a poor play by him, but good players tend to draw away defenders all the time, no matter what league. Whether it's McDavid, Kucherov, Mackinnon, etc.
Pettersson IS the best player in the league and defencemen panic when he has the puck.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
it was a poor play by him, but good players tend to draw away defenders all the time, no matter what league. Whether it's McDavid, Kucherov, Mackinnon, etc.
Pettersson IS the best player in the league and defencemen panic when he has the puck.

It was a poor play.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
is that not what i just said?

It is what you just said, was just reiterating because of the added hypotheticals. It's obvious that SHL is a different level than the NHL. So he probably is thinking at an NHL level. I don't know. He looks like he has some serious skills. That snipe was a beauty. The way he curled his stick on the release was pretty impressive.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
It is what you just said, was just reiterating because of the added hypotheticals. It's obvious that SHL is a different level than the NHL. So he probably is thinking at an NHL level. I don't know. He looks like he has some serious skills. That snipe was a beauty. The way he curled his stick on the release was pretty impressive.
The classic excuse that the league is bad so the play is bad.

Sorry but you cant fool anyone

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

You should watch more canucks games, tons of laughable plays occur in the nhl as well. Every prospect that scores on here (not just elias, i have read this for years) people always mention that wont happen in the nhl. Nhl has some very bad players who do dumb things quite often.

I was just asking what ben hutton and gudbranson were thinking on a goal the other week.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
The classic excuse that the league is bad so the play is bad.

Sorry but you cant fool anyone

When did I say it was bad? The defender made a poor play. Pettersson made a nice play. I don't think it was an NHL caliber play because of the reasons stated.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
You should watch more canucks games, tons of laughable plays occur in the nhl as well. Every prospect that scores on here (not just elias, i have read this for years) people always mention that wont happen in the nhl. Nhl has some very bad players who do dumb things quite often.

I was just asking what ben hutton and gudbranson were thinking on a goal the other week.
I have never seen any defencemen make mistakes in the NHL.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
When did I say it was bad? The defender made a poor play. Pettersson made a nice play. I don't think it was an NHL caliber play because of the reasons stated.
I can find bad nhl defender plays also

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Leafs fans feel obliged to compare every top prospect to one of Nylander/Marner/Matthews. And of course Nylander/Marner/Matthews is always clearly better.
From what Ive seen, a lot of the 'Nylander vs XX' threads are all started by non-leaf fans hoping to start some shit.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
Can't have any discussion in here without the usual homers chiming in and attacking a poster for stating the obvious.

Pettersson is great but give it a rest.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
All these comments will be come enjoyment in a few years when he is a 90+ point getter and the best player form 17 draft, Talent is talent when you have the combination he has failure wont be a option , just like everyone said Marner's skills would not translate , all you need to do is watch these players to know they're going to be stars, Canucks dropping 3 places in the draft lottery was them actually winning it , and they will be glad they did.

Last edited:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
All these comments will be come enjoyment in a few years when he is a 90+ point getter and the best player form 17 draft, Talent is talent when you have the combination he has failure wont be a option , just like everyone said Marner's skills would not translate , all you need to do is watch these players to know they're going to be stars, Canucks dropping 2 places in the draft lottery was them actually winning it , and they will be glad they did.
Why, would have they drafted Makar instead of Heiskanen at 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad