RW Andrei Svechnikov - Barrie Colts, OHL (2018 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Really cool to see the all Russian line in the OHL (Lipanov - Nizhnikov - Svechnikov).

Love this move by Hawerchuk. Definitely tough for Russian players to come over at such a young age considering the language barrier and to have them all together to lean on one another is nice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Really cool to see the all Russian line in the OHL (Lipanov - Nizhnikov - Svechnikov).

Love this move by Hawerchuk. Definitely tough for Russian players to come over at such a young age considering the language barrier and to have them all together to lean on one another is nice.
The only one really new to NA is Lipanov. Svechnikov was in the USHL last year, while Nizhnikov has been in Canada for 3 years with his Dad.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's had periods where he's taken over, but he hasn't completely dominated a game yet (you could make an argument for the blowout vs Ottawa, but everyone on Barrie was dominating). I'm sure it's coming, I'm expecting a Taylor Hall or Marner level winger, so it's a tough standard to live up to, but he should have the skill to do it.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I went to the colts vs wolves game and he was very noticeable. He's got incredible vision, and is a great playmaker.
He's a huge guy, and he can skate very well. He's very smooth and a good puck handler. All though, without the puck he's not great. Also, he'd be even better if he would shoot a tad more. He's no matthews/mcdavid level prospect but he'll have a big impact.
He's a bigger version of marner, with less creativity but a harder shot.

Also was very intrigued with Kirill Niznitkov. Very skilled one way player. He does shy away from the corners. But he's very flashy. He's got a wicked shot and a great release. Boy can he skate, he's really quick. He's gonna have a big year as well. I expect him to be a late first rounder!

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I went to the colts vs wolves game and he was very noticeable. He's got incredible vision, and is a great playmaker.
He's a huge guy, and he can skate very well. He's very smooth and a good puck handler. All though, without the puck he's not great. Also, he'd be even better if he would shoot a tad more. He's no matthews/mcdavid level prospect but he'll have a big impact.
He's a bigger version of marner, with less creativity but a harder shot.
Then he has regressed, as expected.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Yup, going from the US to Canada will do that :huh:
Obviously. Another player player behind expectations and regressing.

I don't even want to get into what's wrong with the CHL or NA in general for Russians. Stats are overwhelming enough. I know it stalls their development.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Obviously. Another player player behind expectations and regressing.

I don't even want to get into what's wrong with the CHL or NA in general for Russians. Stats are overwhelming enough. I know it stalls their development.

It's so early you guys like seriously. Hischier took awhile to take off. It's obvious Euro's have issues adjusting to ice size, especially Russians. Give the kid some time to adapt.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
It's so early you guys like seriously. Hischier took awhile to take off. It's obvious Euro's have issues adjusting to ice size, especially Russians. Give the kid some time to adapt.
It's not that at all. It's that in playng in Russia he would not have to adapt.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's not that at all. It's that in playng in Russia he would not have to adapt.

True but who wants to play in Russia for their entire career when a better league exists here? Eventually they have to make the jump if they want to play in the best league in the world. it's not like playing in Russia for an extra 4 years prepares them for the change in ice size.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
True but who wants to play in Russia for their entire career when a better league exists here? Eventually they have to make the jump if they want to play in the best league in the world. it's not like playing in Russia for an extra 4 years prepares them for the change in ice size.
Compare Russians coming from the KHL to Russians trying the North American junior path. It seems like the ones who hop to Canada as teenagers do very bad compared to those who mature in the KHL first.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Compare Russians coming from the KHL to Russians trying the North American junior path. It seems like the ones who hop to Canada as teenagers do very bad compared to those who mature in the KHL first.

It shouldn't be that way though. I refuse to accept that Russians are just completely inept at adapting to the outside world before they hit their early 20's. It makes absolutely no sense. Why would Russians be the black sheep of all the Euros?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I would want to play in Russia if I were a hockey pro. Many others do. Obviously many don't have the choice.

Ice size is really a minor issue. Especially for forwards-

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I would want to play in Russia if I were a hockey pro. Many others do. Obviously many don't have the choice.

Ice size is really a minor issue. Especially for forwards-

For most guys it's a last resort. Unless you subscribe to the belief that Russians are just the worst people in the world at adapting. Which I find is a stupid excuse for guys that just maybe were never that good to begin with.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
A good hockey player is good on both small and big ice. Moving alone at 16-18 to a country whee you can't understand a word, that's the big adjustment you have to make. They are not machines at this stage, just kids. There are obviously cases where a player can benefit from making that jump but most are just not ready. I don't see any reason to be worried about Svechnikov, he's just too good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad