RW Andrei Svechnikov - Barrie Colts, OHL (2018 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Western Conference is alot better, it would be tougher for him to put up points compared to the Eastern Conference.

If he's in consideration for 1st overall it shouldn't matter what conference he faces.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Just gonna take him a little time to adjust to the OHL. Struggled the first game. Much better the second game. Areas to work on would be stuff he just can't do in this league as much. Would try to toe drag and it would get picked off. No look passes through the Neutral zone etc. Same issues Nizhnikov had early last year.

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
Give him time, he needs to adjust to the league. Look at Hischier, he only scored 8 points in his first 10 games with Halifax.

I am sure he will be fine when season start. He played one year in USHL, a low scoring league, and he was third in pts/Gp ratio and he was only 16 year old. He could have a 120 pts season and i would not be surprised.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Just gonna take him a little time to adjust to the OHL. Struggled the first game. Much better the second game. Areas to work on would be stuff he just can't do in this league as much. Would try to toe drag and it would get picked off. No look passes through the Neutral zone etc. Same issues Nizhnikov had early last year.

The OHL is really not a big jump at all from the USHL

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Give him time, he needs to adjust to the league. Look at Hischier, he only scored 8 points in his first 10 games with Halifax.
That probably had more to do with random variance than adjusting to the league. I looked into it last year, and imports scoring doesn't tend to dramatically increase after 10 games. Here's a post from around that time.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showt...light=hischier+nylander+imports#post127236575

There are obvious differences, but their is pre-season and two, it doesn't mean there are differences in the distribution of points. For example, Alex Nylander was actually at his best statistically early in the season, and there is no real difference with Juolevi. Sergachev had a cold streak early on, but he also started this season just as cold, and it really doesn't look out of place. It had some effect on Ehlers, who closed the season very hot.

So, I think it is fair about how much this should even be weighted when evaluating imports seasons. Looking at the last 5 imports to go in the top 10 the distribution of their points doesn't seem much different than your average CHL player. Only Hischier has such a dramatic spike in late October. It also didn't effect Yakupov, who probably had a tougher time adapting due to not being westernized.

Edit: Looking at Baertschi and Niedereiter, it really didn't have much of an effect there either.

Edit 2: Quickly crunching the numbers, the opposite of what people believe happens is happening. Looking at the players drafted in the top 10, in their first season in the CHL actually on average did better statistically in their first 13 games than they did for the remaing games played.

Import First 13 games Remaining games Season total
Sergachev .69 .87 .85
Yakupov 1.77 1.5 1.55
Niedereiter 1.08 .88 .92
Baerstchi 1.53 1.22 1.29
Juolevi .77 .72 .74
Nylander 1.46 1.27 1.32
Zacha .92 .92 .92
Ehlers .77 1.88 1.65
Burmistrov 1.62 .9 1.05
Grigorenko 1.62 1.4 1.44
Landeskog .62 .79 .75
Faska .69 1.16 1.06
Honka 1.23 .82 .9
Meier .46 .52 .52

That should be every import drafted in the top 15 numbers outside of Provorov who I didn't do because he actually came over from the USHL, so the adjustment period people are talking about here doesn't apply.
I wouldn't get to alarmed though. Svechnikov missed Hlinka to injury and may be playing himself into shape right now. Let's see how he does when the actual season starts.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Should've stayed in Russia. Development ruined.
yes, but some players are so good that this rule doesn't work. you just can't ruin them, however hard you tried.
abramov's development, for example, is in danger of being ruined, another year in the chl will be fatal for him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
yes, but some players are so good that this rule doesn't work. you just can't ruin them, however hard you tried.
abramov's development, for example, is in danger of being ruined, another year in the chl will be fatal for him.

I was being very sarcastic about Svech, kid's an absurd talent; but you're exaggerating with Abramov. Another year in the Q would be a waste for him, but it wouldn't ruin him. That said I agree that he should go to europe for a year if he doesn't crack the Jackets lineup out of camp.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I was being very sarcastic about Svech, kid's an absurd talent; but you're exaggerating with Abramov. Another year in the Q would be a waste for him, but it wouldn't ruin him. That said I agree that he should go to europe for a year if he doesn't crack the Jackets lineup out of camp.
i know you were sarcastic, he won't make the team, they will bury him in the chl for another year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't take long to get his first OHL goal. Great sequence between him and Lipanov.

Edit: And scores his 2nd with an absolute rocket of a one-timer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad