RW Andrei Svechnikov - Barrie Colts, OHL (2018 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Still a long ways away but figured he warrants the early discussion. He is the younger brother of Yevgeni of Cape Breton Screaming eagles who is expected to be a first rounder in the 2015 draft. Andrei is believed by many to actually be more talented than his brother and his stats are some of the best to come out of the youth ranks in a while. He could very well be competing for first overall and based off the size of his brother he could very well end up 6'2-6'4 when done growing as he is already 6'0. I know it's early but remember his name, definitely one to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
How to prevent him from leaving to Canadian juniors? This is the most important question about his development.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Heard a lot of good things about him. Very excited to see how he pans out. Is supposed to be more talented than his brother by a good margin. Definitely one to keep an eye out for.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
There's still a lot of time left, but I guess Svechnikov-jr. is the name every Russian youth hockey fan is familiar with.

How to prevent him from leaving to Canadian juniors? This is the most important question about his development.

Oh, that's an extremely easy thing to do: just when the time comes (somewhere in 2017), Ak Bars KHL team needs to reserve a Top6 spot for him. :)

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

I expected you Peter, you should have seen the OHL draft yesterday at least one Russian picked in each round they are finding ways to leave and now flood the GTHL. Unfortunately Yevgeni leaving for NA will increase greatly Andrei's chances of coming over because he can now receive info on the league from a trusted and close source who probably has nothing but good things to say.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Id pause the hype train until a major international event like the U17s, then we'll get the measuring stick out

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Wow he sounds and looks impressing. Andrei Svechnikov could be the best russian player since 2004 (Ovechkin, Malkin). Does anyone know if Ovechkin or Malkin was this dominant as a 14-15 year old kid.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Wow he sounds and looks impressing. Andrei Svechnikov could be the best russian player since 2004 (Ovechkin, Malkin). Does anyone know if Ovechkin or Malkin was this dominant as a 14-15 year old kid.

Ovechkin was as close to a guaranteed #1 OA pick as you can get at 16 so I would assume he was dominant at 15 as well.

Malkin came on a bit later so I can't comment.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Unlikely as Andrei is likely going to be a top 5 pick.

Just like Nick Ebert and Oliver Kylington were likely to be top 5 picks several years out from their drafts.

Nothing against Svechnikov, it'd be great if he does go top-5. But your (and Kobe Armstrong's) identifying him as a top-5 prospect is utterly and completely nonsensical. You have no idea what the rest of the 2018 draft class is up to at this point - how exactly one can pretend to gauge said draft class and where players are relative to their peers, without having witnessed any of those peers, is silly.

For that matter, most people can't even make accurate top-5 predictions the day before the draft occurs.

How about a scouting report from someone who has actually watched the kid play (I have absolutely no doubt you have never seen him live)?

Dec 13, 2010
Just like Nick Ebert and Oliver Kylington were likely to be top 5 picks several years out from their drafts.

Nothing against Svechnikov, it'd be great if he does go top-5. But your (and Kobe Armstrong's) identifying him as a top-5 prospect is utterly and completely nonsensical. You have no idea what the rest of the 2018 draft class is up to at this point - how exactly one can pretend to gauge said draft class and where players are relative to their peers, without having witnessed any of those peers, is silly.

For that matter, most people can't even make accurate top-5 predictions the day before the draft occurs.

How about a scouting report from someone who has actually watched the kid play (I have absolutely no doubt you have never seen him live)?

His 2014 WSI tournament was what really put him on the map since he dominated most of his peers, but at these ages every year is huge. There are kids from the 2013 WSI who fell off and kids who nobody was talking about in 2013 were real impressive at the 2015 WSI. Since Andrei wasn't at WSI this year it's pretty hard to gauge where exactly he falls today, but just judging by his numbers this past season he's worth talking about.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
So did Svechnikov just not make the 1999 national team then? Or is he good enough to make the 1998 team

Dec 13, 2010
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad