RW Alexander Nylander (2016, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He was bad against Boston. I understand he looked good against the Penguins group but that's some ECHL competition. I thought pretty highly of him before that Bruins game but he struggled against the best team Buffalo faced.

I'm in the same boat. With the time and space from worse competition, he (and Mittelstadt) tore it up but against structure and discipline akin to what one would expect from pros, it wasn't the same sort of result. Not that his showing for the tournament shouldn't be a positive, but the level of improvement has to be shown against quality competition.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That is incorrect.

It's not, though. Nylander earned a call-up with his late-season play last year. If he shows up at training camp and plays his way onto the opening night roster, he'll be on the roster. The team isn't going to send him back to the AHL just for the heck of it. I'm not saying he *will* make the team out of camp, just that he'll get what he earns (and, of course, what the Sabres believe is best for his development). That's kind of the reason teams have training camps, to make those evaluations.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
It's not, though. Nylander earned a call-up with his late-season play last year. If he shows up at training camp and plays his way onto the opening night roster, he'll be on the roster. The team isn't going to send him back to the AHL just for the heck of it. I'm not saying he *will* make the team out of camp, just that he'll get what he earns (and, of course, what the Sabres believe is best for his development). That's kind of the reason teams have training camps, to make those evaluations.

Making the team out of training camp isn't the issue. Him sustaining his level of play is the issue. Nylander has yet to prove he's a productive player against AHL talent. Until he does that, he should spend a good chunk of the season in the AHL. He's still only 20 years old and should be working on his game. Not spending the year in the NHL because he had a good two weeks. That's how you ruin a prospect.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Making the team out of training camp isn't the issue. Him sustaining his level of play is the issue. Nylander has yet to prove he's a productive player against AHL talent. Until he does that, he should spend a good chunk of the season in the AHL. He's still only 20 years old and should be working on his game. Not spending the year in the NHL because he had a good two weeks. That's how you ruin a prospect.

If he makes the team, play him in the NHL. If he struggles, send him down. It's not like he requires waivers or has a slide option anymore. There's no reason he "should" start in the AHL.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
If he makes the team, play him in the NHL. If he struggles, send him down. It's not like he requires waivers or has a slide option anymore. There's no reason he "should" start in the AHL.
I don't think I've ever seen a 20 year old prospect go from being a <0.5 point-per-game AHL player to a legitimate NHL player, without establishing himself in the minors. Nylander is an offensive player. He's absolutely useless in a checking role. It's not like with Girgensons, where he was able to play a 3rd or 4th line role.

Buffalo is going to ruin one-half of the Nylander's.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't think I've ever seen a 20 year old prospect go from being a <0.5 point-per-game AHL player to a legitimate NHL player, without establishing himself in the minors. Nylander is an offensive player. He's absolutely useless in a checking role. It's not like with Girgensons, where he was able to play a 3rd or 4th line role.

If he's good enough to play in the NHL, play him there. If he's not, send him down. Why would you just start him in the AHL regardless of how he performs in pre-season?

It's not like Buffalo is a stacked team next year. there will be chances

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Terrible strategy, excellent if you want to ruin your prospects. Just play Nylander in the NHL if he performs well enough in camp. Countless of players have become good NHL players without "proving" themselves in the minors. What he did last season should mean nothing, it's all about how he performs the next few weeks.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Terrible strategy, excellent if you want to ruin your prospects. Just play Nylander in the NHL if he performs well enough in camp. Countless of players have become good NHL players without "proving" themselves in the minors. What he did last season should mean nothing, it's all about how he performs the next few weeks.
Didnt mittelstadt score ppg in nhl after lackluster ncaa

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Doesnt mean that the quality of play is bad for that age group. Theres more and more NCAA kids getting drafted and making the big leagues now.
It's up in the air. If he has a great camp, he'll probably start out with the Sabres. If he is OK to good, he could be in Rochester. I'm sure he'll be called up soon enough though.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
How does it look for his chances to start the season in NHL?

Too soon to say, really. It all depends on how he does through training camp and the preseason. I think he's going to be given opportunities to play with some of our skilled players, but it all hinges on what he does with those chances. We've got a lot of young guys who could realistically press for spots this year and not much roster space (at least without having to put guys on waivers), so he'll have to earn it.

Reactions: ZEBROA

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm hearing he is having a very good camp, and he had a good game last night. More involved, couple of points. Great to hear, this may be his year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Off to a good start with 2 nice assists against CBJ last night. Let's see if he can keep it going as the level of competition ramps up. (Both Columbus and Buffalo last night iced about 1-line's worth of NHL caliber players).

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This is the first year I will really judge Nylander. Before he was a boy playing against men, physically immature and injured.

This season he looks much bigger, stronger and healthy which is giving him more confidence.

Even if he starts in Rochester I think he will be a Sabre at some point in the season and he sticks at that point.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought Alex had a terrific game last night. Night and day from last season when he was hurt and less sure of himself. Much more confident and forceful on the ice last night. On one play he stripped Tavares off the puck, and created a scoring chance. On others he and Thompson showed nice chemistry all night. Liked how he drove the net and opened up a lane for Thompson to score a nice goal. They were the 2 best Sabres last night. Really a positive for Buffalo that Alex is finally showing signs he belongs. This was more the Alex Nylander I saw play in Mississauga his draft year. :thumbu:

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I was curious to see Mittelstadt and Nylander last night; Nylander actually impressed me, Mittelstadt was more or less invisible.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
I was curious to see Mittelstadt and Nylander last night; Nylander actually impressed me, Mittelstadt was more or less invisible.

Making that step is hard for a lot of young players. Nylander and Thompson looked very good but they are a little older now. Mittelstadt might need a year to adjust.

Sandin and Lilegren looked like a train wreck for Toronto but they are young. Give them a couple years and they will be players for the Leafs.

Pilut looked great for Buffalo but he is 22 and played four years in the SEL. Most players take a few years, even the touted ones.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
His play this preseason has been way better than anything he's shown previously at the pro level. He's put on a ton of muscle over the summer and looks confident and assertive out there.

Just preseason, but it's been great to see him take a step in his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad