HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
He didn't change his tune, Winnipeg told him he had to open up if he wanted a long-term deal and LA outbid the Habs. He said it himself after the trade. He was into the idea of playing for Montreal but 'LA wanted me more'. If Winnipeg had accepted our deal, he'd be a Hab and this board would be on fire if he had that season here.

Honestly, if he gets bought out, I don't think it's a good idea even on a short-term deal. The discourse will be insane.
He could have waited to be a FA and signed with the Habs. I guess they told him he would be a Jet for another year if he didn't open it up because they didn't want futures.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
What makes you think that LA wouldn't do everything to keep their most valuable asset and that Hughes would ruin a relationship with another GM?
If Blake puts his team in a situation where they expose Byfield to an OS (maybe by acquiring a 1G + extending Roy, Arvidsson, etc.) then its only his fault, not Hughes for wanting to acquire a great player.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What makes you think that LA wouldn't do everything to keep their most valuable asset and that Hughes would ruin a relationship with another GM?
OS as presently designed are conducive to toxic fallouts. It’s fun to watch unfold from a fan POV and the resulting animosity between owners/ suits can be riveting but otherwise not a viable option.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
If Blake puts his team in a situation where they expose Byfield to an OS (maybe by acquiring a 1G + extending Roy, Arvidsson, etc.) then its only his fault, not Hughes for wanting to acquire a great player.
And I would add that this relationship thing is bullshit. If Hughes OS Byfield and in 3 years, a trade that would really help both LA and MTL comes up, Blake (or any other GM) would be plain stupid not to make it.

MTL is in a unique situation to make a big OS since they have lots of assets, lots of capspace and might want to risk giving away their first next year since they might compete for a playoff spot. I believe most teams tend to avoid OS not because of their relationship with other GMs, but because they either dont have the cap space (which is the case for most contender) OR dont want to risk giving an unprotected first (the case for rebuilding teams who however have a lot of cap space generally speaking). MTL is one of the rare teams for which it might be worth it to make a big OS since they enter in neither of those groups of teams imo.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah that won't happen and they will simply match anything unless Hughes offers up the 4x1st requirements.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It's too bad the team wasn't a bit better, could offer sheet Necas to screw over Carolina. However, they'd like let him go and take our top 10 pick next year since I doubt next year will be the turnaround year.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i could see Montreal circling back on PLD after a discussion with MSL BUT you can be sure HuGo smells blood and would bend Blake over a barrel. There would be retention and salary going back from montreal...Dvorak, maybe anderson...etc

I also think the only way this would happen is if Hughes strikes out on other trade fronts - in other words, a last resort

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
i could see Montreal circling back on PLD after a discussion with MSL BUT you can be sure HuGo smells blood and would bend Blake over a barrel. There would be retention and salary going back from montreal...Dvorak, maybe anderson...etc

I also think the only way this would happen is if Hughes strikes out on other trade fronts - in other words, a last resort
Marty was a rookie head coach when we got him. He could be friendly behind the scenes before that, he isn’t looking for a problem when he’s acting as a head coach. And best believe, he’ll be aware of the behind the scenes. The head coaches Dubois has played for aren’t the only ones who saw character flaws in him.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Have fun listening to this snoozefest of a pulling teeth presser. I bailed halfway through.

It’s only my impression but he emits strong lack of conviction vibes, like someone who couldn’t be bothered to do more and who has all kinds of excuses.

As @BLONG7 would say ……… brutal!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
Have fun listening to this snoozefest of a pulling teeth presser. I bailed halfway through.

It’s only my impression but he emits strong lack of conviction vibes, like someone who couldn’t be bothered to do more and who has all kinds of excuses.

As @BLONG7 would say ……… brutal!

Yeah, I said something along those lines in a post earlier... He seems like the type of player who you'd spend a ton of time going over what he needs to improve/what you saw in his game, only for him to leave and not do or plan to do anything about what you said. I get a "that's how I am and how I do things" vibe from the guy.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Please make it stop.....

I don't want PLD being one of the oldest guy in the room, I don't want him anywhere near our young kids. He's far from being an example to follow on and off the ice.

Names like Necas, Holtz, Zegras, Johnson have been thrown around in the rumors and I would take any of them ahead of PLD without hesitation.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Please get rid of Atta Boy Gally and Stupid Power Donkey. I'll take PLD any day. One player can't ruin a whole locker room. I'll take that gamble.

It's risky but we got the right environment to buy low on him. On his worst day he's better than both of them combined. If it doesn't work out buy him out in 3 years.

Last edited:

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Please get rid of Atta Boy Gally and Stupid Power Donkey. I'll take PLD any day. One player can't ruin a whole locker room. I'll take that gamble.

It's risky but we got the right environment to buy low on him. On his worst day he's better than both of them combined. If it doesn't work out buy him out in 3 years.
Lol dude had 9 more points in 5 more games than Gallagher and the same amount of goals. Him being french doesn't make him 'better than both combined' even on a decent day for him.

The Gallagher hate is silly, even more so when it's paired with PLD love.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Lol dude had 9 more points in 5 more games than Gallagher and the same amount of goals. Him being french doesn't make him 'better than both combined' even on a decent day for him.

The Gallagher hate is silly, even more so when it's paired with PLD love.
I don’t love PLD, I actually don’t care about him but I dislike Dumb Power Donkey and “heart and soul” Gally.

Not all games are created equally. I haven’t watched PLD play in LA but I’m confident that if he was given the same opportunities than Donkey Gallagher he would have had a decent season.

It’s a risk but I’ll take it. Give him the same opportunities than these two garbage and I think he will do well.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Please make it stop.....

I don't want PLD being one of the oldest guy in the room, I don't want him anywhere near our young kids. He's far from being an example to follow on and off the ice.

Names like Necas, Holtz, Zegras, Johnson have been thrown around in the rumors and I would take any of them ahead of PLD without hesitation.
Agreed in principle. Only caveat, how do we know all of those other names don’t themselves come with issues that may be objectionable?

I’ll trust the org to do proper due diligence. The PLD saga shows us how it’s even worth overpaying for an asset who has all of those traits you want from someone when committing long term. Someone or several individuals within the Kings’ org did not properly investigate PLD despite the abundance of data/ red flags about him.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad