RW Alexander Nylander (2016, 8th, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton

Yup his development has stalled completely and he looks like he'll never get a sniff at the big leagues with his awful point production while bringing nothing else to the table. Picking Nylander over Sergachev is probably one of Tim Murray's worst moves as GM.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yup his development has stalled completely and he looks like he'll never get a sniff at the big leagues with his awful point production while bringing nothing else to the table. Picking Nylander over Sergachev is probably one of Tim Murray's worst moves as GM.
If it was justified, than how you can you blame somebody.

Hickey out of nowhere over Voracek & Alzner who were ranked around spot 4, that's bad.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
He has had some bad luck, and really has had only one off year of development. It is early for Alex. I have no doubt he will turn it around. I would not be surprised if he plays his way on the NHL team this year and look like a top 6 winger. Too much talent this kid has. I have always been a believer in him and still am.
Another amazing prediction.

DieTomi

Auston "50 Goals" Matthews
Aug 4, 2017
Hamilton
If it was justified, than how you can you blame somebody.

Hickey out of nowhere over Voracek & Alzner who were ranked around spot 4, that's bad.
Justified sure. But BUF knew they needed some quality D prospects and they had the opportunity and blew it. Hindsight 20/20 of course but that was a poor decision by Murray and co.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He’s soft as butter, if he can ramp up the intensity there’s no question he’s a top 6 guy, if he doesn’t he’s a future leading scorer overseas.

Reactions: Fixxer

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I do think he'll play NHL games, but it could be like virtanen where he's a nhl player but not the production you thought he'd be when he was drafted
The concern there is that Virtanen always had the grit to his game so he was able to make that transition somewhat from being expected to produce to more of a grinding role....Nylander would have to completely change everything about his game to fit into a bottom 6 role....I am just not sure if that is the kind of change he will be able to make. Plus if he was able to make that kind of change he probably ends up living up to the hype because him being soft and not playing defense is a pretty big problem right now not his skill.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don't think you understand how bad he's been.

Saw all of his games at the WJC and I've seen how good he can be at his best. That untimely injury has clearly affected his play. I don't doubt he's looking bad in the AHL right now but let's wait and see how he looks after the summer before we call him a bust.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
He's looked pretty good at his WJC appearances.

I can't say I've watched him at the AHL level enough to say that he is struggling. His stats would argue that he is but I haven't watched enough to say so myself.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
He shouldn’t have been rushed to the AHL and spent the year in the OHL last year
No, he should have played in Sweden, but Tim Murray is ruining everything he touched. I remember his arrogants smug face declaring Nylander must play in USA sp they can control his development, see how good that went.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
No, he should have played in Sweden, but Tim Murray is ruining everything he touched. I remember his arrogants smug face declaring Nylander must play in USA sp they can control his development, see how good that went.
Buffalo had already been bullied by Grigorenko and Zadorov's agents. Nylander's agent telling Buffalo that he needed to get called up after the WJC was a huge slap in the face. Smaller market teams like Buffalo need to eventually stand up to stuff like that.

Honestly depending on how much help Buffalo gets this Summer I'm leaning towards sticking him on a line with Eichel next year and padding his stats. If Buffalo can find a way to turn him into a defensive asset they should. Nylander may only be 20 but he's going to be a soft, inconsistent Hockey player his entire career. The difference between Nylander and Mittelstadt is staggering given where they were drafted. Mittelstadt plays every game trying to score as much as he can. Nylander plays every game hoping to not get injured. He makes Thomas Vanek look like an intense person.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
Saw all of his games at the WJC and I've seen how good he can be at his best. That untimely injury has clearly affected his play. I don't doubt he's looking bad in the AHL right now but let's wait and see how he looks after the summer before we call him a bust.
He barely had a good game at wjc

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I agree with the people already labeling him a just. It' not his production alone but his complete game has been mediocre if it wasn't for his draft status he'd have a hard time playing top 6 in the ECHL.

Everything about him has been screaming bust. Soft, makes selfish plays, uninterested and just looks lost in a fast pace.

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Yes he is. There are some premature posters that are going to look foolish here if they think Alexander Nylander is not going to be a NHL player. The kid has too much talent to not be one. Development is not linear for all players.
Welcome to HF.

Capital of Bustville, the 'What have you done for me latelies'? and the best Potential >>> real NHLer.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Buffalo had already been bullied by Grigorenko and Zadorov's agents. Nylander's agent telling Buffalo that he needed to get called up after the WJC was a huge slap in the face. Smaller market teams like Buffalo need to eventually stand up to stuff like that.

Honestly depending on how much help Buffalo gets this Summer I'm leaning towards sticking him on a line with Eichel next year and padding his stats. If Buffalo can find a way to turn him into a defensive asset they should. Nylander may only be 20 but he's going to be a soft, inconsistent Hockey player his entire career. The difference between Nylander and Mittelstadt is staggering given where they were drafted. Mittelstadt plays every game trying to score as much as he can. Nylander plays every game hoping to not get injured. He makes Thomas Vanek look like an intense person.
His dad is way too heavily involved in certain aspects of the decision making. Best decision would have been for him to go back to Mississauga for his D+1 season, but that was ruled out as an option because the Steelheads didn't want to deal with Michael as an assistant again. He basically ran a private practice for Alex on the other side of the ice at points, it was a weird situation of a CHL team catering heavily to a dad to get a talented kid.

The Leafs were lucky enough that William was AHL ready at an age where they could distance their dad's involvement. Buffalo was basically put in a no-win situation where either Michael was going to take him back to Sweden, to a situation where he could control coaching or they had to put him in the AHL. In retrospect, that might have been a red-flag not to deal with the kid, but given the success with William at the time, it could have been viewed as a decent risk.

At the moment, the kid just looks shell-shocked against men. He has limited confidence and is completely afraid of contact. How to fix this I have no idea.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
His dad is way too heavily involved in certain aspects of the decision making. Best decision would have been for him to go back to Mississauga for his D+1 season, but that was ruled out as an option because the Steelheads didn't want to deal with Michael as an assistant again. He basically ran a private practice for Alex on the other side of the ice at points, it was a weird situation of a CHL team catering heavily to a dad to get a talented kid.

The Leafs were lucky enough that William was AHL ready at an age where they could distance their dad's involvement. Buffalo was basically put in a no-win situation where either Michael was going to take him back to Sweden, to a situation where he could control coaching or they had to put him in the AHL. In retrospect, that might have been a red-flag not to deal with the kid, but given the success with William at the time, it could have been viewed as a decent risk.

At the moment, the kid just looks shell-shocked against men. He has limited confidence and is completely afraid of contact. How to fix this I have no idea.
By all accounts, Michael Nylander seems like a real piece of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad