Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I thought Rundblad was signed for one more year to a cheap deal so my bad. I don't see why they wouldn't qualify him though as they really don't have any replacement.
Trevor van Reimsdyk and Ville Pokka? They signed Michael Paliotta late in the season, they are frontrunners for Mike Reilly, Stephen Johns isn't far off, Erik Gustaffsson is headed over from Sweden this year as well.

So I think they will be fine.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
A few suggestions for smaller moves:

to Calgary:
- Jonathon Blum
to Minnesota:
- Ben Hanowski

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

to Calgary:
- David Rundblad
to Chicago:
- Max Reinhart

Don't mind these deals value wise. However, I don't see a need for them. I think we already have enough 5,6,7 dmen. Including FA's (who I'd rather we just sign to fill the bottom pair and extra dmen rather than giving up assets for other 5,6,7 dmen) we have Diaz, Schlemko, Engelland, Wotherspoon, and possibly Morrison and Smid (depending on health).

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't mind these deals value wise. However, I don't see a need for them. I think we already have enough 5,6,7 dmen. Including FA's (who I'd rather we just sign to fill the bottom pair and extra dmen rather than giving up assets for other 5,6,7 dmen) we have Diaz, Schlemko, Engelland, Wotherspoon, and possibly Morrison and Smid (depending on health).
Big difference between Blum/Rundblad and Diaz/Schlemko/Engelland/Smid is they are young and still developing. Blum is only 26 and Rundblad 24, both were also first round picks. They are also RH puck moving defensemen, something we only have in Morrison.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
Big difference between Blum/Rundblad and Diaz/Schlemko/Engelland/Smid is they are young and still developing. Blum is only 26 and Rundblad 24, both were also first round picks. They are also RH puck moving defensemen, something we only have in Morrison.

That's definitely true. I certainly wouldn't mind either of them. I would think a couple other moves would be made if we were to bring in either, or both, in order to clear the logjam of bottom pairing guys.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's definitely true. I certainly wouldn't mind either of them. I would think a couple other moves would be made if we were to bring in either, or both, in order to clear the logjam of bottom pairing guys.
We wouldn't need to make any moves though.

Diaz, Potter & Schlemko are UFAs. No moves need to be made.

Morrison has only a handful of professional games. Wotherspoon is still on his ELC and may not yet be ready. Both are still waiver exempt.

Even if Smid is healthy one of Blum or Rundblad could slot in without a move being made.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
We wouldn't need to make any moves though.

Diaz, Potter & Schlemko are UFAs. No moves need to be made.

Morrison has only a handful of professional games. Wotherspoon is still on his ELC and may not yet be ready. Both are still waiver exempt.

Even if Smid is healthy one of Blum or Rundblad could slot in without a move being made.

My bad, definitely a brain-fart on my part. I knew they were UFA's too.

Back to Blum though, I think he is a good defenceman and is certainly capable of playing in the NHL, but has been stuck behind a couple deep blue lines in both Nashville and Minnesota.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd take a flyer on Runblad. He's almost at bust status however our coaches have been exceptional with our dman. If they could get Runblad playing some good hockey, that move could be a steal. His game in theory would fit our system well.

I haven't followed Blum much over the last 2 seasons, where's his game at?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Hey guys, I know Gio is your captain and will most likely be given a blank check by CGY management, but what do you think of this proposal (in a vacuum)?

Okposo + de Haan for Gio.

Both Okposo and Gio are impending UFAs and de Haan is a cost controlled RFA.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Hey guys, I know Gio is your captain and will most likely be given a blank check by CGY management, but what do you think of this proposal (in a vacuum)?

In two years would you do:

Tavares for Backlund + Granlund
Quantity does not equal quality in this case, if we move our Captain, #1 Defenseman it's going to be for a King's Ransom, not an impending UFA, and a medium upside player.

I'm fairly certain if Calgary put Gio in play this draft, they could easily get pick 3-7 straight up.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
In some people's minds, Rundblad is better than Iginla. For the reason mentioned above.

Calgary should be exploring any way to make this team better. If it's by getting Runblad or Blum for some scraps, it should be done. Guys like Hanowski, Agostino, Reinhart, etc. are so backed up on our depth charts now, that I don't think there's much of a chance they become impact players in our lineup... ever.

May as well trade from our strong point (depth forwards) to our weak (dmen).

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

That's really bad.

Giordano is our captain, you'd have to pony up a bit more. We don't have any reason to move him either.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Not even close for me personally.

I would want Okposo + Hamonic.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I'm fairly certain if Calgary put Gio in play this draft, they could easily get pick 3-7 straight up.

Don't be so sure, a 1-year rental of Gio would not bring in the #3 pick, as there would be zero motivation for Arizona to do that.

And it has notohng to do with Gio's talent level. it's just that teams with pick 3-7 are rebuilding, and Gio offers little to them beyond ensuring that they suck just a bit less next year.

Now, if Gio would agree to an extension as part of the trade, it would be different, but still, for the most part, teams that are rebuilding don't look at Gio the same as a contnder or near contender would.

If you think that Calagry is still in its rebuilding stage, Gio's best value to Calgary may still be in a trade, if the alternative is to sign him to an 8-year, $64M contract.

I could imagine that it might be near impossible for calgary to trade their captain, but he is quite a bit ahead of most of Calagry's other players in terms of tenure. In fact, the same argument applies to Hudler.

I expect that Gio will sign for 6-years, maybe $42M. Or 5-years, $37.5-$40M. If they can get him for 5 years and less than $8M, you have to be happy. But at what amount do you start thinking trade?

bWo*

In two years would you do:

Tavares for Backlund + Granlund
Quantity does not equal quality in this case, if we move our Captain, #1 Defenseman it's going to be for a King's Ransom, not an impending UFA, and a medium upside player.

MDC + Reinhart + 1st

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Pulock and Dal Colle is what I would ask for. Still not sure I would even pull the trigger. I honestly believe we can be a contender next year, if we trade Gio that isn't happening.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Pulock and Dal Colle is what I would ask for. Still not sure I would even pull the trigger. I honestly believe we can be a contender next year, if we trade Gio that isn't happening.

If Money, JG & Bennett's development continue to trend positive and Gio & Brodie go back to their Norris caliber play, yeah, we'll be looking great! A couple pieces here or there and some luck (maybe Diaz has a monster year, Ferland plays a full regular season like he did in ploffs) and we're in great shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad