Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Yes stay away from ROR @7.5 million who is a legit top 6 forward who hasn't reached his prime, yet pay a 3rd line forward 4+ million. If we sign Frolik to that its just plane ****ty.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He hits, he skates, he goes to the dirty areas, he scores. What's not to like? Jones at his best is as good or better, but I don't think Frolik is a downgrade at all, especially when you factor in consistency. I had Frolik on Team Intangibles last season, so I was watching him quite a bit.

That said, if someone offers him over $5M, I'd let them have him.
So we add another $4+ million RW that is only marginally better than Jones and won't be as good as Colborne? That's a waste of cap space unless Jones is being moved.

And if someone is dumb enough to sign Frolik to that, they should also be dumb enough to trade for Jones @ 4 million.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Yes stay away from ROR @7.5 million who is a legit top 6 forward who hasn't reached his prime, yet pay a 3rd line forward 4+ million. If we sign Frolik to that its just plane ****ty.

Wasn't Hudler a third line winger in Detroit? What if we get the same results with Frolik when given a better opportunity to succeed? Additionally, you're paying assets for a player that only cares about money. Paying assets and then having to offer a long, long contract with more $ isn't a good idea when we still have Monahan, Gaudreau and Giordano to re-sign.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Wasn't Hudler a third line winger in Detroit? What if we get the same results with Frolik when given a better opportunity to succeed? Additionally, you're paying assets for a player that only cares about money. Paying assets and then having to offer a long, long contract with more $ isn't a good idea when we still have Monahan, Gaudreau and Giordano to re-sign.

Frolik getting 4+ million means he doesn't care about money?? If he didn't he would have returned to Winnipeg. Thinking he becomes the next Hudler his extremely optimistic.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Frolik getting 4+ million means he doesn't care about money?? If he didn't he would have returned to Winnipeg. Thinking he becomes the next Hudler his extremely optimistic.

I said what if, of course it was optimism. I'm just stating that surely you'd see a lot more positive results from Frolik if given 2nd line ice time. And I'd much rather pay a player 4.5m x 4 years than a player 7.5m x 8 years when we have plenty of others to re-sign.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
I said what if, of course it was optimism. I'm just stating that surely you'd see a lot more positive results from Frolik if given 2nd line ice time. And I'd much rather pay a player 4.5m x 4 years than a player 7.5m x 8 years when we have plenty of others to re-sign.

I disagree I would rather pay ROR more money to have a legit top 6 forward then a overpay a 3rd liner and expect him to perform like a top 6 player.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Not to mention ROR has value if we ever needed the space we could easily move him at 7.5. And he's already shown in the past he would like to play for the Flames

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Looks like Treliving still has a lot to learn about being a GM. You'd think Burke would have helped him here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hudler was a 3rd liner behind stars. Frolik was a 3rd liner behind Stempniak, I get you are trying to put a positive spin on him but let's be realistic.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Hudler was a 3rd liner behind stars. Frolik was a 3rd liner behind Stempniak, I get you are trying to put a positive spin on him but let's be realistic.

After we acquired Stempniak, Frolik played exclusively on the first line with Ladd and Little, while Wheeler played behind him on the second line.
Stempniak didn't play a single minute in our top6.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Yeah, as the Jets fan above confirms, that's not true. Frolik was a top 6 forward last season after he got hot mid-way through the season on the third line.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Yeah, as the Jets fan above confirms, that's not true. Frolik was a top 6 forward last season after he got hot mid-way through the season on the third line.
I shouldn't have assumed FFF was right :laugh:

Either way, I don't think he is an upgrade on Jones and Colborne is going to be quite a bit better. Not to mention it pushes Poirier down to about 7th on the RW depth chart. It makes no sense to pick up Frolik unless Jones is being moved in another deal.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Wouldn't mind seeing Treliving kick a few tires at Beleskey. Some, really big, heavy tires; that should scare him off. Burke would probably get more range though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Avs must have talked to Soderberg and want to get a signing done before July 1st. Good trade for the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad