Speculation: Rumours, Speculation, and all Armchair-GM-ing needs! v.11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Kessel honestly gets way too much hate. It's weird; you don't see anyone really criticizing captain Phaneuf for the way the Leafs played down the stretch but somehow, it's all pinned on Kessel. And I don't buy the notion he'd wouldn't work with Hartley; he's worked with demanding coaches before and thrived. And Hartley knows how to work with top talent.

That being said, the Flames simply can't afford to meet the Leafs asking price. Forget about the big four on the roster, none of Ortio, Gilles, Poirier, Klimchuk, Hickey, etc. should be available. Nor are the Leafs about to retain salary for the next seven or eight seasons unless they get a phenomenal return. So unless, they're willing to accept something like Hudler*, Agostino and a 2nd, there's no match here.

*Leafs would be able to trade Hudler for a first next trade deadline; thereby giving them veteran mentorship for half a season plus further assets.

Edit: It's all a moot point though. Treliving has said he's not interested in Kessel, who also doesn't appear to list Calgary as one of the teams he's willing to go to.
Edit 2: Wouldn't work cap wise either.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he'll have to settle for less, but who knows? We could theoretically do that on a short term.
I don't think a poor post-season hurts potential UFAs too much, as most accept that it is a short time to fit in with a new club. Just think of the adjustment in systems between the Coyotes and Hawks, not to mention going fro being the #1 centre to the #3 centre.

I'd give Vermette big money for 2 years.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
I really think we might go after him, I would rather we didn't but he checks all the boxes that Treliving and Burke have talked about.

Except for the box where we watch our spending to ensure we can keep all of our young core in tact when the time comes.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I really think we might go after him, I would rather we didn't but he checks all the boxes that Treliving and Burke have talked about.

I didn't realize one of the boxes they wanted to check off was "massive cap-strapping overpayment for middling' player".

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The geniuses at sportsnet (Mark Spector) at work:
Brandon Sutter

How about RW Jiri Hudler in Calgary? We’d bet Flames GM Brad Treliving would put Sutter behind Sean Monahan up the middle, with Michael Backlund at No. 3. Both are UFA’s after next season, though Sutter is five years younger. Throw in a 2nd round draft pick going Pittsburgh’s way and that’s a deal that Calgary may favour.
Jiri Hudler

OK, we’ll say it. Hudler was great all season long, but was invisible for the entire playoff run. He had a four-point night in the clincher versus Vancouver, yes, but had points in just three of 11 games.

He’s a year away from unrestricted free agency, and in his quest to get bigger up front we think Treliving would move Hudler for something younger and bigger in a heartbeat.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Except for the box where we watch our spending to ensure we can keep all of our young core in tact when the time comes.

I think people are taking this "we gotta save money to sign the core" a bit overboard. Right now we have 20.97 Million in cap space. The absolute guys we 100% have to worry about are Gaudreau, Monahan and Gio, Hudler potentially.

In two seasons we have Wideman, Raymond and Engelland coming off the books, same with Smid. That is almost 15 Million dollars of the books. 14.816 to be more exact. Hiller is also an UFA after this season at 4.5, and Jones at 4 Million. I doubt any of those guys get close to any of the amounts they are making now, except for Hiller.

If we can acquire someone that will barely affect the rebuild or cap we should make it.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think people are taking this "we gotta save money to sign the core" a bit overboard. Right now we have 20.97 Million in cap space. The absolute guys we 100% have to worry about are Gaudreau, Monahan and Gio, Hudler potentially.

In two seasons we have Wideman, Raymond and Engelland coming off the books, same with Smid. That is almost 15 Million dollars of the books. 14.816 to be more exact. Hiller is also an UFA after this season at 4.5, and Jones at 4 Million. I doubt any of those guys get close to any of the amounts they are making now, except for Hiller.

If we can acquire someone that will barely affect the rebuild or cap we should make it.

Great post. I've been wondering whether there is undue concern over space for our young guns, but haven't taken the time to look into it.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009

I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be either, but forking out north of $4 million per to Belesky certainly isn't going to help, and I can't see Treliving doing that.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be either, but forking out north of $4 million per to Belesky certainly isn't going to help, and I can't see Treliving doing that.

That wasn't what i was advocating for. it was mostly just in general. I don't care about Beleksy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
A few suggestions for smaller moves:

to Calgary:
- Jonathon Blum
to Minnesota:
- Ben Hanowski

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

to Calgary:
- David Rundblad
to Chicago:
- Max Reinhart

to Calgary:
- Patrik Berglund
to St. Louis:
- David Wolf
- 83rd overall

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
A few suggestions for smaller moves:

to Calgary:
- Jonathon Blum
to Minnesota:
- Ben Hanowski

to Calgary:
- David Rundblad
to Chicago:
- Max Reinhart

I would do these, not sure Chicago does the Rundblad one though. I could see the Blum one actually happening.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would do these, not sure Chicago does the Rundblad one though. I could see the Blum one actually happening.
Hawks fans seem willing to give him away. Although there is a chance neither of these 2 receive a qualifying offer.

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Hawks fans seem willing to give him away. Although there is a chance neither of these 2 receive a qualifying offer.

I thought Rundblad was signed for one more year to a cheap deal so my bad. I don't see why they wouldn't qualify him though as they really don't have any replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad