Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Third on the team in shots, leads the entire team in shot attempts. I don't think the shot is the issue, with the season he's having he should see some PP time this year even if it's just PP2 time instead of Russell.

I agree, it’s not like it’s going to make the PP worse and cost us the season...let’s see what the kid can do.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I agree, it’s not like it’s going to make the PP worse and cost us the season...let’s see what the kid can do.

OTOH, since the season is lost anyway, there's something to be said for keeping his counting numbers down in a contract year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
And is tied for 14th on the team for goals with only 2, which is exactly what im trying to say.

He can get shots through but they arent effective shots. The shooting% argument isnt that much of a factor imo. Like RNH last season who had a low shooting% but his shots were all weak perimiter shots, it made sense.
Just needs to practice them, itll come.

I agree he should get some PP time this season. But with Sekera coming back I just dont see it happening.

I think a successful shot from the point doesn't directly result in goals for the defensemen but the ability to provide rebounds for the forwards in front of the net. I'm not worried at all about Nurse's goal total or S%. Our big forwards need to be better at getting in front of the net and converting the greasy goals.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Have we done anything yet? No.

Almost as surprising as being disappointed when you actually hear something has been done. It's crazy that you can justify feeling both of these feelings at the same time.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I think a successful shot from the point doesn't directly result in goals for the defensemen but the ability to provide rebounds for the forwards in front of the net. I'm not worried at all about Nurse's goal total or S%. Our big forwards need to be better at getting in front of the net and converting the greasy goals.

That's definitely a big part of the point shot I agree.
However scoring from the point is imo just as important.
Nurse currently isn't really a threat to score from the point, having both the ability to score or create a scoring chance is key imo.

McJeetz

Feb 2, 2007
How quickly people forget two years of very good play when a player hits a tough stretch.

Drai is built for the West. Just watch last year's playoffs again.

Any trade you make, you will lose.

While this is true, we should have done a 2 year bridge deal. If he posted 80+ point seasons for 2 more years he still would have been a 8.5 million player. As it stands now, Draisaitl is a 22 year old young man trying to live up to a monster contract where he has nowhere but down to go based on last year's performance.

Poor asset management

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Just watching the end off the Pens-Avs game. Colorado just scored an empty-netter to go up 2-0.

Sounds like the Pens could really use a Mark Letestu for that situation.
If we could turn Testube into a 2nd and Slepy into Girgensons tomorrow, I'd be more than happy to see the team run with the kids to the bitter end this season. Having Letestu isn't doing anything for the roster besides maybe winning a few draws here and there.

Lucic - McDavid - JP
Maroon - RNH - Cammy
Khaira - Draisaitl - Strome
Caggiula - Girgs - Kassian
Walker

It's a lineup with a lot of moveable components...

Maroon - McDavid - JP
Lucic - RNH - Girgs
Cammy - Drai - Strome
Caggiula - Khaira - Kassian
Walker

Reactions: McFuhryous

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's not true, I saw the Nurse/Pronger comp a few times myself, here and on social media. Nurse is definitely one of the most hyped prospects the Oilers have had in a long while outside of McDavid himself.

Shocked that a high first round pick would be hyped? His physical tools are impressive. Impresive enough for him to be, at times, a force on the ice.

Comparing players, like you said you saw is one thing. Saying that Nurse is the next Pronger is another. No one said he is the next Pronger after we drafted him. They may have said he has Physical tools like Pronger, but please show me where it was said he'll be the next Pronger.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Just watching the end off the Pens-Avs game. Colorado just scored an empty-netter to go up 2-0.

Sounds like the Pens could really use a Mark Letestu for that situation.

May as well have him kick Kessell off of the PP :)

All joking aside, Mark is a good dude as seen in the Feel Good Thread that I posted.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
I think so. He wants to play hardball so they are seeing what he can do without Mcdavid. This is what they should have done with Draisaitl before they signed him long term.
That might be the kind of thing discussed on NHL fan boards, but I highly doubt that's the thought process of NHL coaches/management. They're looking for wins, plain and simple.

Reactions: Night Witch

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That might be the kind of thing discussed on NHL fan boards, but I highly doubt that's the thought process of NHL coaches/management. They're looking for wins, plain and simple.

Absolutely. No game playing going on whatsoever.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
So Ottawa wants to make a trade before the roster freeze.

Hoffman. Hoffman. Please. He would seriously elevate our offense alone. I am willing to pay big for him. Top 10 protected first round pick and let them pick through prospects not named Yamamoto.
Then see what we need to do about salary. But adding Hoffman would be exceptional for both the Oilers and my hockey pool. Where I have him and... Craig Anderson.

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Maroon will be gone at teh end of the season. He is asking for too much in contract talks.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
While this is true, we should have done a 2 year bridge deal. If he posted 80+ point seasons for 2 more years he still would have been a 8.5 million player. As it stands now, Draisaitl is a 22 year old young man trying to live up to a monster contract where he has nowhere but down to go based on last year's performance.

Poor asset management

On what basis? What's your comp?

Best comps for a big, two-way C, with multiple 80 point seasons would be:

Kopitar
Actual cap hit is $10.0 signed in 2016/17. At the time it was 13.70% of the cap. That equates to 10.27M in todays dollars.

Getzlaf:
Actual cap hit is 8.25 but it was signed in 2013/14. At the time it was 13.75% of the cap. That equates to 10.3 in today's dollars.

Do you see how eerily similar these two numbers are? That's how these things are negotiated.

We have Draisaitl at 8.5M against a 75M cap. It represents 11.33% of the cap today and certainly less in the future.

Draisaitl may not be those guys, but he doesn't need to be to be worth the contract.

But if he does score 80 x 2 more seasons, then the numbers would work out like this:
2017/18 = 11.33% of the cap
2018/19 = 8.5 / (75 x 1.03) = 11.0%
2019/20 = 8.5 / 77.3 x 1.03) = 10.68%

That would represent a 13.75 - 10.68 = 3.07% cap savings... which is about 2.3M, which is significant. Add 2.3M to Draisaitl's cap and he's 10.8M

You can come at it any way you want, but Draisaitl with two more years at a ppg pace is an $10 - 11M player.

If he slumps with this contract and is a 60 point guy 4 years from now... then, as is, he'll be taking up 10.06% of our cap. Centers in that range of cap hit include Sedin, Spezza, Koivu, O'Reilly, etc... not bad company and perfectly reasonable comps for a then 26 year old, 60pts/season Draisaitl.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hoffman would be a massive addition. Don't think it's realistic but if Ottawa was looking to blow it up a bit, there's a perfect LW for McDavid and a big boost for the PP.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
On what basis? What's your comp?

Best comps for a big, two-way C, with multiple 80 point seasons would be:

Kopitar
Actual cap hit is $10.0 signed in 2016/17. At the time it was 13.70% of the cap. That equates to 10.27M in todays dollars.

Getzlaf:
Actual cap hit is 8.25 but it was signed in 2013/14. At the time it was 13.75% of the cap. That equates to 10.3 in today's dollars.

Do you see how eerily similar these two numbers are? That's how these things are negotiated.

We have Draisaitl at 8.5M against a 75M cap. It represents 11.33% of the cap today and certainly less in the future.

Draisaitl may not be those guys, but he doesn't need to be to be worth the contract.

But if he does score 80 x 2 more seasons, then the numbers would work out like this:
2017/18 = 11.33% of the cap
2018/19 = 8.5 / (75 x 1.03) = 11.0%
2019/20 = 8.5 / 77.3 x 1.03) = 10.68%

That would represent a 13.75 - 10.68 = 3.07% cap savings... which is about 2.3M, which is significant. Add 2.3M to Draisaitl's cap and he's 10.8M

You can come at it any way you want, but Draisaitl with two more years at a ppg pace is an $10 - 11M player.

If he slumps with this contract and is a 60 point guy 4 years from now... then, as is, he'll be taking up 10.06% of our cap. Centers in that range of cap hit include Sedin, Spezza, Koivu, O'Reilly, etc... not bad company and perfectly reasonable comps for a then 26 year old, 60pts/season Draisaitl.
The contract will only look good if he lives up to last years numbers. If not it'll be a risky contract that does not look good. I love Draisaitl. My favorite player on the team. He is overpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad