Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The Oilers drafting issue stems from them picking the same player in basically every draft with a high pick. We had how many LH defensive dmen in the system and they take Nurse? We could have had a great defensive center in Horvat or a RH offensive two way dman in Ristolainen, but no have to get the Kevin Lowe clone.
Incoherent rambling. Where's this 'great defensive center' going to slide in? The fourth line? Center is literally the last position people should be bitching about. And Risto's about as two-way a d-man as Justin Schultz was. Not to mention his seven assists are a hardly helping us this year.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The Oilers drafting issue stems from them picking the same player in basically every draft with a high pick. We had how many LH defensive dmen in the system and they take Nurse? We could have had a great defensive center in Horvat or a RH offensive two way dman in Ristolainen, but no have to get the Kevin Lowe clone.

What glut of LH defensive dmen in the system did we have back when Nurse was drafted in 2013? I can only think of Klefbom (drafted in 2011), and 2013 was the year he messed up his should I think, only played 11 games and was far from any sort of sure thing.

Horvat I'll grant you would have been a good choice, but you really need to rethink your obsession with Ristolainen if you think he's a two way dman. 5 years and nearly 300 games in the NHL and he still bleeds goals against. He's great manning the PP point, but he's far from a complete dman.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Risto is absolutely not a two way dman,

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I agree it's a lousy comp. not sure why the other poster even chose to use it as there was NO ONE saying Nurse will be the next Pronger. He made up a false narrative to try to make himself look smarter.

That's not true, I saw the Nurse/Pronger comp a few times myself, here and on social media. Nurse is definitely one of the most hyped prospects the Oilers have had in a long while outside of McDavid himself.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's not true, I saw the Nurse/Pronger comp a few times myself, here and on social media. Nurse is definitely one of the most hyped prospects the Oilers have had in a long while outside of McDavid himself.
You'll have to point me in the direction of those comparisons. Darnell's been slagged on from the get go on HF. I've seen Kevin Bieksa comparisons. I made a Joni Pitkanen one early on. Pronger was a special case--not many play like him.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You'll have to point me in the direction of those comparisons. Darnell's been slagged on from the get go on HF. I've seen Kevin Bieksa comparisons. I made a Joni Pitkanen one early on. Pronger was a special case--not many play like him.

You could start here.

TBH a lot of the comps here referencing Pronger were in regards to how development curves because people seem to think Pronger was a slow starter (he wasn't, really).

I see Nurse's upside as Good Travis Hamonic.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You could start here.

TBH a lot of the comps here referencing Pronger were in regards to how development curves because people seem to think Pronger was a slow starter (he wasn't, really).

I see Nurse's upside as Good Travis Hamonic.
Thank Christ I never got on Twitter. For the media, its fine. For the peons, it's essentially millions of people yelling at the sun.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The WLWL trend has me feeling pretty antsy for some kind of move from Chia to address at least one of the weaknesses--be it the goaltending or the PK. It's nice to see Brossoit gaining a little confidence, but I gotta say I'm still not 100% enthoused with the idea of sticking with Brossoit beyond 2018. And I honestly believe that with just three games of waiver exempt status remaining, the Oilers are purposefully holding out Anton Slepyshev and using him as trade bait. I just don't know what kind of return they're seeking. To be honest, if it's someone like Michael Hutchinson, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Maybe not relative to most 1st round pick dman prospects, but Pronger had much higher expectations to live up to given THN was comparing to a young Larry Robinson during his draft year when he went 2nd overall, and the fact it took him a good 4 to 5 years to look the part had plenty of media on his ass about it back then. It didn't help that Keenan rode him pretty hard when they first traded for him from Hartford, supposedly once yelling at him "We traded Brendan Shanahan for you!" during one practice when Pronger was not impressing during practice.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Incoherent rambling. Where's this 'great defensive center' going to slide in? The fourth line? Center is literally the last position people should be *****ing about. And Risto's about as two-way a d-man as Justin Schultz was. Not to mention his seven assists are a hardly helping us this year.

Hindsights 20-20, at the time we didnt have Draisaitl or Mcdavid.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So you're complaining about the draft decisions that the previous management made based on the roster at that point in time despite the fact the current roster has no place for the player you coveted and the player you are currently criticising them for taking is now becoming an impact player?

Uhhhh yeah, hindsight is warranted.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

True, but they did have Gagner (38 points in 48 games in 12/13) and a 19 yr old RNH, and there were definite questions about Horvat's offensive upside going into the draft since he only had 61 points in 67 games, his draft stock rose with a hot playoff run...so it's logical to think you might only be getting a decent 3rd line center in Horvat, given the young centers on the Oilers at the time that were already established.

I can't really fault the Oilers for not wanting to use a 7th overall pick on someone who might only slot in on their bottom 6, given how much you're slagging them for picking Nurse (a #3 dman at best in your estimation) at the same spot.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
You say hindsight and yet omit the fact the Oilers didn't have any depth on the D and definitely not LH d depth. We basically had Klefbom and that was it and Nurse has been the best D man on the team other than Larsson this year and has grown the most since last year. Guy is basically the only D man right now Mclellan can throw out and know they are most likely going to have a good shift.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Once Nurse is on the PP he will become a 40 point defenceman. He’s been improving every year and hasn’t all the tools to be a very good 2way defenceman.

Has to practice his shot to get on the PP imo which I dont think happens this season.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Has to practice his shot to get on the PP imo which I dont think happens this season.

Third on the team in shots, leads the entire team in shot attempts. I don't think the shot is the issue, with the season he's having he should see some PP time this year even if it's just PP2 time instead of Russell.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Third on the team in shots, leads the entire team in shot attempts. I don't think the shot is the issue, with the season he's having he should see some PP time this year even if it's just PP2 time instead of Russell.

And is tied for 14th on the team for goals with only 2, which is exactly what im trying to say.

He can get shots through but they arent effective shots. The shooting% argument isnt that much of a factor imo. Like RNH last season who had a low shooting% but his shots were all weak perimiter shots, it made sense.
Just needs to practice them, itll come.

I agree he should get some PP time this season. But with Sekera coming back I just dont see it happening.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I agree, but at the same time it's not like all of the guys manning the point right now are firing lasers night in and night out

Yea definitely. One of the issues with this team for sure, we are able to hold the puck in the ozone but our D cant really do much with the puck when they get it. Or as much as they should be able to do anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad