Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we traded for Pirri he could just stay in the AHL without waivers

Wonder if he's worth a look as some depth scoring for the AHL and maybe give him a shot at some point with the big club.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You were quite adamant that Schenn wasn't much of a player either. Hutch is on a hot streak right now and has shown to be able to play well. To go full "the guy isn't NHL" just makes you look foolish.
Luke Schenn is a marginal defenseman, and Braydon Schenn wasn't the legend he was built up to be in Philly, however he's finding success in St Louis, good for him. Hutchinson is the AHL equivalent of Matthieu Garon and Garon was just a back up.

The only thing worse then getting Hutchinson would be adding Lehtonen or Niemi.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Luke Schenn is a marginal defenseman, and Braydon Schenn wasn't the legend he was built up to be in Philly, however he's finding success in St Louis, good for him. Hutchinson is the AHL equivalent of Matthieu Garon and Garon was just a back up.

The only thing worse then getting Hutchinson would be adding Lehtonen or Niemi.
All we are looking for is a backup...

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Evander Kane could possibly be an option as well IMO. From the outside it seems like he's matured from his Winnipeg days, and I like to believe we have a pretty good group of leaders in our room.

Sign and Trade for him would be a little pricier though.

Kane (5 years at 6 million) for Caleb Jones + Slepyshev + 2nd + 3rd

Either of these Neal or Kane moves would mean we let Maroon walk as a UFA.

Salary Cap guys. Salary Cap.
If they trade for Kane, Neal, Simmonds or Pacioretty, not only will it cost them valuable assets but they are going to lose those guys when their contract expires because they can't afford any of them. Hell, the Oilers can barely afford to pay Maroon 3-4M if they choose to go that route.
Furthermore, I don't think Kane is the type of player you want to commit to long term and I'd rather not commit long term to any of those other guys who will all be 30+ when their new contract kicks in.

These guys are all rentals and I'd rather not deal a potential lottery pick or a top prospect like Puljujarvi for them. Maybe they can deal RNH for one of them but then the Oilers center depth is damaged. Like it or not, they have to develop their wingers from within, they can't afford another high priced winger with Lucic's contract already on the books.

Last edited:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Again, I would rather re-build Brossoit.
To 'rebuild' assumes he was built previously.

I don't believe he ever played well enough to be an NHL caliber goalie. He was decent in Juniors but his positioning is terrible (don't know why he can't fix it) and, in my opinion, the only times he looks 'ok is when he's scrambling around the crease. He's quick enough to move around on his knees but if there are shots anywhere from the circles in (unless they accidentally hit him), he loses them.

With LB, the team has to play lights out every time and can't afford any mistakes or they end up in the net. At this point in time, the team isn't that good and loses focus.

I think if the Oil don't do something to replace Talbot, we're well out of it by the time he comes back.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Neuwirth has another year at 2.5 per. Not an option unless Philly eats some salary, and why would they for a mid round pick?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
To 'rebuild' assumes he was built previously.

I don't believe he ever played well enough to be an NHL caliber goalie. He was decent in Juniors but his positioning is terrible (don't know why he can't fix it) and, in my opinion, the only times he looks 'ok is when he's scrambling around the crease. He's quick enough to move around on his knees but if there are shots anywhere from the circles in (unless they accidentally hit him), he loses them.

With LB, the team has to play lights out every time and can't afford any mistakes or they end up in the net. At this point in time, the team isn't that good and loses focus.

I think if the Oil don't do something to replace Talbot, we're well out of it by the time he comes back.
I 100% don't disagree, but if the Option is Brossoit or Hutchinson, I take Brossoit to avoid getting an extra contract and wasting assets.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Again, I would rather re-build Brossoit.
Rebuild him in Bakersfield. That team sucks right now. Have him and Ellis split starts the rest of the year and go get a legitimate backup. This season isn't it of reach. It might be if we waste another stretch of games on the development of a dime a dozen goaltender.

Consultant

Sep 12, 2010
Give Ellis a try.
His numbers appear as good if not better than Neuvirth or Brossiot.
Sure he lacks experience but he is 23 years old and he had a strong pre-season, I'd rather give him a game instead of paying Neuvirth 2.5 next year.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Rebuild him in Bakersfield. That team sucks right now. Have him and Ellis split starts the rest of the year and go get a legitimate backup. This season isn't it of reach. It might be if we waste another stretch of games on the development of a dime a dozen goaltender.
He would have to clear waivers, although he probably would

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Neuwirth has another year at 2.5 per. Not an option unless Philly eats some salary, and why would they for a mid round pick?

Yeah, this is the part that gets me. That sucks for them moving forward.

Philly would have to eat a good chunk of the salary as part of the deal and maybe take Fayne as well.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Brossoit again? *grumble*
dGOhw9V.png

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Why is our coach such an idiot?
I'm not ready to run Bro out of town yet, but why the hell wouldn't you try Ellis? Let's see what we've got then we know if we need to bring somebody in at least for Talbot's absence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad