Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Evander Kane could possibly be an option as well IMO. From the outside it seems like he's matured from his Winnipeg days, and I like to believe we have a pretty good group of leaders in our room.

Sign and Trade for him would be a little pricier though.

Kane (5 years at 6 million) for Caleb Jones + Slepyshev + 2nd + 3rd

Either of these Neal or Kane moves would mean we let Maroon walk as a UFA.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Highly doubt he signs for less then 6 look at what okposo and Nielsen got he's better then both of those guys

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Evander Kane could possibly be an option as well IMO. From the outside it seems like he's matured from his Winnipeg days, and I like to believe we have a pretty good group of leaders in our room.

Evander Kane's mental problems are beyond "maturing" to fix.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Keep on circling back to James Neal. Sign and trade for him please.

Cammaleri + Slepyshev + 2nd for Neal (5 years at 5 million) possibly one million retained if he asks for 6 million

Maroon - McDavid - Pulju
Caggiula - RNH - Neal
Lucic - Draisaitl - Strome
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian
I doubt Vegas has much interest in moving anyone on their roster at this point.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't want to make any trades for rental players. We're already a long shot to make the playoffs and if we do I don't see us winning the Cup this year. Any trade we make needs to improve us in the long run.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
What about a 3 way deal with Maroon going to team "A", the return from Maroon to Philly along with a 1st and Slepyshev, with Simmonds coming to Edmonton. For the Oilers it would boil down to Maroon, Slepy, 1st for Simmonds. We upgrade our top 9 speed in a big way without losing any physicality. Simmonds would certainly give the PP a massive boost, keep up with McDavid at evens, and goes to the net front where Conner can get the puck 99% of the time.

Caggiula McDavid Simmonds
Lucic Drai Puljujarvi
Khaira RNH Strome

Those lines look very balanced to me.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I don't want to make any trades for rental players. We're already a long shot to make the playoffs and if we do I don't see us winning the Cup this year. Any trade we make needs to improve us in the long run.

That's why I included a sign and trade not just acquiring rentals

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's why I included a sign and trade not just acquiring rentals
How do we manage to slip a $6m Kane under contract? Even with an $80m cap money's tight. I don't see us being in the market for Kane or Neal unless we find ourselves in a playoff position at the deadline. Even then, I'd question if it'd be worth it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Maroon - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Nugent-Hopkins - Girgensons
Cammalleri - Draisaitl - Strome
Khaira - Letestu - Kassian
Caggiula, Walker

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Benning
Sekera - Russell
Davidson

Talbot
Johnson

That looks to me like a roster that could put some wins together down the stretch. That second line has three guys who can grind and play a possession game. If Draisaitl can wake up he's more than capable of stirring the drink for those two. We could possibly have three effective scoring lines rolling and a legit goaltending tandem. Sekera coming back will be massive as well.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
How do we manage to slip a $6m Kane under contract? Even with an $80m cap money's tight. I don't see us being in the market for Kane or Neal unless we find ourselves in a playoff position at the deadline. Even then, I'd question if it'd be worth it.

We are ridiculously short on goal-scoring wingers. To the point where our future success largely rests on Yam and Pulju working out long-term, both of which are hardly yet sure-things . If you can get a consistent, established winger like Neal or Kane, signed for a few years, I would absolutely say it's worth it. Of course money would have to be shuffled around, but again, I think it's hard to say it wouldn't be worth the risk. Look at the revelation Kessel has been in Pittsburgh. I think one of Neal or Kane can be our Kessel, with similar results.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We are ridiculously short on goal-scoring wingers. To the point where our future success largely rests on Yam and Pulju working out long-term, both of which are hardly yet sure-things . If you can get a consistent, established winger like Neal or Kane, signed for a few years, I would absolutely say it's worth it. Of course money would have to be shuffled around, but again, I think it's hard to say it wouldn't be worth the risk. Look at the revelation Kessel has been in Pittsburgh. I think one of Neal or Kane can be our Kessel, with similar results.
The question you should be asking though is why a James Neal or an Evander Kane are signing for just a few years. And at a very friendly cap hit. Kane makes $5.25m today, Neal $5m. Both of them are stepping up to their big money deals. They are going UFA.

Kessel is completely different animal altogether.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Kane (6) - McDavid (12.5) - Puljujarvi (925k)
Lucic(6) - Draisaitl (8.5) - Strome (2.5 qualify)
Caggiula (2)
- RNH (6) - Yammamoto (925k)
Walker/scrub (650k) - Khaira (675k) - Kassian (1.95)

=48.625

Nurse (4.5) - Larsson (4.2)
Klefbom (4.2) - Sekera (5.5)
Russel (4) - Benning (1.5)

=23.9

Talbot (4.2)
LB (1)

=5.2

Total = 77.7 leaving 2.3 million for bonuses for the Yammo and JP

Bolded are resigned players.

So if it is an 80 cap we will be able to fit in another 6 million$ player but id much rather get Neal anyways who imo will cost less.

*Drops Mic*

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

We can fit both in as rentals this year. Our payroll is near the bottom of the league. Next season is when the cap gets tight.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
The question you should be asking though is why a James Neal or an Evander Kane are signing for just a few years. And at a very friendly cap hit. Kane makes $5.25m today, Neal $5m. Both of them are stepping up to their big money deals. They are going UFA.

Kessel is completely different animal altogether.

We can get Vegas to retain I bet which I mentioned in my post.

Hell no to an inept scorer in Girgensons. In his best ever season he was on pace for 20.5 goals. The past 3 seasons combined he is at a 18 goal pace. Thats not per season, thats combined.
We need guys who can put the puck in the net. Cap is going up lets utilize it, we should be spending up to the cap every season with a talent like McDavid on our team and a rich owner who will be fine with that.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I doubt Vegas has much interest in moving anyone on their roster at this point.

I still feel like they wanted this year to be a developmental year. I think management knows they arent going to win the cup and considering their pick wont be a low one I could easily see them trading an upcoming UFA for some futures. Which was the plan from day 1, get as many futures as possible.

The fans are interested selling Neal wont change that. It also wont change the fact they're not winning the cup this year.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We can get Vegas to retain I bet which I mentioned in my post.

Hell no to an inept scorer in Girgensons. In his best ever season he was on pace for 20.5 goals. The past 3 seasons combined he is at a 18 goal pace. Thats not per season, thats combined.
We need guys who can put the puck in the net. Cap is going up lets utilize it, we should be spending up to the cap every season with a talent like McDavid on our team and a rich owner who will be fine with that.

I appreciate the write-up. But what I'm saying is those numbers are where they're starting from in terms of negotiations. A $6m deal is wishful thinking. That's a smaller raise than Russell took this summer. And even if it does happen, it's paired with a buyout proof contract, which just gets added to the pile. And it comes at the expense of our roster depth as shown by your depth chart. I just don't see us getting into anymore trouble with the cap. Especially when we're chasing the pack.

As for Girgensons, I've already mentioned my reasoning. Swapping him for Slepyshev gives us a more versatile forward. Buffalo's not giving him those types of opportunities. They've buried him relentlessly. We've been handing Slepyshev them all season. It has the potential to have a Maroon-like payoff. Worst case scenario, there's your Letestu replacement.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We can fit both in as rentals this year. Our payroll is near the bottom of the league. Next season is when the cap gets tight.
I'm talking about them as a long-term add. We shouldn't be shopping for rentals at this point.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

Not denying that Kane could help us and would be a nice upgrade on Maroon, but even though he seems to have matured some I still think he's a net negative influence in the room and sure to cause atleast a few issues over the term of that deal. Second thing I don't see Kane signing for $6M if he can help it, if he keeps up his present point production he might be able to get $7M he seems like he is the type to chase $$$ over cups and he'll likely follow any course his agent sets for him to get the most money possible, market wise I'm guessing he'll aim for the NY region, California, or Florida.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Not sure if Kane's the type of guy I want to round off the top 6. Not because of his off ice issues, but I just don't think another (expensive) pure-scorer is needed/the answer.

I'd rather get a guy that excels at doing the little things to make a line effective, for example Sobokta. Caggiula could also be this guy, but SOB is a finished product though.

SOB/Caggiula-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl

With Khaira earning his spot on the roster, Maroon is more expendable. I think having both Maroon and Lucic in the lineup is over kill, especially with Khaira and Kassian here; you don't need (or want) more than 3 of these guys at 1 time, they're just too repetitive.

I've said it a few times, but I'd like to move out Maroon and replace him with a more rounded player like Zach Smith.

Caggiula/SOB-McDavid-Pulju
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Smith-Strome-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu/Walker-Kassian

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm talking about them as a long-term add. We shouldn't be shopping for rentals at this point.

I'll low ball and predict that the cap goes up to 80 million next season. That gives us around 18.5 million to play with but we will need to qualify Strome, Slepyshev, Caggiula, Davidson, Benning, Nurse and sign a backup goalie. We also will need to find a 4c and top 6 LW if we let Letestu and Maroon walk, which I predict we will.

Strome= 3
Slepyshev= 1.5
Caggiula= 2
Davidson= 1.2
Benning= 3
Nurse= 4
Backup goalie= 1

Total= 15.7

Worst case scenario we have 2.3 million next season to get a 4C and a top 6 LW. We have numerous internal options for 4C but nothing at LW.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Not denying that Kane could help us and would be a nice upgrade on Maroon, but even though he seems to have matured some I still think he's a net negative influence in the room and sure to cause atleast a few issues over the term of that deal. Second thing I don't see Kane signing for $6M if he can help it, if he keeps up his present point production he might be able to get $7M he seems like he is the type to chase $$$ over cups and he'll likely follow any course his agent sets for him to get the most money possible, market wise I'm guessing he'll aim for the NY region, California, or Florida.

I think he only gets 6 million for precisely the reason you mentioned above.

As for market location I would probably agree even though 1/2 of those teams wouldnt want him for numerous reasons (history, better LWs, capspace, having Andrew Ladd :laugh:). Thats why I'd only do a sign and trade for him even if it means paying a little more to acquire.

I prefer Neal anyways.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I'll low ball and predict that the cap goes up to 80 million next season. That gives us around 18.5 million to play with but we will need to qualify Strome, Slepyshev, Caggiula, Davidson, Benning, Nurse and sign a backup goalie. We also will need to find a 4c and top 6 LW if we let Letestu and Maroon walk, which I predict we will.

Strome= 3
Slepyshev= 1.5
Caggiula= 2
Davidson= 1.2
Benning= 3
Nurse= 4
Backup goalie= 1

Total= 15.7

Worst case scenario we have 2.3 million next season to get a 4C and a top 6 LW. We have numerous internal options for 4C but nothing at LW.

I dont think Benning sniffs anything over 2. I'd say he gets a bridge of 2 years at 2 million.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Remember when HfOil was obsessed with Jarnkrok for RNH... good times.

Never settle for less values on your players. Unless you absolutely have to anyways.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not sure if Kane's the type of guy I want to round off the top 6. Not because of his off ice issues, but I just don't think another (expensive) pure-scorer is needed/the answer.

I'd rather get a guy that excels at doing the little things to make a line effective, for example Sobokta. Caggiula could also be this guy, but SOB is a finished product though.

SOB/Caggiula-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl

With Khaira earning his spot on the roster, Maroon is more expendable. I think having both Maroon and Lucic in the lineup is over kill, especially with Khaira and Kassian here; you don't need (or want) more than 3 of these guys at 1 time, they're just too repetitive.

I've said it a few times, but I'd like to move out Maroon and replace him with a more rounded player like Zach Smith.

Caggiula/SOB-McDavid-Pulju
Lucic-RNH-Draisaitl
Smith-Strome-Slepyshev
Khaira-Letestu/Walker-Kassian
Not sure I agree. I think a guy with speed and finish is exactly what we need right now.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I bet they are already making Evander Kane jersey's in Vancouver right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad