Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I point out a fact about the Sharks team we beat and I get "wow you're so negative". Sorry I want the team to be in cup contention before McDavids ELC runs out.

you have a point about the injuries on the Sharks, but our team was also going through a flu, which impeded Draisaitl and others quite a lot.

Also, we didn't get beaten by the Ducks because of overwhelming skill. They were a veteran team that schooled a younger one, and did every dirty trick to get past us, playing the refs like a fiddle. They only barely beat us in the end, but it's clear that the whole playoffs were a huge confidence boost as well as a learning experience, and that help our young players' development.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Chiarelli's going to be in for a rude awakening when the Oilers are struggling just to make the playoffs this season. Does he not see the huge whole on our blueline and the downgrading of the forward corps?
And Foo can go **** himself. Traitor

yeah too bad it's October already

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Been saying this for a while. The Oilers are handcuffed without knowing what the McDavid and Drai numbers will be. Chia already blew his wad with the Lucic, Sekera and Russell contracts and others like Talbot plus some young players are likely due for raises in the coming years.

Can't take on any multi year contracts so he'll likely look to add a cheap 1 year contract or two but which quality vets are willing to take that? Not many I would imagine. This is our roster unless a trade presents itself at some point where salary is being moved out. Just gotta hope for some internal growth.

The Eberle/Strome deal, Russell contract (although I was a bit surprised at the 4 years) and quiet signing day was so easy to telegraph for a couple of weeks now.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Now I'm just waiting for one of/both McDavid and Draisaitl to request a trade to put the cherry on top of this ****** offseason

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
2/3 of the guys on the UFA market are guys you will be complaining/regretting signing a year from now, mark my words.

UFA market is like buying your candy at the movie theatre ... you're paying 2-4x the cost.

Everything hinges on McDavid/Draisaitl. If those guys are money-focused, then honestly IMO you hold back and accept that your Cup window is not now. You are going to have to pay them and wait 3-5 years for the cap to rise again and then go for it when they are in their mid-20s.

In this scenario you're better off not signing UFAs and doing things like trading away draft picks for short term rentals.

If they are willing to take less then maybe your window moves up and you re-examine from there.

Honestly at this point I'd maybe just look at Grigorenko and Del Zotto as value adds and maybe even bring back Pitlick too.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Some HF poster sitting in his mother's basement>Peter Chiarelli

That's what I've learned today folks

Oh yes of course no one can criticize any GM ever because they got the job and I'm just a random guy what do I know?

Why is it looked down upon to critically assess a GM's moves? Why is he like a god to you guys?

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Trying to be optimistic but looking at our defense with sekera out, and our RW paper thin, I dont know how I feel about standing pat.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We finished 2 points out of winning the division. We were one of the best teams in the league. I understand wanting to get better but you don't mess to much with team chemistry. Our only need is a right shot defenceman, we technically don't really need a 3C with RNH and Strome on the team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Strome was scoring at a 50 point pace after Capuano was fired too. The same as Eberle.

I'm not worried about that. I'm worried about the McDavid-Draisaitl deals ... everything hinges on that.

The ask from them will tell us if we're going to compete soon or if we have to wait for the cap to rise to realistically go for it.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I'd like Grigorenko and a D to fill Sekera's spot until he's back, the Oilers are only at 40 contracts, 41 after Yamamoto is signed so there not done done they'll make some AHL adds at the minimum.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Trying to be optimistic but looking at our defense with sekera out, and our RW paper thin, I dont know how I feel about standing pat.

Its not unreasonable though, to think that each night ONE of Nurse or Benning could handle a top 4 role. Thats where we need them in the future.

As for RW, I hope we are signing someone. Even if its Pirri. But no sense in a long term deal. Ideally Puljujarvi is there by the end of this season and Yamamoto is 2 seasons away.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Now I'm just waiting for one of/both McDavid and Draisaitl to request a trade to put the cherry on top of this ****** offseason

And the award for most melodramatic pessimistic Oiler fan goes to... McDrai!!!

It was a tough start to the offseason this year with many fans wailing about moving out Eberle for Strome, missing out on Spencer Foo, missing out on Harmonic but you sir have managed to surpass all the others with your misery! Congratulations!

Everyone has stated/reported that the mood of the team is ecstatic and keeping it together is hardly a bad strategy. Cap happens, look at Chicago's offseason and you should be very very happy.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Prediction: Oilers sign Pirri + McIlrath on July 1 and that's it.

Darkhorse prediction: Chiarelli knows a team is considering a massive offer sheet to Leon Draisaitl and has to keep the cap space intact.

Either way, I think Edmonton is dumb. The last year McDavid is on an ELC and I guess the decision is "just get the exact amount of luck we had last year."

I think Spencer Foo is just reading the tea leaves and sees Edmonton + Calgary aren't that far apart. If McDavid has a lot of competition to be his RW, and Johnny Gaudreau has....Ferland, then I think the Flames is the better fit.

We're allowed to be 10% over the cap during the summer, so I don't see why he would be worried about a Draisaitl offer sheet.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Jim Matheson really blew the Spencer Foo sweepstakes. Whoever is feeding him info these days is just screwing around.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
The Sekera injury has created a pretty big issue.

He's an important part of the team and the lineup looks notably worse without him but I understand why the Oilers don't want to overpay someone like Stone to fill in there temporarily. We'd regret that contract awfully fast IMO.

(Especially with the large contract to Russell already.)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
We finished 2 points out of winning the division. We were one of the best teams in the league. I understand wanting to get better but you don't mess to much with team chemistry. Our only need is a right shot defenceman, we technically don't really need a 3C with RNH and Strome on the team.

RNH and Strome are not 3rd line centers, Strome shouldn't be at center at all. The Oilers need a matchup center in the worst way, all good teams have them. This is a bigger need than a RHD (at least when Sekera is healthy).

Also, can't depend on the team to be healthy all season like they were last year. I think regression is quite likely with the Oilers taking a bit of a step back and others (Dallas, Calgary and I bet L.A.) getting better. It's going to be a grind. I don't understand why Vegas has the Oilers as one of the SC favorites, I guess because of McDavid but still...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

It was a tough start to the offseason this year with many fans wailing about moving out Eberle for Strome, missing out on Spencer Foo, missing out on Harmonic but you sir have managed to surpass all the others with your misery! Congratulations!

Everyone has stated/reported that the mood of the team is ecstatic and keeping it together is hardly a bad strategy. Cap happens, look at Chicago's offseason and you should be very very happy.

Getting worse should not be the goal. I realize there's lots of time left but there are still holes to fill.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
RNH and Strome are not 3rd line centers, Strome shouldn't be at center at all. The Oilers need a matchup center in the worst way, all good teams have them. This is a bigger need than a RHD (at least when Sekera is healthy).

Also, can't depend on the team to be healthy all season like they were last year. I think regression is quite likely with the Oilers taking a bit of a step back and others (Dallas, Calgary and I bet L.A.) getting better. It's going to be a grind

Yes after being gifted McDavid and Draisaitl and Nugent Hopkins as top 3 picks we need more centres, lol.

Maybe RNH should grow up and learn to not get embarrassed in a 1-on-1 center match up for a change. You were drafted no.1 overall for a reason and it wasn't to be baby sat by a veteran center in your 7th season.

Go find the weight room RNH.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Why all the doom and gloom already? There are still teams like the Avs and Habs that have done nothing to improve their areas of need. We still have assets and capspace in the event a player of interest becomes available. I can't imagine too many players are looking for a 1 year deal on a team that will need to shed salary next year.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

What did Chiarelli do this offseason so far to take this team to the next level? Trading Ebs for a downgrade on the wing and re-signing Russell and Gryba is not going to cut it. Especially with Sekera out and Puljujarvi not being ready
So if you think I'm pessimistic for wanting improvements in the offseason then sure, i guess I'm pessimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad