Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was hoping for us to try and replace Russell with an OFD, but Chiarelli has picked Russell. To me, it is a bit disappointing, but understandable. Sekera-Russell was a great pairing so it is better to have Russell than not have him.

We're also a team that has more to lose than to gain by making big changes. You don't see many other top tier teams changing much.

And to be real, there is one major way that we will see upgrades this year:
McDavid
Draisaitl
Nurse
Benning
Caggiula
Brossoit
Puljujarvi
Larsson
Klefbom

All these please are young, and have one more year of experience, and one more year closer to their physical prime. Maybe not everyone has a step forward, but most will. We are a young team that's main mission now is to grow into its potential, and it's already a team that was one game away from making the western final.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
I was hoping for us to try and replace Russell with an OFD, but Chiarelli has picked Russell. To me, it is a bit disappointing, but understandable. Sekera-Russell was a great pairing so it is better to have Russell than not have him.

We're also a team that has more to lose than to gain by making big changes. You don't see many other top tier teams changing much.

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nurse
Benning
Caggiula
Brossoit
Puljujarvi
Larsson
Klefbom

All these please are young, and have one more year of experience, and one more year closer to their physical prime. Maybe not everyone has a step forward, but most will. We are a young team that's main mission now is to grow into its potential, and it's already a team that was one game away from making the western final.

:handclap:

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
For Foo it seems the factor of Yamamoto and the possibility of Pool Party maybe he figured Calgary was a better option plus still a playoff contender

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country

McDavid
Draisaitl
Nurse
Benning
Caggiula
Brossoit
Puljujarvi
Larsson
Klefbom

You know, you're not wrong.

But we have used that logic before. Hall, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov, Nuge.

Now I'm not saying the players you listed aren't capable of bucking the trend, but surrounding the team with a better pieces to help facilitate that is what I'm looking for.

Injured Sekera opens up an opportunity for Nurse/Benning. But a step down is as likely as a step up in the wrong circumstances. Look how Davidson's value/play dropped after a promising end to 2016.

I am banking on the players you listed a lot more than the other names I've mentioned. You are correct.
Just a little uneasy at putting more "ifs" into the season than we need to.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The Oilers had a good dressing room for the first time in a decade and certain people are chomping at the bit to rip it apart? Add in the contract uncertainty with how much McDavid and Draisaitl will command, and I can understand Chiarelli locking up the guys from last year's team who fulfilled their role and then waiting to see if a fit can be found in UFA.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
You realize their #1 center was playing on 1 leg right? And we still had to make it by Nashville and Pittsburgh which IMO wasn't happening.

Our team played with the flu for most of that series.

And Thornton is no longer their number 1 center bro

And there is no way to tell who would have won if we played Nashville or Pittsburgh. It is likely we would have lost but not guaranteed.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The Oilers had a good dressing room for the first time in a decade and certain people are chomping at the bit to rip it apart? Add in the contract uncertainty with how much McDavid and Draisaitl will command, and I can understand Chiarelli locking up the guys from last year's team who fulfilled their role and then waiting to see if a fit can be found in UFA.
Tear it apart!

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly there's not a lot to be excited about in this crop of free agents anyway.

Get those Draisaitl and McDavid contracts done and lets look forward to training camp.

We'll likely see a few good value depth signings at least.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If the summer is over now, that's pretty disappointing. The Oilers still need at least one more forward and one more D-man IMO.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Maroon-McD-Strome
Looch-Drai-JP
Poo-RNH-Cags
Sleppy-Letestu-Kassian

Klef-Larsson
Russel-Benning
Nurse-Gryba

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This whole thing depends on McDavid/Draisaitl's contracts.

Little UFA moves don't mean crap at this stage. McDavid/Draisaitl's contracts will determine this teams future for the next 3-4 years.

If they're not willing to take less, then we are still in a bit of a rebuild phase where we will need to build up a cupboard of cheap drafted players who can slot in 3-4 years down the line.

This whole "Strome versus Eberle" nonsense doesn't mean ****. We have much more important things to worry about this summer.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
How so?

Thornton and Boedker were the only decent players to not play all 6 games. They still played 4 each.

There were likely many players playing injured, but Edmonton played most of the series with the flu and had their own injuries to deal with I'm sure.

Everyone plays hurt in the playoffs.

Just because you're playing doesn't mean you're 100%.

Thornton was basically playing with a floating knee. Marleau had a broken fingers. Couture still wasn't 100%. Donskoi had a shoulder injury. Hertl had a broken foot.

We were 100x luckier than they were when it came to injuries

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
It's funny how Oiler fans always say "stay off the main boards" meanwhile this place hasn't been much better lately.

Some of you guys are so dramatic:laugh:

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Just because you're playing doesn't mean you're 100%.

Thornton was basically playing with a floating knee. Marleau had a broken fingers. Couture still wasn't 100%. Donskoi had a shoulder injury. Hertl had a broken foot.

We were 100x luckier than they were when it came to injuries

Every team has injuries in the playoffs every year.

Its not an excuse. We beat them fair and square and we could beat them again no problem.

Did you forget our team was sick for most of the series? Remember watching the interviews where Draisaitl couldn't even talk he was coughing so much?

Even for a world class athlete there is no way you can play at 100% when you are sick as ****.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I'll be pretty disappointed if the Oilers mail it in for the offseason. I get you want to give JP a spot or give Yamamoto a chance to make it but we are at a stage where we should have these guys force a spot and worry about moving others after that. At this point, it seems like Puju is being handed a spot and although I'm a big fan of his, I would rather him force our hand and earn it. I still think Chia needs to sign a 2RW (stop gap) and a 4-5 dmen on a one year deal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You know, you're not wrong.

But we have used that logic before. Hall, Eberle, Schultz, Yakupov, Nuge.

Now I'm not saying the players you listed aren't capable of bucking the trend, but surrounding the team with a better pieces to help facilitate that is what I'm looking for.

Injured Sekera opens up an opportunity for Nurse/Benning. But a step down is as likely as a step up in the wrong circumstances. Look how Davidson's value/play dropped after a promising end to 2016.

I am banking on the players you listed a lot more than the other names I've mentioned. You are correct.
Just a little uneasy at putting more "ifs" into the season than we need to.

yes, I've made this argument before even, and I think even then it was true. The problem was that the team was taking steps back in other ways, and in general was starting from a low, low place. We have a higher position now, and the only step back we have is subbing out Eberle for Strome. Let's get real about that though. I would have liked Ebs to stay a year but he wasn't exactly playing well lately. And just like our young guys, Strome is also a young player who could take a step forward.

And yes, it's a lot of "if"s, but I think ultimately because of the cap we have to do it this way. We're not going to sign Shattenkirk to 6 million AAV. We're not going to throw draft picks away for players either. I think the term on Russell is a bit irresponsible, but we do need our veterans and we have no guarantees this summer and not many great replacements available. I'm also holding out for confirmation on Russell's contract details. If he's tradeable next summer then it's a great deal for us.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
None of the teams from the 2nd round onwards are going to be making massive changes guys.

The status of the McDavid/Draisaitl deals will spell our fate for the future, that's 10000x more important than "we're thinner on the RW than I'd like". That stuff doesn't matter.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Great dressing room...

103 point season. Second in division, 8th OA...

Minor roster changes to improve the cap situation moving forward substantially...

Fire Chiarelli!!!!

I will be very disappointed if we even dabble in FA this year. The talent is not there. Because of Vegas teams have more space than usual. Prices are going to be insane for average to bad players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille