Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Chia is going to spend the rest of the summer getting bent over by Draisaitl's agent so not many other moves is not terribly surprising.

Not even sure why people want to go UFA hunting ... it's going to cost us out the ass and lead to a contract that in 2 years we're likely wishing we never signed.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Why improve the team? We did win ONE WHOLE playoff series against an injury riddled Sharks team. Mission accomplished

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Now that Foo is off the table... I hope that Pitlick or Weal get signed. Not a fan of 'standing pat' at this point.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Rishaug isn't the GM, but he seems to a shill and have his sources going back to that Hall deal.

Maybe they are using him to undersell. i don't think Chia is done.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG

Continue here. Last thread surpassed 1k posts.

Man I hope they're wrong. I was really looking forward to this summer and the potential moves we could see. Hope we see at least a depth D and bottom 6/vet signing.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
The team that almost won the cup the previous year.

No, this year's team had a ton of injuries, Oilers were basically unscathed in that series.

And then we lost to Ducks, I don't care if "we brought them to game 7", you don't get participation ribbons in the NHL lol. We're just banking on development for improvement and development isn't linear

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The real drama on July 1 is whether or not McDavid is willing to take a cap friendly contract for the team and whether or not Chia is anywhere closer to a Draisaitl deal.

Those two things will have a far larger bearing on the Oilers' next 4-5 years than some depth d-man signing.

If neither is willing to take less money, then really all these little moves are pointless. I don't give a crap about Marleau, Del Zotto, Franson, or whatever little moves Chia would've made. We are not winning a Cup any time soon with a money-first kind of attitude from the players.

If they're not then just enjoy maybe another playoff berth and 2nd round exit and don't expect much more than that. Chia should not be doing stupid things like wheeling and dealing 1st rounders for rentals. We are going to need those picks for 4-5 years in the future when the cap is higher and maybe we go for it all then.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Rishaug isn't the GM, but he seems to a shill and have his sources going back to that Hall deal.

Maybe they are using him to undersell. i don't think Chia is done.

Yeah I think this is the case. They knew we were waiting on Foo as the next new thing, now they want to basically stamp the disappointment a bit to make July 1 more of a forgive and forget scenario. Zero to Hero always sheds better light.

Pools Closed*

Dec 1, 2010
Same team as last year minus the dead weight. I fully expect there will be a tweak or two. I'm sure it's pretty boring for you fantasy draft guys but I personally like watching the team in the playoffs.

We downgraded Eberle by 20 points, won't have Sekera for 3 months, and definitely won't have the injury luck we did last year.

And even if it wasn't a downgrade, our defense wasn't good enough to compete with teams like Anaheim and Nashville. Chiarelli even said so himself. Is he just too lazy/useless to get an upgrade? There were tons of good dmen available this summer.

NeutralFan88

Jun 23, 2017
Who else are the Oilers looking at? Cue trevilling coming in for them lol #GMcan'tthinkforhimself...

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Man I hope they're wrong. I was really looking forward to this summer and the potential moves we could see. Hope we see at least a depth D and bottom 6/vet signing.

My gut tells me changes will come through a trade, not free agency. But my gut knows absolutely nothing. Except hunger.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
No, this year's team had a ton of injuries, Oilers were basically unscathed in that series.

How so?

Thornton and Boedker were the only decent players to not play all 6 games. They still played 4 each.

There were likely many players playing injured, but Edmonton played most of the series with the flu and had their own injuries to deal with I'm sure.

Everyone plays hurt in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->