Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
So, even if we assume development is linear (it isn't), do you think the team's growth can overcome some time without Sekera and 70% of Eberle? As well as regression of older players?

This is assuming of course there are no injuries, and Talbot is still an elite goaltender saving Oilers butts daily.

We're assuming a lot of things for a better Oilers team. That's not a good thing

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Probably gonna pick up a depth d-man on a 1 yr deal at some point, similar to Russell deal last year. I would have some interest in Johnny Oduya.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Just because you're playing doesn't mean you're 100%.

Thornton was basically playing with a floating knee. Marleau had a broken fingers. Couture still wasn't 100%. Donskoi had a shoulder injury. Hertl had a broken foot.

We were 100x luckier than they were when it came to injuries
How about the Ducks? Were they all hurt too? How's all that negativity working for you?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So, even if we assume development is linear (it isn't), do you think the team's growth can overcome some time without Sekera and 70% of Eberle? As well as regression of older players?

This is assuming of course there are no injuries, and Talbot is still an elite goaltender saving Oilers butts daily.

We're assuming a lot of things for a better Oilers team. That's not a good thing

You should be more worried about contracts. Things like Eberle vs. Strome are trivial.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
How about the Ducks? Were they all hurt too? How's all that negativity working for you?

I point out a fact about the Sharks team we beat and I get "wow you're so negative". Sorry I want the team to be in cup contention before McDavids ELC runs out.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Chi winning their first cup with Toews/Kane

Buff-Toews-Hossa
Versteeg-Sharp-Kane
Ladd-Madden-Brouwer

Keith-Campbell
Haalmerson-Seabrook
Sopel-Barker

Ya I'd say we don't have nearly that kinda depth

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Talk about a underwhelming offseason so far and that right side is hurting but in fairness, chia did say 97 and 29 were first on his to-do list cause so far he sure has not done anything that has turn anyone's head.:shakehead

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I point out a fact about the Sharks team we beat and I get "wow you're so negative". Sorry I want the team to be in cup contention before McDavids ELC runs out.
You refuse to admit the team contended in the playoffs by discrediting their competition...got to call you on it.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
None of the teams from the 2nd round onwards are going to be making massive changes guys.

The status of the McDavid/Draisaitl deals will spell our fate for the future, that's 10000x more important than "we're thinner on the RW than I'd like". That stuff doesn't matter.

No one is looking for massive changes. But as it stands today the Oilers have downgraded their top 6, don't really have a 3C and are going to be missing one of their top 3 defensemen anywhere from the first month of the season to close to the trade deadline.

It's easy to say that stuff doesn't matter. But that stuff absolutely does matter. That is the stuff that is going to directly impact the team this season in what might actually be their best chance to win a cup. Because McDavid's monster contract kicks in next summer we are going to need to start cutting even more salary.

The Oilers are going to have money under the cap this season even if Draisaitl does make more than anyone wants. You don't get to bank cap space for future years.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's honestly a good thing that we plan to be quiet July 1. That means there aren't a ton of holes.

'Quiet' doesn't mean 'do nothing' though. Just means we won't be after guys like Alzner and Shattenkirk. It doesn't mean we won't be in the market for a guy that can play 3C or fill in on the 2nd pairing, it just means maybe we wait a few guys out.

The offseason is long and full of freak outs apparently. Panic in September.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

No one understands how important it is to add to the team. We really should be going all in this year then re adjusting once Mcdavids new contract kicks in.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
No one is looking for massive changes. But as it stands today the Oilers have downgraded their top 6, don't really have a 3C and are going to be missing one of their top 3 defensemen anywhere from the first month of the season to close to the trade deadline.

It's easy to say that stuff doesn't matter. But that stuff absolutely does matter. That is the stuff that is going to directly impact the team this season in what might actually be their best chance to win a cup before McDavid's monster contract kicks in next summer.

The Oilers are going to have money under the cap this season even if Draisaitl does make more than anyone wants. You don't get to bank cap space for future years.
Not much of a downgrade really.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
If he's not actively trying to make this team better I'll be very disappointed. As of right now we are a worse team. Banking on a lot of our players to step up is not a good idea.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
You refuse to admit the team contended in the playoffs by discrediting their competition...got to call you on it.

No I'm saying Oilers were lucky this season in terms of injury and it showed on the playoffs until we played ducks, how is this false? That doesn't mean the team wasn't competitive, literally assume the worst out of everything I said.

In the end, we are a good team, but so far with this roster, we aren't competing for the cup.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's honestly a good thing that we plan to be quiet July 1. That means there aren't a ton of holes.

'Quiet' doesn't mean 'do nothing' though. Just means we won't be after guys like Alzner and Shattenkirk. It doesn't mean we won't be in the market for a guy that can play 3C or fill in on the 2nd pairing, it just means maybe we wait a few guys out.

The offseason is long and full of freak outs apparently. Panic in September.

Have you seen our RW depth? We aren't exactly deep on the back end either. If Drai has to slot in on the top line again the Oilers have next to no secondary scoring.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Our team played with the flu for most of that series.

And Thornton is no longer their number 1 center bro

And there is no way to tell who would have won if we played Nashville or Pittsburgh. It is likely we would have lost but not guaranteed.

Sure, and that Logan Couture guy was 100% healthy despite having jaw surgery like a week earlier.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
No I'm saying Oilers were lucky this season in terms of injury and it showed on the playoffs until we played ducks, how is this false? That doesn't mean the team wasn't competitive, literally assume the worst out of everything I said.
Fair enough but the same old diatribe gets old.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Chiarelli's going to be in for a rude awakening when the Oilers are struggling just to make the playoffs this season. Does he not see the huge whole on our blueline and the downgrading of the forward corps?
And Foo can go **** himself. Traitor

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Prediction: Oilers sign Pirri + McIlrath on July 1 and that's it.

Darkhorse prediction: Chiarelli knows a team is considering a massive offer sheet to Leon Draisaitl and has to keep the cap space intact.

Either way, I think Edmonton is dumb. The last year McDavid is on an ELC and I guess the decision is "just get the exact amount of luck we had last year."

I think Spencer Foo is just reading the tea leaves and sees Edmonton + Calgary aren't that far apart. If McDavid has a lot of competition to be his RW, and Johnny Gaudreau has....Ferland, then I think the Flames is the better fit.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Fair enough but the same old diatribe gets old.

I mean I kinda have to go on about it for people to understand that this is McDavids last year at ELC and we need to go all in for the Cup. I feel like Chiarelli is planning for a 2020 Cup and not a 2018 Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad