Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV: Lucic willing to sign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Still a free agent. You open yourself to offer sheets and you have no idea where he will come in salary wise.

Trades like that aren't made without A. knowing what his contract demands are & B. Being able to speak to his agent to get the general framework of a contract laid out. Most contract negotiations go on for quite a while potentially multiple months, but when a team trades for an RFA the general tendancy is the deals gets hammered out quite quickly like inside of a week. The fear of him being offer sheeted post trade is an irrational one.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
A scoring line in the west needs speed to get into the offensize zone, size to make space and win puck battles, and handsand IQ to make plays. Lucic - McDavid - Eberle

I agree but I don't think it's any better than Pouliot - McDavid -Eberle. Possibly worse too.

Lucic does bring unprecedented toughness but I'm not sure it'll be worth it (giving up offense and the cap space it would take)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
With some time to really think this over here are my thoughts. We need to start thinking "win now" and try to compete for a Stanley Cup. The goal is to hoist Lord Stanley. Period. Singular goal and focus.

Our window is just opening right now. We still have McDavid and Drai on ELCs, we need to spend money right now. Load up while we can still spend. Structure it so the money is front loaded. We know in a few years 97 & 29 will be looking at 10+ and 7+ million per year.

For example, Lucic 5.5 x 5 = 27.5M. Even if the Kings offered 6M x 3 = 18M, Lucic leaves money on the table in a big way. He knows this, his agent knows this. Term is important. That is our position of strength.

Structure his contract so he gets 7.5M in both 2016-17 and 2017-18. That gives him $15M, then pay the remaining $12.5 over 3 years. Do $4.5M in year 3. $4M in years 4 and 5 when McDavid and Drai come off their ELCs.

Put Lucic in a room with 97 for 10 minutes and I can almost guarantee he will come out of there saying "sign me up. I want to play with him". Chia could rationally explain why a front loaded contract with term makes the most sense. I bet Lucic would love the possibility to play with 97 in a brand new arena. Plus, when EDM is a winner, there are no better fans. He will be a King in EDM.

Does Lucic solve all of our problems? No. But signing him makes it easier to move our softer/smaller wingers + draft picks for D.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
Trades like that aren't made without A. knowing what his contract demands are & B. Being able to speak to his agent to get the general framework of a contract laid out. Most contract negotiations go on for quite a while potentially multiple months, but when a team trades for an RFA the general tendancy is the deals gets hammered out quite quickly like inside of a week. The fear of him being offer sheeted post trade is an irrational one.

It doesn't change the fact that he is not worth the 4oa

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
With some time to really think this over here are my thoughts. We need to start thinking "win now" and try to compete for a Stanley Cup. The goal is to hoist Lord Stanley. Period. Singular goal and focus.

Our window is just opening right now. We still have McDavid and Drai on ELCs, we need to spend money right now. Load up while we can still spend. Structure it so the money is front loaded. We know in a few years 97 & 29 will be looking at 10+ and 7+ million per year.

For example, Lucic 5.5 x 5 = 27.5M. Even if the Kings offered 6M x 3 = 18M, Lucic leaves money on the table in a big way. He knows this, his agent knows this. Term is important. That is our position of strength.

Structure his contract so he gets 7.5M in both 2016-17 and 2017-18. That gives him $15M, then pay the remaining $12.5 over 3 years. Do $4.5M in year 3. $4M in years 4 and 5 when McDavid and Drai come off their ELCs.

Put Lucic in a room with 97 for 10 minutes and I can almost guarantee he will come out of there saying "sign me up. I want to play with him". Chia could rationally explain why a front loaded contract with term makes the most sense. I bet Lucic would love the possibility to play with 97 in a brand new arena. Plus, when EDM is a winner, there are no better fans. He will be a King in EDM.

Does Lucic solve all of our problems? No. But signing him makes it easier to move our softer/smaller wingers + draft picks for D.
What differnce does this make ? the cap hit stays the same.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What differnce does this make ? the cap hit stays the same.

I apologize for my ignorance, I am more familiar with the NFL CBA. Can you not front load a contract and have different cap hits in separate seasons?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sadly, no. The cap hit will be the average for every year of the deal.

Thank you. I actually did not know that. That's my bad, I assumed it was like the NFL where you can front load a contract (i.e. Drew Brees).

Too bad, kind of a silly rule. Being able to front load would have really helped us.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Thank you. I actually did not know that. That's my bad, I assumed it was like the NFL where you can front load a contract (i.e. Drew Brees).

Too bad, kind of a silly rule. Being able to front load would have really helped us.

I think it would lead to even more cap circumvention than already exists. I guess you can still money front load a contract, which could help a cap floor team in the future.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Front loading could help in a couple of ways. Lucic gets more money up front on his deal. Also, if the contract is front loaded, it could be appealing for salary floor teams near the end of the deal.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think it would lead to even more cap circumvention than already exists. I guess you can still money front load a contract, which could help a cap floor team in the future.

Yeah, I probably should have brushed up on the NHL CBA terms.

It's unfortunate for us in our current situation with Drai and McDavid on ELCs, we could have front loaded the next couple years. But I guess it makes sense for parity and fairness.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge

They limited that too, you can still do it but I think its capped at like 30% variance. Front loading contracts is always good for non budget teams. Doubt Faulk would be available if he wasn't hitting the high pay portion of his contract.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'd love Lucic but have no interest in paying him 6m a year.

I'd sooner go for players like Joel Ward, Troy Brouwer, David Backes.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
yesterday, various media reported that the Avs are looking for defence and they want to get tougher defencemen. They may not be all that interested in RNH or the 4th overall pick.

I hate to do it but a deal around Nurse for Barrie + might make sense. With Klefbom and Sekera signed long term, Nurse is battling Davidson for 3rd pairing ice time. That is a waste of his talents as early as this year, for sure in the near future. At some point in the next two years, we will have to trade one of Davidson or Nurse.

Given that he is expansion draft safe, Nurse' value is much higher than it otherwhise would be. That is why added the + on Colorado's side. I am not sure how to balance value but Nurse and Barrie are logical starting points.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
yesterday, various media reported that the Avs are looking for defence and they want to get tougher defencemen. They may not be all that interested in RNH or the 4th overall pick.

I hate to do it but a deal around Nurse for Barrie + might make sense. With Klefbom and Sekera signed long term, Nurse is battling Davidson for 3rd pairing ice time. That is a waste of his talents as early as this year, for sure in the near future. At some point in the next two years, we will have to trade one of Davidson or Nurse.

Given that he is expansion draft safe, Nurse' value is much higher than it otherwhise would be. That is why added the + on Colorado's side. I am not sure how to balance value but Nurse and Barrie are logical starting points.

If they want a big strong dman, I'm offering Reinhart and 32, not Nurse

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I'd love Lucic but have no interest in paying him 6m a year.

I'd sooner go for players like Joel Ward, Troy Brouwer, David Backes.

I also don't think Lucic is worth 6m a year. Brouwer and Backes will probably be grossly overpaid too.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

If it werent for the fact that we are in a win now mode, it be fun to look at an expansion draft tactic.

Nuge for 7th overall + 2nd rounder. Nurse/Eberle for Barrie/10th. Use the 2nd from Arizona and maybe a 3rd to move up from 10 to 8.

Leave the draft with Dubois, Sergachev and Nylander all expansion protected and ready for nhl in a year.

Sign some free agents to fill in the gaps and win under those guys in their ELC's.

I'm not advocating for this because I want to win now. Just a fun idea

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
BTW, a wrench just got tossed into a few team's off season plans. A report out this morning indicates that teams will be forced to protect players with NMC, even if they expire 10 days later. If we can't buy out Ference, we have to protect him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
BTW, a wrench just got tossed into a few team's off season plans. A report out this morning indicates that teams will be forced to protect players with NMC, even if they expire 10 days later. If we can't buy out Ference, we have to protect him.

There's also talk that players with career ending injuries will be exempt

doubledown99

May 21, 2009

Stauffers said the Oilers will take Pakarinen to arbitration which will open up second buyout window so the team can buyout Ference. So I think the Oilers will be fine. I've also read teams won't have to protect players whose careers are over due to injury (like Pronger and Ference potentially if it applies)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad