Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV: Lucic willing to sign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The majority of these players don't have plummeting value despite what posters like you seem to think. I'm not sure what you expect me to say. "**** it. Blow it up. Reinhart and Yakupov are busts and will never amount to anything. We picked all the wrong guys 1st overall so lets trade them all for big guys to play with McDavid because him+big players=success?"

Taylor Hall is one of the best players in the league at his position. He does more for us on this team than in the trade market. And unless another GM can step in and blow the doors off, he should stay an Oiler until a younger, cheaper replacement emerges. I'm not sure why that's so hard to understand.

What's hard for me to understand is how you know Hall does more for the Oilers than the return he would bring on the trade market. No one here knows what is on the table except the Oilers front office.

And why exactly can't he go unless someone younger and cheaper takes his place?

Why couldn't an older and higher paid Lucic take his spot and Hall be dealt for a top pairing defenseman and a top 9 winger?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What's hard for me to understand is how you know Hall does more for the Oilers than the return he would bring on the trade market. No one here knows what is on the table except the Oilers front office.

Why couldn't an older and higher paid Lucic take his spot and Hall be dealt for a top pairing defenseman and a top 9 winger?

Because that's too wide a brush to be painting with.

If we trade Hall for Jared Spurgeon and Jason Zucker, we might as well fire the team into orbit. If we trade Hall for Aaron Ekblad and Jonathan Huberdeau, we party in the streets.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Because you don't get better as a team by erasing your best players and replacing them with older, more expensive ones. That's how you limit your potential. When our team is being led by these 22-23 year old players the goal is to add to that group to help them grow and improve.

Your idea here includes trading Hall for what one would assume to be high paid players in return and then you're replacing Hall with another high paid player in Lucic to play with McDavid, who in two years is also going to be highly paid. The salary cap limits what we can do on the market to a degree even though the cap space appears to be there right now.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Is anyone watching the finals this year? Pittsburgh are showing what a truly fast team can do. Yes the Oilers need to get bigger. Signing Lucic would help with that. But they also need to get faster. Trading Hall kills that. If the Oiler signed Lucic, Pouliot would be the LW to go, not Hall.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn't mind having Lucic come to town. McDavid plays well with big, strong wingers who can drive the cycle game opening up time and space for him.

With Lucic, Maroon, and Kassian up front this ain't the same old soft Oilers.

5.5 x 5 seems appropriate. Front load the contract and pay big dollars early. McDavid and Drai are still on ELCs, McDavid will be looking at 10+ per year and Drai likely 7+ per year down the road.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Is anyone watching the finals this year? Pittsburgh are showing what a truly fast team can do. Yes the Oilers need to get bigger. Signing Lucic would help with that. But they also need to get faster. Trading Hall kills that. If the Oiler signed Lucic, Pouliot would be the LW to go, not Hall.

Signing Lucic would also severely hinder the quest to get faster.

We need an identity and hopefully it's one that can win in the current NHL.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I understand what Lucic brings but in a literal sense, Pouliot is both big and fast.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

You need a mix. I'm not convinced Pittsburgh is the way to build. If they win the cup, they just might be the worst cup winner since I can remember. Guys like Sheary, Rust, and their whole defense are overachieving at the right time. The identity our team should have is one that can beat you any way possible. No one is going to touch our star players or Lucic, Maroon and Kassian are coming. This team has been soft since 2007.. Lucic changes the complexion of our top 9 completely.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You need a mix. I'm not convinced Pittsburgh is the way to build. If they win the cup, they just might be the worst cup winner since I can remember. Guys like Sheary, Rust, and their whole defense are overachieving at the right time. The identity our team should have is one that can beat you any way possible. No one is going to touch our star players or Lucic, Maroon and Kassian are coming. This team has been soft since 2007.. Lucic changes the complexion of our top 9 completely.

Yup. Lay a finger on 97 and it's ****ing war. Lucic would be a fan favourite here. We love our Semenkos and Laraques. Lucic also brings offense too and steady two way game.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
Remember when Cooke cheap shotted Savard? Sure didn't seem like Lucic being on the ice really mattered when he did that.

Lucic is a good player, but the way people talk about him its like we're trying to pay for an ice scarecrow.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
God, I hope LA re-signs Lucic before something stupid happens.

The idea of Hall out and Lucic in makes me nauseous. I'd pretty much be calling for Peter Chiarelli's immediate dismissal.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Remember when Cooke cheap shotted Savard? Sure didn't seem like Lucic being on the ice really mattered when he did that.

Lucic is a good player, but the way people talk about him its like we're trying to pay for an ice scarecrow.

No one thinks that there is a silver bullet for deterring the Matt Cookes of the world. Guys like Lucic are pieces toward building a more physically resilient team in general. See how the winnipeg jets beat up the Oilers almost into submission the past few years, and you'll get the importance of guys like Lucic.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
God, I hope LA re-signs Lucic before something stupid happens.

The idea of Hall out and Lucic in makes me nauseous. I'd pretty much be calling for Peter Chiarelli's immediate dismissal.

I don't think Lucic means Hall is out. McDavid, Drai, and Hall are the core forwards we build around.

Only way Hall goes is if someone like Subban/Pietro coming back. If it meant Hall + 4 OA for one of those guys I'd probably do it. Anything less, no thanks.

Lucic make Pouliot, Yak, #4 OA easier to trade.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't think Lucic means Hall is out. McDavid, Drai, and Hall are the core forwards we build around.

Only way Hall goes is if someone like Subban/Pietro coming back. If it meant Hall + 4 OA for one of those guys I'd probably do it. Anything less, no thanks.

Lucic make Pouliot, Yak, #4 OA easier to trade.

I don't particularly love Lucic in a vacuum, tbh. A 28 year old, declining power forward with multiple recent down years who will be looking for 7M+.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I don't particularly love Lucic in a vacuum, tbh. A 28 year old, declining power forward with multiple recent down years who will be looking for 7M+.

Yeah 7 M+ is a hard no.

5.5 AAV X 5 I am good with. Kings unlikely to give term. Kings are probably offering something around a 3 year term. Players prefer a longer term.

With McDavid and Drai on ELCs, just front load the contract and pay more the first two years and less the last 2/3 years.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

A scoring line in the west needs speed to get into the offensize zone, size to make space and win puck battles, and handsand IQ to make plays. Lucic - McDavid - Eberle

I understand what Lucic brings but in a literal sense, Pouliot is both big and fast.

Not Hall fast.

And the point is moot for those hoping we trade Hall. Pouliot would have been moved at the deadline if he didn't get injured. Chances are pretty likely that he will be one of the wingers that is moved this offseason.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A scoring line in the west needs speed to get into the offensize zone, size to make space and win puck battles, and handsand IQ to make plays. Lucic - McDavid - Eberle

Not Hall fast.

And the point is moot for those hoping we trade Hall. Pouliot would have been moved at the deadline if he didn't get injured. Chances are pretty likely that he will be one of the wingers that is moved this offseason.

I agree that I think Pouliot is on the market this summer. But I'm not supporting the Lucic signing. He'll cost too much for too long. If all is well in the world, Chiarelli can parlay Yakupov and some prospects/picks into Rick Nash this summer and you have your size and speed and some penalty killing ability all rolled up into a nice goal-scoring veteran.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I agree that I think Pouliot is on the market this summer. But I'm not supporting the Lucic signing. He'll cost too much for too long. If all is well in the world, Chiarelli can parlay Yakupov and some prospects/picks into Rick Nash this summer and you have your size and speed and some penalty killing ability all rolled up into a nice goal-scoring veteran.
Lucic costs too much but the more expensive rick nash who needs to be traded for is a better option?

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
No one thinks that there is a silver bullet for deterring the Matt Cookes of the world. Guys like Lucic are pieces toward building a more physically resilient team in general. See how the winnipeg jets beat up the Oilers almost into submission the past few years, and you'll get the importance of guys like Lucic.

The Jets are a good example of this stuff doesn't really matter. They're a giant team, while with some pretty good players, they're only a bubble team and haven't even won a playoff game since returning to Winnipeg.

They apparently ran over the Oilers and they're still irrelevant. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa (excluding their Ents on defense) are all fairly small/non physical and it doesn't hinder them.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lucic costs too much but the more expensive rick nash who needs to be traded for is a better option?

For Yakupov? Yes.

Rick Nash is a UFA in two years. The same year McDavid needs to be re-signed.

Nash's $7.8m - Yakupov's $2.5m = $5.3m

You can even trade him to a contender at the 2018 deadline.

We should avoid long-term deals at forward until the defense is fixed.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yup. Lay a finger on 97 and it's ****ing war. Lucic would be a fan favourite here. We love our Semenkos and Laraques. Lucic also brings offense too and steady two way game.

I'd be fine with us getting Lucic as long as its in the 5.5-6x5 or 6 year territory, but I'm not sure where this steady two way game belief is coming from. He's not a great 2-way player by any means, he's average at best (that may even be generous), but I suppose he does provide good possession numbers which help keep the puck out of our end.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
And if that doesnt work we can wait 2 years or 3 years or 4 years. Or we can address the team now when a raee amount of top 6 forwards are available. What if we are shipping out 2 of Hall, Nuge and Ebs to fix the D? Tkachuk probably isnt ready next year.

I don't think we have to wait that long, someone could open up for the right price. If Hall, Nuge or Ebs are going out best believe we'll be getting very good pieces back, one of which might be a big bodied scorer.

I'm just not sold on Lucic being able to stay healthy enough, but you're right that the options are limited. Tkachuk (or whoever we draft) likely won't be ready and the org needs to get to a point where we don't rely on rookies.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

this. this times infinity

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
RHD to Oilers (only Oilers fans)

There have been multiple threads on the main page of the Trade Rumours board almost everyday regarding how the Edmonton Oilers are going to improve for next season. (Yeah I know, great add another.)

BUT almost all have been on the defensive... value based bickering most often than not. Hall only for a #1 D... McDavid has to be included for Karlsson or Pietro.... etc. Etc.

I'm interested in hearing Oiler fans proposals ONLY on the realistic options available to them. Barrie for the 4th is one - Eberle for Klein another... I'm sure there are more.

As for other fan bases I'd like to hear if ANY of those trades meet a NEEDS basis for your club.

I'd like to get a realistic set of expectations for this board before it all goes down. The Oilers rebuild had been a well documented event in the NHL and it's likely something is going to go down this offseason. I'd like to gauge the expected deals from the surprising deals that might ensure (players or value swings).

Please no value bickering or arguing unrealistic scenerios like the Oilers won't make any moves if they don't hit X value or taking advantage of the desperation we all know the Oilers franchise is in on the other side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad