Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV: Lucic willing to sign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

If we do end up offer sheeting Jones, what do we offer him? We can't go higher than 5.5 since we lose our second rounder next year because of the Chiarelli hire

The pick can be deferred to 2018 because of an nhlpa grievance.

yeah the expansion draft happening next year would have helped us i think... oh well i guess, can't do much about it (well, anything actually, lol)

without question, they would have had a top-10 defence in the league from day one, and the forwards would have been pretty much ALL marginal top-6 players... so while their top-line wouldn't have been world-beaters, their 3rd and 4th lines would have been fantastically good

no question in my mind that las vegas would be at least a playoff bubble team right off the hop, which is ridiculous IMO

If we want any hope of actually succeeding in our offer sheet, we have to sign him in the 7.3+ range. The one with the compensation being two 1sts, a 2nd, and 3rd.

Or else they will simply match it 100% no matter what their cap situation is.

This. IMO another Dman needs to be added to the protected list.

7.5 mil per year. Thats the line. Tough for Columbus to match, and once you go over 7.5 the compensation goes to 2 1sts.

Even if 7.5 is matched, that really screws the BJs

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So if current NMC's are just immune and don't count... Is that not ridiculously slanted toward the current elite teams and designed to completely bone up and comers like us, Toronto, Arizona and Buffalo?

LeBrun must mean they automatically take up a player slot. They can't just be 'immune'.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Regarding offer sheeting Seth Jones. Are we sure he'd be the guy we want to break the bank on? How confident are people that he's a sure fire good top pairing d-man?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Regarding offer sheeting Seth Jones. Are we sure he'd be the guy we want to break the bank on? How confident are people that he's a sure fire good top pairing d-man?

Not too many better options. Seems like he has size and ability to turn into next Hedman. I mean Hedman at same age was similarly as proven

Can break bank for Barrie, whos more proven. But is more of next Yandle or next Keith. Trouba I dont see as having offensive upside as Jones. Risto is good but nowhere close to as solid defensively as Jones.

Lindholm is only guy id have close to Jones in terms of going all out for.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
So if current NMC's are just immune and don't count... Is that not ridiculously slanted toward the current elite teams and designed to completely bone up and comers like us, Toronto, Arizona and Buffalo?

LeBrun must mean they automatically take up a player slot. They can't just be 'immune'.

Just toss Eriksson a NMC

I thought Benning rejigged Sutters contract to retroactively give him a NMC. If this rule were to be believed as true, whats stopping Chiarelli from changing Pouliots or anyone contract to putting in a NMC. Or whats stopping a GM from giving a NMC that starts in 2017 and ends in 2019?

Im not a contract guru but it seems a GM could really exploit that

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not too many better options. Seems like he has size and ability to turn into next Hedman. I mean Hedman at same age was similarly as proven

Can break bank for Barrie, whos more proven. But is more of next Yandle or next Keith. Trouba I dont see as having offensive upside as Jones. Risto is good but nowhere close to as solid defensively as Jones.

Lindholm is only guy id have close to Jones in terms of going all out for.

You underestimate how good Duncan Keith is, but point taken.

I think Barrie is basically what we hoped Justin Schultz would amount after we realized he was a dummy. 50 points, PP whiz, defensively inept.

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
So I kind of had a thought today and I thought I would share it. (Sorry if this has already been discussed)

With Tkachuk having such a great year capping it off with a great Memorial cup run, I think his stock has risen a bit.

I just realized that he is an American from Arizona as well. With the Coyotes holding the 7th Pick, I’m wondering if they would be highly motivated to move up to number 4 to draft Tkachuk.

So, what would people think of trading the 4th to the Coyotes for the 7th + Murphy? I know that sounds like an overpayment on the Coyotes part, so maybe we would have to add a decent piece as well, I’m just not sure who.

With the 7th I would shoot to draft either Juolevi or Chychrun. I haven’t seen that much of Chychrun other than highlights, but I was able to make it to a game at the memorial cup, and I thought Juolevi was the better prospect on London. (Max Jones looked great too, and if we could get him with our 32nd that would be a huge steal)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You underestimate how good Duncan Keith is, but point taken.

I think Barrie is basically what we hoped Justin Schultz would amount after we realized he was a dummy. 50 points, PP whiz, defensively inept.

I think I am, I was looking for a good comparable but I was drawing blanks. I think hell become a 50-60 pt offensive D whos defense is not terrible. Maybe Visnovsky is a better comparable

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think I am, I was looking for a good comparable but I was drawing blanks. I think hell become a 50-60 pt offensive D whos defense is not terrible. Maybe Visnovsky is a better comparable

:laugh:

Lubo was pretty good too from what I recall. Used to get a ton of Norris votes.

I think the best comparable I can think of is a young Mike Green.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So I kind of had a thought today and I thought I would share it. (Sorry if this has already been discussed)

With Tkachuk having such a great year capping it off with a great Memorial cup run, I think his stock has risen a bit.

I just realized that he is an American from Arizona as well. With the Coyotes holding the 7th Pick, I’m wondering if they would be highly motivated to move up to number 4 to draft Tkachuk.

So, what would people think of trading the 4th to the Coyotes for the 7th + Murphy? I know that sounds like an overpayment on the Coyotes part, so maybe we would have to add a decent piece as well, I’m just not sure who.

With the 7th I would shoot to draft either Juolevi or Chychrun. I haven’t seen that much of Chychrun other than highlights, but I was able to make it to a game at the memorial cup, and I thought Juolevi was the better prospect on London. (Max Jones looked great too, and if we could get him with our 32nd that would be a huge steal)

It has been discussed at lengths and the general consensus is that Murphy isn't the most exciting target if we're considering moving the 4th. Also there isn't a hope that Jones falls beyond the 1st round. I think if the 32nd pick is kept, the Oilers should probably use it to draft one of the 3rd tier of defensemen available in this draft (Johansen, Clague, Dineen, Girard, Hajek).

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
How does everyone feel about Polak for the bottom pairing?
Nurse and him can obviously put it behind them.
Nice, solid veteran.
Obviously not the answer, but his toughness could make a huge difference.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada

My thought about offer-sheeting Jones is why would Jarmo even risk the possibility of that happening? If they can't get a deal done by the deadline wouldn't they just set a team-elected arbitration date?

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

Sounds like an overpayment?

It's about a 7th and a 20th for a 4th overall, it's not horrible at all. Everyone was pimping out Brandon Gormley for season after season, and Murphy hasn't been blowing the socks off the water in any shape or form. If they want Tkachuk that badly, they can get him that badly.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How does everyone feel about Polak for the bottom pairing?
Nurse and him can obviously put it behind them.
Nice, solid veteran.
Obviously not the answer, but his toughness could make a huge difference.

Just re-up Gryba. Don't need spot picking turtlers like Polak on this team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My thought about offer-sheeting Jones is why would Jarmo even risk the possibility of that happening? If they can't get a deal done by the deadline wouldn't they just set a team-elected arbitration date?

Despite being an RFA, Jones isn't eligible for arbitration at this point of his career. Hasn't been a pro long enough.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

Except that Arizona had some nice young wingers and needs a solid young D. They are probably happy to stay at 7 and take a D.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

they will count and the player will have to be protected

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
The more I think about it the more I'm alright with trading down to 7. If Arizona is willing to give up their 1st along with the 7th for 4th, I think I make that trade. Arizona can take Tkachuk and we can take either Juolevi, Sergachev, or Brown. I'd try to trade up with the 20th pick and our 2nd to get Fabbro, or McAvoy.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
I'd easily trade #4 for 7 & 20 but doubt ARI would. They are into the analytics and the #s say the draft is a crapshoot for the most part (in most sports) so having more picks gives you a greater chance of finding/hitting on impact player

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Defensemen like Polak are a dying breed.

If you can't move the puck, you aren't an NHL defensemen anymore.

Far better options for the 3rd pairing, IMO.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Defensemen like Polak are a dying breed.

If you can't move the puck, you aren't an NHL defensemen anymore.

Far better options for the 3rd pairing, IMO.

Agreed. And why wouldn't we just sign Gryba. We need to be focusing on finding a top pairing D.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The more I think about it the more I'm alright with trading down to 7. If Arizona is willing to give up their 1st along with the 7th for 4th, I think I make that trade. Arizona can take Tkachuk and we can take either Juolevi, Sergachev, or Brown. I'd try to trade up with the 20th pick and our 2nd to get Fabbro, or McAvoy.

I'd easily trade #4 for 7 & 20 but doubt ARI would. They are into the analytics and the #s say the draft is a crapshoot for the most part (in most sports) so having more picks gives you a greater chance of finding/hitting on impact player

I would even do 4th + 62nd for 7th + 20th, but only if I knew 7th could be flipped for Vatanen or Barrie. Then I agree with Raab, package 20 + 32 to move up and take McAvoy (who I see as being similar to Petry, with better IQ and offensive instincts, but not as good of a skater).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad