Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV: Lucic willing to sign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We do not trade Nurse for Barrie that just feels completely counter productive. I would be hesitant to trade Reinhart.

We really don't know what we got with either yet and won't for at least two more years. Barrie is not a top pairing guy and unlikely to be one. Otherwise Colarado would just sign him for whatever it takes.

Either of those guys could end up much better.

Plus we have too much cap space in forwards at the moment.

Plus we have to think draft protection.

Plus keeping cap friendly guys should be a priority as well.

If we get Barrie I hope it's for established guys on sizeable contracts.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
yesterday, various media reported that the Avs are looking for defence and they want to get tougher defencemen. They may not be all that interested in RNH or the 4th overall pick.

I hate to do it but a deal around Nurse for Barrie + might make sense. With Klefbom and Sekera signed long term, Nurse is battling Davidson for 3rd pairing ice time. That is a waste of his talents as early as this year, for sure in the near future. At some point in the next two years, we will have to trade one of Davidson or Nurse.

Given that he is expansion draft safe, Nurse' value is much higher than it otherwhise would be. That is why added the + on Colorado's side. I am not sure how to balance value but Nurse and Barrie are logical starting points.

I'm a big fan of Barrie and would love to see him in an Oilers jersey, but I would not deal Nurse for him. I know Barrie is the better player right now and would have more of an impact on the team than Nurse at the moment, but this team really needs a true #1 Dman and Nurse probably has the best chance of developing into that within the organization above anyone else.

I've said it in other threads and I still believe the best chance of obtaining a #1 Dman is by drafting and developing one. Very rarely do we see a team trade away it's true #1 guy. Barrie is good but not on the same level as Pietrangelo, Hedman or Keith. We don't want to make the same mistake Montreal made when they traded away McDonagh in the Gomez deal and move our best shot of becoming one of the star players I mentioned for immediate help that could actually hurt us in the long run.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
We do not trade Nurse for Barrie that just feels completely counter productive. I would be hesitant to trade Reinhart.

We really don't know what we got with either yet and won't for at least two more years. Barrie is not a top pairing guy and unlikely to be one. Otherwise Colarado would just sign him for whatever it takes.

Either of those guys could end up much better.

Plus we have too much cap space in forwards at the moment.

Plus we have to think draft protection.

Plus keeping cap friendly guys should be a priority as well.

If we get Barrie I hope it's for established guys on sizeable contracts.

Reinhart is beyond useless - ill trade him for just about anything at this point.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
People saying on here Lucic for 3-4 yrs is not going to happen, and he is not taking less than 6 mil, Vancouver will offer him big bucks

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
for those who want to spend money--Elliot F is reporting next season cap could be 69mill

Next year's NHL salary cap is expected to remain "relatively flat," per Bill Daly.

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/737406367594651648

Friedman's actual comment on the cap

27. Daly told reporters the salary cap figure would be “relatively flat†for next season. (It’s at $71.4M now.)

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-matthew-tkachuks-draft-stock-gaining-momentum/

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
If it werent for the fact that we are in a win now mode, it be fun to look at an expansion draft tactic.

Nuge for 7th overall + 2nd rounder. Nurse/Eberle for Barrie/10th. Use the 2nd from Arizona and maybe a 3rd to move up from 10 to 8.

Leave the draft with Dubois, Sergachev and Nylander all expansion protected and ready for nhl in a year.

Sign some free agents to fill in the gaps and win under those guys in their ELC's.

I'm not advocating for this because I want to win now. Just a fun idea

With the crop of UFA forwards this year I have also thought about loading up at the draft and putting the team in a very good position post McDavid ELC.

Trading 3 of Eberle/RNH/Hall/Yak and one of Reinhart/Nurse for defense and a few more 1st rounders would set the team up very nicely as long as they could sign a few of Eriksson/Okposo/Lucic/Ladd/Backes/Brouwer/Nielssen/Weise

I'd want one of Dubois/Tkackuk/Puljujarvi, Sergachev, and McAvoy in a perfect world.

Birdperson

Mar 26, 2016
I'd easily move Nurse for Barrie. Reinhart, no question, but like the poster above I think he is generally useless.

Barrie is easily a top-4 guy, and might even be a top-pairing guy. He has the offense Nurse is unlikely to ever have and gives us a RHD that can play on the PP and is only 24.

When you have the left-handed defensemen depth the Oilers do, I'm comfortable moving Nurse for a RHD like Barrie. Plus potentially adding a LHD like Sergachev or Chychrun or Juolevi and it makes a lot of sense to think about moving a younger player like Nurse.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Would Buffalo bite on Yak, Reinhart, plus 32nd for their 8th overall?

Doubtful. I wouldn't do that. What's the point in trading Reinhart for another top 10 draft pick that is 3-5 years away from being an impact player?

I had a dream that the Oilers traded Nurse and the 4th for Girgensons, Bogosian and Pysyk. That's brutal.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
There's also talk that players with career ending injuries will be exempt

Even if not, Ference can retire at any point and his contract ends then. He's a good community guy and wants to have a place on the team after retirement. So he retires 1 day after the season and we're ok.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Doubtful. I wouldn't do that. What's the point in trading Reinhart for another top 10 draft pick that is 3-5 years away from being an impact player?

I had a dream that the Oilers traded Nurse and the 4th for Girgensons, Bogosian and Pysyk. That's brutal.
That's no dream son, that's a nightmare.

At 8, the Oilers could draft someone who could be impact player in as few as 1-2 years like Sergachev or Brown.

Reinhart and Yak- they may never be impact players unless they make great strides in their development.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

At 8, the Oilers could draft someone who could be impact player in as few as 1-2 years like Sergachev or Brown.

Reinhart and Yak- they may never be impact players unless they make great strides in their development.

Yeah it was awful.

I suppose that's probably true. I'm not super up on the knowledge of this year's draft.

I like Reinhart. Under the assumption that he plays in the AHL next season and ends up staying expansion protected. He could still develop into a beast of a player.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

So why would Buffalo do it?

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
If they don't use the escalator.

They usually do so it's looking like $72.8m.

I would be a little surprised if the players escalated the cap in an environment of low growth. Escalating the cap doesn't change how much money is actually paid to the players, it simply changes the amount of escrow. If they escalate the cap it benefits UFA's whose salaries have risen at the expense of all the other players.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I would be a little surprised if the players escalated the cap in an environment of low growth. Escalating the cap doesn't change how much money is actually paid to the players, it simply changes the amount of escrow. If they escalate the cap it benefits UFA's whose salaries have risen at the expense of all the other players.

More cap means a better chance at a job. If they drop the cap, the (out of work) players suffer. Buyouts occur and teams are less inclined to spend at the FA market.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
More cap means a better chance at a job. If they drop the cap, the (out of work) players suffer. Buyouts occur and teams are less inclined to spend at the FA market.

I get that but what if u look at it from a different point of view.

Most teams don't even spend to the cap, have a internal budget, why should I as a player pay back so those teams can make more money, not my fellow players, I would say no

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton

Im guessing at at this number, but if 25% of players are FA's they are the ones that benefit from an escalating cap. The remaining 75% of the players are hurt by the increasing salaries of the 25% because the percentage of escrow will increase for every player. In other words, 75% of players are taking a paycut so that 25% of players get a pay raise. In the past as revenues uncreased quickly it made sense to use the escalator, but in a flat to lower revenue environment, it is a more difficult decision.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Would Sekera waive his NMC for Montreal? I think the Habs might be very hot for Dubois. How much more would you have to add to Sekera and Dubois for Subban?

Maybe something like Sekera, Dubois, Yakupov for Subban

Hall and Reinhart for McDonaugh and Nash

RNH or Eberle for a 2nd pair RHD + (maybe RNH for Savard and Atkinson/Foligno)

McDonaugh Subban
Klefbom Savard
Davidson

Top 5 defense in the league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad