Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread Part IV: Lucic willing to sign here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
in a vaccuum, this is 100% correct.In the Oilers' reality, it is wrong.

With Leon and McD, we have already replaced much of RNH's contribution. Having an elite 3rd line center is nice but not necessary. Have a competant defence is necessary.

We can trade RNH for Barrie / Falk etc and replace him with a decent 3rd line center. Even Dubois / Letestu might be an adequate bottom 2 center combination.

When Eberle played with McD, his goals / 60 minutes was 2nd in the league to Ovy. That is not easy to replace. Hall drives a line regardless of who he plays with. That is not easy to replace.
You can't start the season with basically 2 sophomores. Drai wasn't that good at the World Hockey Championships. The team would take a step backwards if you trade RNH and are left with Drai and McDavid. Drai isn't ready to be a #2 centre yet and the team needs RNH or they'll finish in 30 if they trade RNH.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
The Jets are a good example of this stuff doesn't really matter. They're a giant team, while with some pretty good players, they're only a bubble team and haven't even won a playoff game since returning to Winnipeg.

They apparently ran over the Oilers and they're still irrelevant. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa (excluding their Ents on defense) are all fairly small/non physical and it doesn't hinder them.
Good post all you need is balance speed grit offence. Maroon pretty much is a Lucic Pouliot Hall bring speed. Hendricks brings grit as well as Kassian . Lucic at this time is a waste of cap space. This teams nedds to address defence 1st and I don't see why Chia has to gut the core to do it we have a strong left side one good puck moving D and Demers would be perfect.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You can't start the season with basically 2 sophomores. Drai wasn't that good at the World Hockey Championships. The team would take a step backwards if you trade RNH and are left with Drai and McDavid. Drai isn't ready to be a #2 centre yet and the team needs RNH or they'll finish in 30 iof they trade RNH.

you are right, but imo that's still a luxury. My issue here is that I believe that if an ideal D candidate will become available this summer, the team trading that D will be wanting a young center who is somewhat established.

So sure, we can aim to keep RNH, just like we probably will aim to keep Eberle, but I believe that after talking to different teams it might not come down to our own preference. Chiarelli is a good GM but I doubt he's so good that he can get a team to settle for a trade that goes against their own interest. Then the question is do we keep RNH as a back up plan at center, or do we lose that luxury in order to upgrade our defense in a more meaningful way? (if RNH truly is that player that the other team insists on)

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
The Oilers need defense desperately, every fan and every GM knows this. Here's what's going to happen:

Chia will trade one of the 4th OA, RNH, Hall or maybe even two of those for a younger 3rd D. When it goes down there will be bedlam with the Oiler fanbase, much screaming and cursing about what a bad deal it is. Within 10 minutes that ridiculous homer radio guy for the Oilers will come out with some obscure stat that proves this deal is good for the Oilers. Within 1/2 hour the entire Oiler fanbase will circle the wagons and argue vociferously how it's a great deal and will continue to argue forever.

In reality, Chia will probably have made a good trade for a solid defenseman but it won't be near the caliber argued now by Oiler fan. I mean really, we're hearing how Klefbom and Davidson are top 4 D, they're not much and have not even played 2 seasons between them.

Everyone is weary of Oiler trades.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The Jets are a good example of this stuff doesn't really matter. They're a giant team, while with some pretty good players, they're only a bubble team and haven't even won a playoff game since returning to Winnipeg.

They apparently ran over the Oilers and they're still irrelevant. Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa (excluding their Ents on defense) are all fairly small/non physical and it doesn't hinder them.

The Jets are a midrange goalie away from a deep playoff run.

It's interesting how the pendulum swing between cup winners creates different perspectives of what a good team makeup amounts to. One year it's speed, the next it's grit; one year it's offense, the next it's defense. I should think that a good gm builds a team with a number of factors in mind, proactively, rather than chase the new trend. Lucic is not slow and would contribute to a general toughening up of the team while keeping its overall speed high. I would imagine, though, that if the Oilers sign him, then Pouliot would have to go. Easy peasy.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd have no problem with Lucic at 5 ish for about 5-6 years. If he'd take 5.5 for 5 years or even 6 for 5 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The Jets are a midrange goalie away from a deep playoff run.

It's interesting how the pendulum swing between cup winners creates different perspectives of what a good team makeup amounts to. One year it's speed, the next it's grit; one year it's offense, the next it's defense. I should think that a good gm builds a team with a number of factors in mind, proactively, rather than chase the new trend. Lucic is not slow and would contribute to a general toughening up of the team while keeping its overall speed high. I would imagine, though, that if the Oilers sign him, then Pouliot would have to go. Easy peasy.
Yep its flavour of the year every year. It's hilarious on here.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
The Oilers need defense desperately, every fan and every GM knows this. Here's what's going to happen:

Chia will trade one of the 4th OA, RNH, Hall or maybe even two of those for a younger 3rd D. When it goes down there will be bedlam with the Oiler fanbase, much screaming and cursing about what a bad deal it is. Within 10 minutes that ridiculous homer radio guy for the Oilers will come out with some obscure stat that proves this deal is good for the Oilers. Within 1/2 hour the entire Oiler fanbase will circle the wagons and argue vociferously how it's a great deal and will continue to argue forever.

In reality, Chia will probably have made a good trade for a solid defenseman but it won't be near the caliber argued now by Oiler fan. I mean really, we're hearing how Klefbom and Davidson are top 4 D, they're not much and have not even played 2 seasons between them.

Everyone is weary of Oiler trades.

Anyone who actually watched the Oilers last year knows they are a better team then their record suggests and are going in the right direction, they we're absolutely decimated by injury and it was the difference between being a bubble team and being bottom 5.

They won't trade RNH or Hall unless they can get a very very good defenseman but Chia will make a trade or two using Eberle and or the 4th overall to add a good top 4 defenseman and then possibly add a guy like Demers in free agency. The league will take it from there because uncle Gary realizes that McDavid and the Oilers are too great of a marketing/money making opportunity to have them sit in the basement.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Interesting that Elliott mentions Colorado and Arizona as teams looking for defense.

Pretty clear the Avs want a D but don't feel Barrie is worth the money. They want Trouba apparently.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Interesting that Elliott mentions Colorado and Arizona as teams looking for defense.

Pretty clear the Avs want a D but don't feel Barrie is worth the money. They want Trouba apparently.

That would be smart of them imo. Barrie is a solid top four guy who can run a pp. Trouba is a pillar. His ceiling is to be like Pietrangelo. He's young enough for that to be a reasonable prediction.

I would hope that since we're not in the central that if Trouba were available we could get him ahead of Colorado

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That would be smart of them imo. Barrie is a solid top four guy who can run a pp. Trouba is a pillar. His ceiling is to be like Pietrangelo. He's young enough for that to be a reasonable prediction.

I would hope that since we're not in the central that if Trouba were available we could get him ahead of Colorado

Trouba would probably cost us Nurse and then there's the contract negotiations...

Not saying that would be bad, but it's costly.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Trouba would probably cost us Nurse and then there's the contract negotiations...

Not saying that would be bad, but it's costly.

I'd add to Nurse for Trouba, I'm a big fan of him.
The money part worries me.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
I agree the 4oa for Barrie is too steep unless the 10 OA is coming back. He's good but he's unsigned and clearly a #4 with PP bonus. That 4th is way more valuable then I think we as a collective group give it credit for.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
What a ****ing joke. Ebs should be the first to go. Ebs is getting overrated big time while RNH and Hall are getting underrated big time.

I don't think Hall goes period, seems highly unlikely. Eberle I understand gets crapped in because of his two way play but the kid is money in the bank for IQ and scoring. He is a perfect fit for McDavid and we are baron I. The right side with out him. Rnh seems like the most dispensable due to Dra but like most feel another year of his services would both do wonders for his value, and Dra in terms of protection from tough minutes.
For me Yak, Pouliot, And move ference, Korpi and I think we have adequate money and there is value there too.

Not for he elusive #1 D but that's not out there this year anyway, next years UFA and RFA pool is much more interesting.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
What a ****ing joke. Ebs should be the first to go. Ebs is getting overrated big time while RNH and Hall are getting underrated big time.

or maybe the issue is what the other team wants. Assuming Ebs is a bad player for us (which I don't but whatever), what kind of team will give us a top pairing or even 2nd pairing Dman for him?

There's also no point in shipping out Eberle if we have to accept some crap return for him. He is a right shot sniper, two qualities we are short of.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I would be interested in Vatanen he impressed me in the playoffs
With the rumours of the deadline deal of Pouliot and Yak for a dman I just can't see these two not making a deal. ANA wants to move a dman and EDM needs dmen.

A pairing of Klefbom and Vatanen I would like

doubledown99

May 21, 2009

Ebs isn't getting overrated. Stauffer said the team would rather move Ebs but his value isn't high and he's not commanding a return the team deems equal value so instead of making a bad move just for the sake of it they are looking at other options like Nuge and Hall to fill team needs. Go to the Oilers website for more context. They also have an interview from the combine with Chia, Stauffer and Micheals there. To listen to the Ebs stuff it was on Oilers Now just go to the archived podcasts

For those wanting Looch...here is. A breakdown arguing against adding him to the Oilers:

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...-would-see-milan-lucic-re-sign-with-the-kings

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone who actually watched the Oilers last year knows they are a better team then their record suggests and are going in the right direction, they we're absolutely decimated by injury and it was the difference between being a bubble team and being bottom 5.

They won't trade RNH or Hall unless they can get a very very good defenseman but Chia will make a trade or two using Eberle and or the 4th overall to add a good top 4 defenseman and then possibly add a guy like Demers in free agency. The league will take it from there because uncle Gary realizes that McDavid and the Oilers are too great of a marketing/money making opportunity to have them sit in the basement.

Nailed it. Chiarelli isn't an idiot.

I'm fine overpaying and losing a trade if it gets us exactly what we want. Overpaying, and not getting exactly what we need - something like RNH for Brodin - is fire worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad