Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Our Offseason Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Makes me wonder, Re: Avs, do they make a move Duchene to STL for Shattenkirk (all of this is more or less), then they might be looking to do Barrie for Nuge.

I'm not saying it's likely or even balanced, but I could see this kind of chain of events in the offseason.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Why are people putting Davidson on our 3rd pairing? There were mumors that if he was healthy he would be in the running for the world championships. He was the best defenceman we've had since Whitney. Unless he regresses significantly heading into next year for some reason, he is a top 4 guy even on playoff teams. Honestly I think you can pair him with a Hamonic or Barrie or Pietrangelo (please) and he will play out of his mind. I was so impressed with him as the year went on. He was depended upon to be the guy and played #1 minutes for a lot of the games before his injury. He was handling it and looking good doing it. He is a far better player than Sekera and will only improve while Sekera regresses with age.

Davidson hasn't proven a thing and no, he's not far better than Sekera. That's silly talk.

You see Davidson type Dmen all the time in the league where they have a solid stretch of games in their rookie season then regress back to the mean. Hell, the Oilers have had a bunch of those guys in recent years. Not saying that Davidson will be one of those guys but you can't depend on him returning to that top form he was showing and sustain it in a top 4 tough minutes role. If Chia makes the appropriate moves, Davidson ideally starts the season on the 3rd pairing. Any higher and the Oilers have problems.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Ideally you come in on D with 3 of our guys each anchoring a pairing:

Sekera
Klefbom
Davidson

With Darnell Nurse, Griffin Reinhart and Oesterle fighting for 7/8 spots. There will be injuries.

That means getting 3 new RHD that can play.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Hall Draisaitl McGinn
Maroon McDavid Pouliot
(Brad) Richards Bailey Kassian
Korpikoski Letestu Hendricks
Khaira, Pakarinen etc

Campbell Burns
Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Davidson
Reinhart

Talbot
Montoya

Just decided to flip the roster to being D heavy and ship out valuable parts. This is working off of the assumption that the first round pick, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Nurse were traded.

Would you?
I can't decide.

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton

Sekera
Klefbom
Davidson

With Darnell Nurse, Griffin Reinhart and Oesterle fighting for 7/8 spots. There will be injuries.

Based on Chia's comments, it's sounds like he may bring back Gryba for bottom pairing RHD, which I'm good with.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

Sekera
Klefbom
Davidson

I'd say keep Gryba and roll with a Davidson-Gryba bottom pairing. Find two top 4 RH defenseman.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Based on Chia's comments, it's sounds like he may bring back Gryba for bottom pairing RHD, which I'm good with.

I don't think Gryba is very good, but I do understand Chiarelli and majority of the fanbase likes him.

If they keep him, I'd prefer him as No.7 D-man that can provide depth. Means 2/3 of Nurse/Reinhart/Oesterle goes to the minors.

I don't think Gryba is good enough of an NHL D-man to really help you win a cup. Physical, but zero puck-moving or breakout ability and takes too many dumb penalties.

Klefbom-BLANK
Sekera-BLANK
Davidson-BLANK
Nurse/Gryba

Reinhart and Oesterle starts in the AHL. If you want Nurse to really develop, throw him in the AHL and call up Oesterle.

Aim high guys.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hall Draisaitl McGinn
Maroon McDavid Pouliot
(Brad) Richards Bailey Kassian
Korpikoski Letestu Hendricks
Khaira, Pakarinen etc

Campbell Burns
Klefbom Hamonic
Sekera Davidson
Reinhart

Talbot
Montoya

Just decided to flip the roster to being D heavy and ship out valuable parts. This is working off of the assumption that the first round pick, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov and Nurse were traded.

Would you?
I can't decide.

I can't figure out your trades.

something like 1st + Yak for Hamonic and Bailey - okay, sure...

But the rest...? You didn't move Eberle and RNH AND Nurse for one year of Burns, did you? Campbell and McGinn are free agents...

Also Bailey hasn't played centre regularly in years. He's primarily a LW now.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Davidson hasn't proven a thing and no, he's not far better than Sekera. That's silly talk.

You see Davidson type Dmen all the time in the league where they have a solid stretch of games in their rookie season then regress back to the mean. Hell, the Oilers have had a bunch of those guys in recent years. Not saying that Davidson will be one of those guys but you can't depend on him returning to that top form he was showing and sustain it in a top 4 tough minutes role. If Chia makes the appropriate moves, Davidson ideally starts the season on the 3rd pairing. Any higher and the Oilers have problems.

I think he is a better bet than normal to be a player. His development has been pretty consistent and unlike offensive defensemen who can have a hot streak and then fall back, a guy who plays a pretty basic all round game like Davidson has a decent chance of continuing to progress.

If The Oilers add two solid defensemen then he probably starts on the third pairing if Klefbom is healthy. But really that's a good thing. It means the team has depth to actually compete. If they add too solid defenders and Davidson still earns a more significant role than that is even better.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Like maybe....

Eberle for Hamonic
Fayne + FLA 3rd for the rights to Demers and Goligoski (if DAL chooses to re-sign Kris Russell and can't afford the other 2)

Klefbom-Hamonic
Goligoski-Sekera
Davidson-Demers
Nurse/Gryba

If you're worried about future space for our younger D-men, remember: We always see injuries and the expansion draft is coming.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Sekera
Klefbom
Davidson

That's how I see it as well...

Klefbom-XXX (shut down, 2 way guy)
Sekera-XXX (puckmover)
Davidson-Gryba

Nurse, Reinhart, Oesterle etc. battling for bottom pairing spots.
However, I'm afraid that Nurse gets handed a spot based on pedigree. Hope I'm wrong about that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Like maybe....

Eberle for Hamonic
Fayne + FLA 3rd for the rights to Demers and Goligoski (if DAL chooses to re-sign Kris Russell and can't afford the other 2)

Klefbom-Hamonic
Goligoski-Sekera
Davidson-Demers
Nurse/Gryba

If you're worried about future space for our younger D-men, remember: We always see injuries and the expansion draft is coming.

I can't imagine Jim Nill is that dumb, but I never thought he would have given up so much for 'Defensive resume: Blocks Shots, That is All' Kris Russell, either.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's how I see it as well...

Klefbom-XXX (shut down, 2 way guy)
Sekera-XXX (puckmover)
Davidson-Gryba

Nurse, Reinhart, Oesterle etc. battling for bottom pairing spots.
However, I'm afraid that Nurse gets handed a spot based on pedigree. Hope I'm wrong about that.

I'm 100% fine with Davidson, Nurse, and Gryba as our 5-6-7 D. Unless the plan is to have Nurse in the AHL working on the offensive side of the game, I'm not sure what the benefit would be to him by starting there. I honestly think he looked much better the last 30 games or so - seemed to be figuring it out, and his CF% increased by nearly 4% over that period - it was at 41% or so after the first half, and he finished the year at 45.5%.

The #7 spot should be Gryba or Pardy or some other vet that won't have his development de-railed by not playing every night.

Hoping and praying Klefbom's good to go, though. If we don't get 60+ games out of him next season we'll be drafting top 10 again.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I can't imagine Jim Nill is that dumb, but I never thought he would have given up so much for 'Defensive resume: Blocks Shots, That is All' Kris Russell, either.

Well from a Dallas perspective:

They could go out and sign Keith Yandle to replace Goligoski.

They could also re-sign Russell and then they still have Stephen Johns who is playing top 4 minutes in the playoffs ahead of Demers.

So that could leave Goligoski and Demers expendable.

I think Nill would be dumb to do that.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I've been pondering the backup goalie situation the last few days. I've mentioned him before, but what a trade for about Neuvirth? He only has one more season at $1.625 million. This opens the door for Philly to go after one of Reimer or Andersen as both are after #1 roles. I want no part of Steve Mason; I'm surprised they waited until they were down 3-0 to give Neuvirth a start.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'm 100% fine with Davidson, Nurse, and Gryba as our 5-6-7 D. Unless the plan is to have Nurse in the AHL working on the offensive side of the game, I'm not sure what the benefit would be to him by starting there. I honestly think he looked much better the last 30 games or so - seemed to be figuring it out, and his CF% increased by nearly 4% over that period - it was at 41% or so after the first half, and he finished the year at 45.5%.

The #7 spot should be Gryba or Pardy or some other vet that won't have his development de-railed by not playing every night.

Hoping and praying Klefbom's good to go, though. If we don't get 60+ games out of him next season we'll be drafting top 10 again.

I think Nurse is NHL caliber, but I want him to earn a spot. Looking at the current depth chart and proven ability, I place him 4th maybe 5th on the LHD depth chart (behind Oesterle arguably, maybe even Reinhart) until he proves his worth. If Chia brings in two top 4 RHD, that's some very strong competition that he's coming up against. If he jumps into the top 6, it should be earned and not on the merit of him being former #7 overall prized prospect.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
There's just no way Nurse isn't on the team and doesn't flourish with legitimate defensive support. It's gobsmacking that people sell him short, seemingly because they can't comprehend that a 21-year-old Nurse struggled to play the most minutes of any rookie defensemen in the nhl on the league's second worst team. What a shocker. If the Oilers solidify their top pairing, then Nurse will be a legitimate 2nd paring Defenseman by mid-way next season. I mean, haven't we learned anything as Oilers observers? Highly talented young players will struggle without support.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I can't figure out your trades.

something like 1st + Yak for Hamonic and Bailey - okay, sure...

But the rest...? You didn't move Eberle and RNH AND Nurse for one year of Burns, did you? Campbell and McGinn are free agents...

Also Bailey hasn't played centre regularly in years. He's primarily a LW now.

None of them were solid trades per se. Definitely not that much towards Burns.
More of a commentary on the primary thought process of switching the focus to D. Cause moving that many pieces can get us a few better forwards.
If we ship everything out then we've gotta rely on free agents. Which makes our top six look iffy.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
There's just no way Nurse isn't on the team and doesn't flourish with legitimate defensive support. It's gobsmacking that people sell him short, seemingly because they can't comprehend that a 21-year-old Nurse struggled to play the most minutes of any rookie defensemen in the nhl on the league's second worst team. What a shocker. If the Oilers solidify their top pairing, then Nurse will be a legitimate 2nd paring Defenseman by mid-way next season. I mean, haven't we learned anything as Oilers observers? Highly talented young players will struggle without support.

Haven't we learned anything about development?

If Nurse really struggled to play the most minutes as a rookie, then you have to scale him down and let him ease his way into getting more.

The Oilers have constantly just thrown players into the fire and it's ruined some of their potentials. I'd love to see Nurse play 25 minutes a night in Bakersfield or play lower quality minutes with a capable D-man (not named Gryba or Davidson, he struggled with both).

Top 4? You have to earn it. Brandon Davidson earned a spot with good play. Klefbom even as well. We need to develop our D more like we developed Davidson.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I don't think there's much debate on whether Nurse is NHL caliber, but more so where's the best place and situation for a still raw 21 year old defenceman.

He's shown he can walk at the NHL level, but it's not like he was running circles. Let him go be the big fish in a small pond for a bit, it's not like its beneath him. There's unpolished offencive ability there, and getting big minutes (especially PP time) in the Bakersfield is going to be his best chance to develop that.

Plus injuries happen, and I'd rather have Nurse drawing in on the 3rd pairing after someone went down vs. him stepping into the top 4 after 1 of them went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad