Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In a package for a 2/3 C. If you want present and future value put together a good package for RNH, who helps the Jets next season and could still be traded for a package of picks and prospects after next season. Or, you could trade for a player like Brassard or Lee and just focus on next season.

I don't think Myers would be the main piece in acquiring a good mid 6 C. I'd be happy to be wrong but I think he is being a little overvalued here lately.

We can't afford RNH or Brassard beyond next year. While it might be a good move for 1 year it is still shortsighted - although flipping RNH could work. I don't know why Lee's name has been brought up. Not a need and not available.

I think the best strategy is to continue to draft and develop. That is what got us to this point and it is what will keep us in contention long term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not buying into this idea of running Myers out of town. I don't know if there is a single team in the league who has a better #3 RHD, who can move up the lineup as needed. Without Myers around this season we would have been severely pressed with Trouba being out for 8 weeks. What is our RHD depth behind Poolman? It is non existent. Yes he is a bit over paid but he is in his final year and we can manage the cap without losing him. He just might be a guy who then agrees to a lesser salary in future years and settles into a comfortable role with the Jets.

I agree that we have little behind Poolman but I don't see any chance of Myers accepting a 3rd pair level salary. We can't pay 5 mil + to every player. If we keep Myers it is only for 1 more year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree that we have little behind Poolman but I don't see any chance of Myers accepting a 3rd pair level salary. We can't pay 5 mil + to every player. If we keep Myers it is only for 1 more year.

It's definitely just for this coming year but that's okay cause we can't afford him after that. One more run at the Cup with him and he can go get that big deal from another team.

Only way I'd consider dealing him is if it is to bring in a center.

Reactions: GNP

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Besides
The emergence of forward depth
Helly coming out party.

Jets strength at RD 1,2,3

Helped the team reached 2nd overall team in standings.
Besides Buff he is the only Dman that can consistantly put points on the board.

Jets immediate need is a middle C.
Then a LD
Behind Morrissey and Above kulikov.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If Myers can be moved for another 2C with comparable or less AAV id be all for that. However, if his contract fits, he makes the Jets better.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That Kane contract...oh boy. I mean Kane is good for 25 to 30 goals a year but he pretty much plays a solo game. This was his first year above 50 points as well.

Reactions: Hunter368

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Kane’s deal certainly appears to be an overpay.

Don’t like the impact it will have on salaries of players (specifically wingers) who are better and deserve more than him. Are they $8+ million players now?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kane’s deal certainly appears to be an overpay.

Don’t like the impact it will have on salaries of players (specifically wingers) who are better and deserve more than him. Are they $8+ million players now?

Well it was a straight up UFA deal so not really comparable to our guys but its still awful.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I agree. If the Jets extend Trouba for the medium to long term, then the Jets absolutely can't afford to keep Myers beyond next season, even if they want to. They are loyal and sentimental, but they know that Trouba is much more valuable as a mainstay on D and they'll act accordingly, I believe. The only question is whether they trade Myers before next season, or keep him for another run and then let his contract expire. My preference would be to move Myers this summer for a good 2/3 C, and let Poolman take over at #3 RD. The Jets would still need to get another cheap depth D to play behind Poolman. Morrow might fit the bill, since he or Kulikov can likely switch over to RD if needed.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Jets keep Myers next season for another run, and use the regular season to see what they can put together at C with a combination of Little, Lowry, Copp, Petan and Roslovic. If it's not working out, I think they'll make an in-season trade to shore up C. I would think that it might be a "hockey trade", rather than another rental by shipping out good picks / prospects. I highly doubt that Chevy will mortgage more of his future next season.

Reactions: Jack722

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's definitely just for this coming year but that's okay cause we can't afford him after that. One more run at the Cup with him and he can go get that big deal from another team.

Only way I'd consider dealing him is if it is to bring in a center.

I get that, but I don't think he is much better than Poolman. Poolman doesn't have his scoring but is better defensively. Depth could be an issue.

It would depend on the return for me. We need a 1st to keep charging the pipeline but if he would only return a 2nd or a weak prospect, I'd probably keep him.

I still don't like rentals, even our own rentals. I think it is short-sighted. We picked up a great rental this year to add to a strong roster, but we still aren't going to the dance.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I'm also in the move Myers for a 2018 1st or prospect RHD camp. Assuming that Trouba signs long term and Stasney is open to a 1 year deal to try and win a cup with this group.

I think Trouba, Buff, Poolman is respectable on RD with Chiarot/Morrow moving over to play on their off side in the case of injuries.

Then next season I'd run:

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Stasney Laine - Because neither Ehlers or Laine forcheck and turn pucks over.
Perrault Roslovic Little
Copp Lowry Armia
Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Niku Poolman
Chiarot Morrow

Helle
Mason

Meaning that Dano and Petan are also moved out with Myers or else their lost to waivers/playing in Europe.

Allowing Roslovic to try to cut his teeth at 3C with 2 strong defensive players in Perrault and Little should help insulate the defensive side of things. Hopefully the following year he's ready to slide into 2C when Stasney walks (as a Cup Champion... ahem) and Little can move back to 3C and we break in Vesalainen on the 3rd line.

Then there's an expansion draft where we protect Ehlers, Scheif, Connor, Laine, Roslovic, Lowry, Wheeler (who signs an extension) then Morrissey, Trouba, Poolman(?) exposing players like Little, Buff, Perrault, Copp, etc.

Buff will have one year left on his deal at that point so I could see an expansion team taking him to trade him at the deadline. Which is why it's import to get a Buff replacement by trading Myers now. In 2 seasons we need them to be ready to step in and play at least 3rd pair (if Poolman can handle 2nd pair by then.)

Reactions: Larabee and Saintb

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I agree. If the Jets extend Trouba for the medium to long term, then the Jets absolutely can't afford to keep Myers beyond next season, even if they want to. They are loyal and sentimental, but they know that Trouba is much more valuable as a mainstay on D and they'll act accordingly, I believe. The only question is whether they trade Myers before next season, or keep him for another run and then let his contract expire. My preference would be to move Myers this summer for a good 2/3 C, and let Poolman take over at #3 RD. The Jets would still need to get another cheap depth D to play behind Poolman. Morrow might fit the bill, since he or Kulikov can likely switch over to RD if needed.

If I had to guess, I would say that the Jets keep Myers next season for another run, and use the regular season to see what they can put together at C with a combination of Little, Lowry, Copp, Petan and Roslovic. If it's not working out, I think they'll make an in-season trade to shore up C. I would think that it might be a "hockey trade", rather than another rental by shipping out good picks / prospects. I highly doubt that Chevy will mortgage more of his future next season.

I doubt Myers gets us a decent 2/3C. I'd be all over that if it was possible.

I prefer to sell high on him. He had a very good season. Maybe the last best season he has in him. The solution is to pick up a cheap depth RHD after he's gone.

I love Myers at 3RD but I think he is a luxury we can't afford.

I'm a little concerned about Kulikov. If he isn't able to bounce back we have a big hole on the left side. His contract isn't moveable either. I don't like the idea of Morrissey, Chiarot, Niku as our LD. But keeping Myers doesn't help that.

Niku hasn't even made the NHL yet and if he does he will be a rookie needing a sheltered 3rd pair role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm also in the move Myers for a 2018 1st or prospect RHD camp. Assuming that Trouba signs long term and Stasney is open to a 1 year deal to try and win a cup with this group.

I think Trouba, Buff, Poolman is respectable on RD with Chiarot/Morrow moving over to play on their off side in the case of injuries.

Then next season I'd run:

Ehlers Scheif Wheeler
Connor Stasney Laine - Because neither Ehlers or Laine forcheck and turn pucks over.
Perrault Roslovic Little
Copp Lowry Armia
Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Kulikov Buff
Niku Poolman
Chiarot Morrow

Helle
Mason

Meaning that Dano and Petan are also moved out with Myers or else their lost to waivers/playing in Europe.

Allowing Roslovic to try to cut his teeth at 3C with 2 strong defensive players in Perrault and Little should help insulate the defensive side of things. Hopefully the following year he's ready to slide into 2C when Stasney walks (as a Cup Champion... ahem) and Little can move back to 3C and we break in Vesalainen on the 3rd line.

Then there's an expansion draft where we protect Ehlers, Scheif, Connor, Laine, Roslovic, Lowry, Wheeler (who signs an extension) then Morrissey, Trouba, Poolman(?) exposing players like Little, Buff, Perrault, Copp, etc.

Buff will have one year left on his deal at that point so I could see an expansion team taking him to trade him at the deadline. Which is why it's import to get a Buff replacement by trading Myers now. In 2 seasons we need them to be ready to step in and play at least 3rd pair (if Poolman can handle 2nd pair by then.)

I think the chances of Stastny signing a 1 year NHL contract are not much better than the chances of me getting a 1 year NHL contract. (Does the NHL have a maximum age? :laugh: ) Seriously, he might bend a little to stay with a contender but I don't think there is any chance of that extending to a 1 year deal. He would be risking far too much.

Poolman turns 25 in a couple of weeks. He doesn't have a lot of potential to improve. I'll be happy if he is a good 3RD.

I agree that we need to keep stocking the system though.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Can't see why we want to get rid of any of our D next year unless something good comes along and changes our plans.

Poolman is looking decent so far but no way I would want to trade away Myers to open up a spot for him. Not when we dont have to. I'd be okay dealing him to get us a long term center but other than that not worth it getting rid of him for a meh first.

Enstrom is gone, he has to be. We still have Kulikov, Chiarot, Morrow and then Niku pushing for a spot. With Myers still around and Poolman in press box none of these guys need to play their off side either.

Reactions: GNP

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can't see why we want to get rid of any of our D next year unless something good comes along and changes our plans.

Poolman is looking decent so far but no way I would want to trade away Myers to open up a spot for him. Not when we dont have to. I'd be okay dealing him to get us a long term center but other than that not worth it getting rid of him for a meh first.

Enstrom is gone, he has to be. We still have Kulikov, Chiarot, Morrow and then Niku pushing for a spot. With Myers still around and Poolman in press box none of these guys need to play their off side either.

Agreed....only reason to trade Myers is if you have another option to use his cap space at 2C. I'm hoping we do trade him and get a 2C.......can't stand watching Laine/Little/Ehlers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
not sure if this has been brought up but assuming an 80M cap Kanes deal is the exact same % of cap hit as hist Jets deal..unless it goes against the old cap of 75m

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'd like to move Myers for prospect draft picks and keep Stastny. Even if we don't keep Stastny as I am worried that our prospect draft tap running dry.

I'd trade Myers to Detroit who could use a leader to mentor Joe Hicketts. For Vegas's 1st and Hronek.

Stastny hopefully takes 1 year $5 million. Bring Morrow back at $1.25 million.

Ehlers increase offsets Enstrom leaving.

Raises are definitely in order for Morrissey, Trouba and Hellebuyck. At least $12 million I think.

Lowry breaks $2 million per annum.

Where does the money come from though?

Trade Kulikov, trade or buyout Mason? Trade Armia? And $5 million increase in cap? Filled by Poolman, Comrie, the likes of Petan and DeLeo? Still not enough to get under but along the path I'd like to see.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd trade Myers to Detroit who could use a leader to mentor Joe Hicketts. For Vegas's 1st and Hronek.

Stastny hopefully takes 1 year $5 million. Bring Morrow back at $1.25 million.

Ehlers increase offsets Enstrom leaving.

Raises are definitely in order for Morrissey, Trouba and Hellebuyck. At least $12 million I think.

Lowry breaks $2 million per annum.

Where does the money come from though?

Trade Kulikov, trade or buyout Mason? Trade Armia? And $5 million increase in cap? Filled by Poolman, Comrie, the likes of Petan and DeLeo? Still not enough to get under but along the path I'd like to see.
as a Detroit (and WPG fan) I don't touch that deal lol. Detroit's cap is f***ed don't know if they can even fit Myers if they wanted

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed....only reason to trade Myers is if you have another option to use his cap space at 2C. I'm hoping we do trade him and get a 2C.......can't stand watching Laine/Little/Ehlers.

Little just isn't quite capable of doing all the heavy lifting defensively for that line. And Lowry can't dish the puck well enough to be a 2nd line center.

Reactions: GNP and Hunter368

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That Kane contract...oh boy. I mean Kane is good for 25 to 30 goals a year but he pretty much plays a solo game. This was his first year above 50 points as well.

Yea he tends to average about 66 games a season and 43 points. Now maybe things change in San Jose but maybe not? At the end of the day he is a second line left winger who has had a history of not playing well with others and being a bit of a distraction. Even if he cleans up the off ice stuff 7 x $7 is allot of money for Kane. One also has to ask if his aggressive playing style will age well? all that hitting can take its toll.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
not sure if this has been brought up but assuming an 80M cap Kanes deal is the exact same % of cap hit as hist Jets deal..unless it goes against the old cap of 75m

I was listening to Chipman talk about the salary Cap and he said the year the Jets arrived their payroll was 56 Million US and the $ was close to par (I was half asleep but I think that's what he said) and this year if it goes to $80 US and they are at the cap that their payroll will be close to $100 million Canadian. He did say they are fine financially and will be for years to come. Kane's % of Cap is a good point but back when we signed that deal he was this 20 year old 30 goal scorer and I think we all thought he was going to improve and he never really did IMO.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Little just isn't quite capable of doing all the heavy lifting defensively for that line. And Lowry can't dish the puck well enough to be a 2nd line center.

The simple answer is Ehlers and Laine need to get their games to the next level and I think Laine will. There is also a chance a guy like Roslovic will grow into that roll. If things aren't working then TNSE can always try to address it at the TD again, I am not really that worried about it.

Reactions: surixon and Maukkis

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The simple answer is Ehlers and Laine need to get their games to the next level and I think Laine will. There is also a chance a guy like Roslovic will grow into that roll. If things aren't working then TNSE can always try to address it at the TD again, I am not really that worried about it.
See, now you're defending Little. We can't really accept that here.

I'm really curious to see how much Maurice trusts Roslovic next year. Aside from that brief 1st line stint he had, he really hasn't played much. Same goes with a guy like Poolman; I'm worried that if Maurice does not like them, they'll have a hard time cracking ten minutes a night.

Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad