Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Do we really need a pick this year, how about trying to get Anders Lee out of the Island with a package involving Myers and some adds.

If we're trading Myers, there would be two reasons for that: the main one is big cap relief, the secondary one is recouping some futures we spent.
Trading "Myers and some adds" for Lee accomplishes neither. And I'm sure it would be nice (I guess) to enter next season with three left wingers who scored 40, 31, and 29 goals last season plus 44-goal Laine, but I'm not so sure if that's the smartest way to spend our cap dollars, and I would guess that at least one of them would have sort of a down year scoring-wise...
And of course the Isles would still have to accept the trade. That's a long shot.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Do we really need a pick this year, how about trying to get Anders Lee out of the Island with a package involving Myers and some adds.

Lee is coming off a 40 goal season and is due for a contract raise. The whole point of trading Myers is to save money. Lee is probably going to make 6 mil on his next deal at minimum. That isn't a a lateral move that is a move that sets us back some. Plus which left wing does he take top 6 time from Connor or Ehlers? There's no way the Isles are trading their 40 goal scorer right now. We are going to need futures beyond this year that can step into the lineup in 3-4 years time. We don't want the well to run dry while we make major pushes down the road.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Draft pick and cap space. Cap space has value too.

If we could move Myers, Perreault and Mason and bring back minimal salary/cap hit we'd be laughing. None of those guys is particularly crucial to the success of this team.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

If we could move Myers, Perreault and Mason and bring back minimal salary/cap hit we'd be laughing. None of those guys is particularly crucial to the success of this team.
Jets don't have much of an issue with cap space this season, and Myers' contract expires after this season. The rationale for trading Myers now is to strengthen the team for next season, in my view. Trading Perreault gives the Jets valuable cap space for the season after this one.

Reactions: bustamente

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets don't have much of an issue with cap space this season, and Myers' contract expires after this season. The rationale for trading Myers now is to strengthen the team for next season, in my view. Trading Perreault gives the Jets valuable cap space for the season after this one.

True. It's more about where the cap space goes than a crisis. IMO that cap space needs to move up front and we need to make the move to the young guys on D on our bottom pairing as we did with our bottom 6 forwards to a large degree. Add futures and keep Stastny or add another similar player, that's a good move.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
True. It's more about where the cap space goes than a crisis. IMO that cap space needs to move up front and we need to make the move to the young guys on D on our bottom pairing as we did with our bottom 6 forwards to a large degree. Add futures and keep Stastny or add another similar player, that's a good move.
I think that the Jets' moves have to be looked at in two buckets.

1. Moves to reload for a run next season - The Jets are clearly in their competitive window with a good cap situation next season. They are one of the elite teams. They absolutely have to consider moves for the upcoming season to maximize their chances for next season, without destroying their cap space or gut their prospect pipeline. In that regard, I think their roster needs a very good 2/3 C next year than Myers as 3D. So moving Myers and perhaps Perreault or another asset to acquire a good 2/3 C makes sense for next season, as long as it doesn't destroy the longer term plan. That's why I could see the Jets moving Myers + to acquire a 2/3 C like Brassard or maybe RNH. Brassard's deal comes off the books after this season, so he doesn't affect the longer term cap situation. The Jets could move RNH after this season (maybe with increased value), so he would also not affect the longer term situation. For me, the calculation is getting a C that is a bigger improvement over their current 2/3 C than Myers is over Poolman as a 3C.

2. Moves to adjust their cap situation for 2019/20 - The Jets cap situation gets really tough in 2019/20, when they need to extend Laine and perhaps Wheeler. I think that is where trading Perreault and/or Kulikov after this upcoming season starts to make sense, and is probably essential. I would prefer that the Jets keep Perreault next season for an aggressive run, and trade him after next season, unless they need to include Perreault in a deal to acquire a top-end 2/3 C. That's why I could see the Oilers being very interested in a Myers/Perreault package because they have huge holes on RD and on the wings. If the Jets could get RNH and future value (maybe a 2nd rounder in 2018), then I think they would have to think long and hard about making that move. I think RNH really strengthens the Jets for next season, without longer term risk because he will be easy to trade if they need cap space after this season.

Reactions: Stej and GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I'm not buying into this idea of running Myers out of town. I don't know if there is a single team in the league who has a better #3 RHD, who can move up the lineup as needed. Without Myers around this season we would have been severely pressed with Trouba being out for 8 weeks. What is our RHD depth behind Poolman? It is non existent. Yes he is a bit over paid but he is in his final year and we can manage the cap without losing him. He just might be a guy who then agrees to a lesser salary in future years and settles into a comfortable role with the Jets.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not buying into this idea of running Myers out of town. I don't know if there is a single team in the league who has a better #3 RHD, who can move up the lineup as needed. Without Myers around this season we would have been severely pressed with Trouba being out for 8 weeks. What is our RHD depth behind Poolman? It is non existent. Yes he is a bit over paid but he is in his final year and we can manage the cap without losing him. He just might be a guy who then agrees to a lesser salary in future years and settles into a comfortable role with the Jets.

After the press conferences today I would say the chances of Myers being dealt this summer are slim. Just none stop praise for how he helped drive the team behind the scenes by the coach. It isn't what I would necessarily do but I think the org loves him and will make it work at least for next season.

I am more and more thinking that Perrault is the odd man out this season. In part because I doubt they can move Mason's salary out and in part because I don't think they are necessarily happy with his performance and public comments. I also have a hunch that the org isn't done with Petan and will give him first shot on a third scoring line next season. It shouldn't be lost on anyone that him and Roslovic tore the AHL apart when they where on a line together. Add in a solid defensive C like Little with a good shot and I think that line could do some damage.

I also have a suspicion that they plan on trying to bring back Stastny and as such will have to move out some contracts to make it happen.

Reactions: KingBogo

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Moving Perreault does seem to make way more sense than Myers.

Myers is off the books in a year anyway. He is great for a 3rd pair D and is great injury insurance too. His salary is right in line with his importance to the team.

We are stacked at wing and have a potential top six in Vesalainen coming up. There's still a place for Perreault if we can replace a center internally. But I'm not sure we can count on that happening...

Good chance Chevy does little and gives the same team one more kick at the can. But Perreault sticks out like a sore thumb as the one easiest to replace.

Reactions: GNP

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
We need more speed not less I am not sure how well he would do against a team like Vegas.Speed is Becoming so important

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
As a team fit, Myers imo would be good on EDM. They need a strong PMD with offensive skills and someone who can help that PP. I highly doubt they'd give up the 10th for Myers though.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Why do people say RNH is soft?
For me, it goes back to his early years when the Oilers forced him into the lineup before he was physically mature enough to handle the rigors of a mans game. He was no where near developed enough and had his shoulder torn asunder.

If you were to draw a line where a player falls on the side of soft or not soft..... RNH falls on the soft side.... for me. He's not a robust man.

I just don't think he's what we need and I don't believe he is the kind of player that will hold up well in the playoffs.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The rationale for trading Myers is to get something for him before we lose him for nothing. We need future players on ELC's so we need picks.

What do you envision trading him for that would improve us next year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The rationale for trading Myers is to get something for him before we lose him for nothing. We need future players on ELC's so we need picks.

What do you envision trading him for that would improve us next year?
In a package for a 2/3 C. If you want present and future value put together a good package for RNH, who helps the Jets next season and could still be traded for a package of picks and prospects after next season. Or, you could trade for a player like Brassard or Lee and just focus on next season.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'm not buying into this idea of running Myers out of town.. I don't know if there is a single team in the league who has a better #3 RHD, who can move up the lineup as needed. Without Myers around this season we would have been severely pressed with Trouba being out for 8 weeks. What is our RHD depth behind Poolman? It is non existent. Yes he is a bit over paid but he is in his final year and we can manage the cap without losing him. He just might be a guy who then agrees to a lesser salary in future years and settles into a comfortable role with the Jets.

I agree with a lot of your post Bogo -- but really would you ge willing to sign Myers to a 4-5 year contract knowing he's had Hip operations, and surgeries on both of his kees. I'd say he's a bit of a time bomb-- and even though I love Myers--the business part of me says--"very very risky deal"--to re-sign Tyler Myers.

Would you sign Myers to a 5 year contract if you were GM ?- with these health issues ?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I keep Myers
At 3D pairing

Jets are going to need all the D they can have for another run next season.

Hoping for a Dman that is really good with stretch passes.

Similar to Phil Housley

Jets lack 1 of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flair Hay

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I agree with a lot of your post Bogo -- but really would you ge willing to sign Myers to a 4-5 year contract knowing he's had Hip operations, and surgeries on both of his kees. I'd say he's a bit of a time bomb-- and even though I love Myers--the business part of me says--"very very risky deal"--to re-sign Tyler Myers.

Would you sign Myers to a 5 year contract if you were GM ?- with these health issues ?
Myers came through the season well playing all 82 games. I don't think he is worth $5.5 M, but I don't know of a better #3 RHD in the league. Myers can also move up the lineup as necessary as insurance against Trouba or Buff being out of the line up. If Myers likes his spot and is willing to sign a future contract at a price the team is comfortable with yes I'd re-sign him for 4-5 years. If he truly does get to the point he can't play the Jets will take advantage LTIR rules like all other cap teams.

My bigger concern is if we move Myers our RHD depth after Poolman is Joe Morrow on his off side followed by Nogier, Kotalek and Green. IMO defenseman, especially RHD are too valuable to let slip away.

Reactions: Flair Hay and GNP

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Trouba and Laine open to long term deals I read, anyone hear them speak to elaborate? Edit: never mind, found my answers in player interview thread.

Last edited:

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Might as well get Kovalchuk, he’s probably gonna cost much less and we could get him without wasting an asset.

Anyways I don’t know if the Jets are gonna move Myers now because of the way Maurice spoke about him(as previously mentioned), but I definitely think there’s the probability that Perreault(maybe Kulikov too) gets moved. I guess barring injury we could lose our depth on the RD but I highly doubt Myers is gonna be here long term so it might be smart to get as much as they can out of him as asset now.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Myers came through the season well playing all 82 games. I don't think he is worth $5.5 M, but I don't know of a better #3 RHD in the league. Myers can also move up the lineup as necessary as insurance against Trouba or Buff being out of the line up. If Myers likes his spot and is willing to sign a future contract at a price the team is comfortable with yes I'd re-sign him for 4-5 years. If he truly does get to the point he can't play the Jets will take advantage LTIR rules like all other cap teams.

My bigger concern is if we move Myers our RHD depth after Poolman is Joe Morrow on his off side followed by Nogier, Kotalek and Green. IMO defenseman, especially RHD are too valuable to let slip away.

I agree with a lot of what you say--and the "ideal perfect" situation would be to resign Myers, and let Statsny walk. I think Roslovic is really going to surprise people, and he has huge upside, and can fill that # 2 line center spot. If not, he just may need an extra year, but he will eventually be a "big star" for the Jet's at center ice. I'm quite sure of this.

I think Statsny is going on 33 yrs old--already noticeably slowing down, and will likely want a 4-5 year deal at around $ 5.5 to 6 mil per yr--"far to much" considering we have guys that can fill this position. We already have an aging Little on the books.

The ideal trade for a 2nd line center would be Perrault and Petan for a good young proven center-- this way we could keep Myers--"which I would like."

I'm not sure what you mean by LTIR -- but I think you mean --long term injury reserve. If that's the case-- I believe the Jets would still have to pay him--irregardless of the Cap situation, and that could be costly, if Myers goes down for 1-2 years. It's a very tough decision--but I will say this--his body held up great this year, so maybe he could go 4-5 more years. I'm sure Chevy and Chipman will be wrestling with this decision, and hope they get it right. I don't know if the Jet's can buy insurance that covers for "long term injuries" and be compensated for lost wages ??

It would be great as you say to keep our depth on Right side defense--and have Roslovic really shine as our 2nd line center. It would be a mistake signing Statsny for anymore than 2 years--and he'll want longer term and big bucs-"not worth it" We should continue to go with our youth.

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015

Kostalek is done here.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Skating and speed are not a problem Lee has, he can also play centre, I think he would do just fine, he's just a little streaky
Lee hasn't played C in the NHL. I don't think there is any chance NYI trades him for Myers. I don't think Myers is the type of D NYI needs. I think they need more of a Chris Tanev-type Dman than a offensive guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->