Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
If we trade Trouba it will because he has forced Chevy's hand and we have no choice but to trade him. IE.. He doesn't like winning and would rather play for the Coyotes or some such non-sense.
Ahhh, why the unnecessary dig? It is not like the Jets have been perennial contenders. The Coyotes might actually get good pretty soon.

HellebuyckOurSaviour

Apr 8, 2014
Winnipeg
So we all still like Helle as obv starter, and Mason as our backup since we cant get rid of that contract. Hutch is prob gone and should compete for a job in like NYI or wherever else. Not too sure about Comrie, still dont have as mutch faith in him. Havent seen enough of Phillips. Berdin might be decent in a couple years. So do we sign someone for a job in the AHL? Nice if we could get Hutton, but for whatever reason i like Brossoit from the Oilers as a decent goalie for the Moose and can come up here if needed. Think he just needs better d infront of him unlike what the Oilers had this season and our d aint to shabby.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I would bridge Helly and, I hate to say it, cut the cord with Cormrie. Bring in an experienced goalie for the Moose and let Berdin develop.
I agree with all of that except for bridging Helly. I'd prioritize Helly above Trouba, Laine (everybody).

Comrie should either moved or dropped down the chart. I wouldn't be surprised if there is still some value there. Maybe a 3rd?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't forget he's only had one great year.

You do realize that is a UFA at age 27 right? If you bridge him he can walk as a UFA in two years time. That would be pretty short sighted. He also hasn't just had one good year he has had two good seasons worth of NHL play if you include his 26 games in 2016.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
My money is on jets prying away oilers first rounder.

Oilers need cheap depth and are in win now mode.

Chiarelli needs to make a trade to save his job.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
You do realize that is a UFA at age 27 right? If you bridge him he can walk as a UFA in two years time. That would be pretty short sighted. He also hasn't just had one good year he has had two good seasons worth of NHL play if you include his 26 games in 2016.
forget about his age. I guess a long term deal is needed.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would bridge Helly and, I hate to say it, cut the cord with Cormrie. Bring in an experienced goalie for the Moose and let Berdin develop.
He already signed his bridge deal last year. It is time for a payday.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
It will be interesting to see this play out. I think the main linchpin is Trouba. If they get him extended in a timely fashion what is the plan with Myers going into the last year of his contract? What is our window with Buff-Wheeler-Little? Realistically what will we need to spend on Laine if we extend him long term this summer? What is Wheeler going to need to get paid?

What I am comforted by (not appealing to authority on this) is that I beleive TNSE will have a comprehensive plan baking in all the contingencies. Simmons and Chevy are not without fault but they are smart guys who have lived in this cap world for quite a while. They have the assets and a winning team now so their challenge moves from filling the cupboards to managing the cap and winning a championship during the window.

Keep in mind Chicago (3), LA (2), and Pitt (3) have cleaned up on the cups over the past 8 seasons and they have done this by having the right asset base but also going all in on winning during the window.

Every owner and organization wants to win a cup but many don't have the skill to get up the mountain let alone get to the top. I think this season and spring we were validated that we have the leadership to build the team to get up the mountain. Now is the tough sledding because we all head back to base camp to start the climb again here July 1st so we'll see whether we can manage the cap and contracts properly, get some f***ing luck at the right time (PDO gods :thumbd:), and take this think to the summit over the next 5 seasons?

Reactions: GNP and KingBogo

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
All the good players can't make 6-8m has to be a breaking point and some vets will have to be moved out ,window for this group has opened who they keep and who gets moved will decide the fate of this team.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
All the good players can't make 6-8m has to be a breaking point and some vets will have to be moved out ,window for this group has opened who they keep and who gets moved will decide the fate of this team.

I don't think the average fan understood how special this season was with so many value contracts. It was cap heaven.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't think the average fan understood how special this season was with so many value contracts. It was cap heaven.
We can move depth players like Perrault Myers armia and be right back where we were with a cheap team and still dominant. Roslo needs to be given more chances. Mo favoured vets too much.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
We can move depth players like Perrault Myers armia and be right back where we were with a cheap team and still dominant. Roslo needs to be given more chances. Mo favoured vets too much.

Except we weren't a cheap team. We ended at 400k below the cap when you account for bonuses.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
RNH is not a winner in my book. He seems soft. However, I sure would like to see Pulijujarvi in a Jet's uniform.

This Pulji very much impresses me, and I'd take a look at getting him if I was Chevy. I watched him play, and he's big and fast, and just needs some time. At one time he was rated 2nd only to Mathews by Central scouting and dropped off for some reason, and Laine passed him, in the selection ratings.

Although he had a disappointing season last year, he is a Finn, and would adjust nicely with the other Finns in the Jet's lineup--like Armia and Laine. It's my belief when a young guy comes over to North America, he suffers from "culture shock"-- not knowing the language, no friends or family, and a different way of life over here. I believe this guy could have huge upside.

I'm sure we could trade someone to the Oilers that would entice them to part with Pulji--and he might be the biggest trade lottery we ever made. I think he will be a bit of a late bloomer--just like Scheifle was -- but it may be worth a shot.

As for RHH -- he'd probably be a good fit as well, but he is a bit soft, and depending on what the Oilers want for him, I'm sure Chevy has been thinking of this as well. It will likely take Myers and another player -- or a straight up trade for Trouba--although I don't think Trouba would want to go there. If Trouba signs here--you can bet he'll have a "no trade"-- "no move" clause in his contract.

Nov 24, 2006
I have a feeling (well, maybe it's more wishful thinking) that Wheeler will sign a very team friendly deal to extend here. He strikes me as a very strong captain that realizes he needs to set the tone financially to keep as much of this team together as possible.

I do believe that Stastny staying is an option, and one I'd pursue if I was Chevy. He needs to not overpay Laine and Trouba.

If there are casualties, I think Little might be gone if they can get Stastny signed. Myers (unfortunately, because I really like him), and Perreault (like him too). It would be nice if there was no salary cap :(

Reactions: jgimp

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I have a feeling (well, maybe it's more wishful thinking) that Wheeler will sign a very team friendly deal to extend here. He strikes me as a very strong captain that realizes he needs to set the tone financially to keep as much of this team together as possible.

I do believe that Stastny staying is an option, and one I'd pursue if I was Chevy. He needs to not overpay Laine and Trouba.

If there are casualties, I think Little might be gone if they can get Stastny signed. Myers (unfortunately, because I really like him), and Perreault (like him too). It would be nice if there was no salary cap :(

If there was no salary cap we wouldn't have a team to be debating contracts over.

The Cap is what makes it possible to have a team in Winnipeg. You just to have a GM that can make it work.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

This Pulji very much impresses me, and I'd take a look at getting him if I was Chevy. I watched him play, and he's big and fast, and just needs some time. At one time he was rated 2nd only to Mathews by Central scouting and dropped off for some reason, and Laine passed him, in the selection ratings.

Although he had a disappointing season last year, he is a Finn, and would adjust nicely with the other Finns in the Jet's lineup--like Armia and Laine. It's my belief when a young guy comes over to North America, he suffers from "culture shock"-- not knowing the language, no friends or family, and a different way of life over here. I believe this guy could have huge upside.

I'm sure we could trade someone to the Oilers that would entice them to part with Pulji--and he might be the biggest trade lottery we ever made. I think he will be a bit of a late bloomer--just like Scheifle was -- but it may be worth a shot.

As for RHH -- he'd probably be a good fit as well, but he is a bit soft, and depending on what the Oilers want for him, I'm sure Chevy has been thinking of this as well. It will likely take Myers and another player -- or a straight up trade for Trouba--although I don't think Trouba would want to go there. If Trouba signs here--you can bet he'll have a "no trade"-- "no move" clause in his contract.
I’m as big of Pulji fan as anybody. But last thing Jets need is more wingers.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
With Lou in as Isles leader now maybe we can get Myers to the Islanders for one of their picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad