Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 - "Ross the Boss" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Making the conference finals or SC finals is a deep run. Getting bounced in the 2nd round is an early exit.
Semantics, I guess. If the second round is "an early exit", what do you call a first round exit, or not making the playoffs at all?

Let's go with this:

Bottom ten - total disaster
Missing playoffs - horrible
Losing first round - useless
Losing second round - unacceptable
Losing third round - failure
Losing final - bad
Winning Stanley Cup - barely acceptable
Winning five Cups in a row - starting to be a decent team.

I guess, based on that list, Montreal in the 70s was the only team ever worth cheering for. May as well scrap the league.

Reactions: dood and MJF

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I still don't know what that role is. Was he brought in just for the arena stuff?

I believe that was the biggest portion.

"We are pleased that Travis has joined the Islanders organization to lead our business operations as we embark on the Belmont Park arena project," Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky said. "His experience in developing and operating the arena in Pittsburgh will be invaluable in making sure our new facility provides an unparalleled experience when guests attend a game or concert."

Williams joined the Penguins in 2008 and was responsible for the development of PPG Paint Arena, the Penguins current home, and the construction of UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex, the Penguins official practice facility, bringing both projects to completion on time and under budget.

Reactions: PK Cronin

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Oh yeah, losing in the first round is an early exit. Losing in the 2nd round is part of the first half of the field being eliminated. No biggie.
Even if you're just looking at the teams that made the playoffs, four teams lost in the second round, of the sixteen. In Canada, that's only ¼, and not part of the first half.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Eh... something is amiss w that guy ... playing w one of the best centers in the game, and yet he seems "disinterested" ..smells like Ladd v2.slow ... I would pass ...

Come on, Ladd was NEVER in Benn's category. Disinterested or on a poorly constructed team?

Pavelski is now 1G/2A in 11 games, did he catch that disease too? Radulov 1G/3A. Cogliano 1A in 11 games.

Sounds like a change of scenery would be pretty good. Remember, last year he would have been 2nd in points for us in a bad year for him.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Even if you're just looking at the teams that made the playoffs, four teams lost in the second round, of the sixteen. In Canada, that's only ¼, and not part of the first half.
It's all in how you look at things. Perspective.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It's all in how you look at things. Perspective.

What if this is your perspective?

tumblr_or3yqyrush1r1ult6o1_400.gif

Reactions: Strummergas

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
We all are. But not at the expense of making it difficult to sign all our upcoming RFAs and blocking the paths to the NHL of Dobson and Wahlstrom.
The isles tried to sign Panarin. Let's not use the excuse that they did not make a major roster addition because they need to save their $ for Dobson & Wally down the road.

Reactions: ichabod13

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The isles tried to sign Panarin. Let's not use the excuse that they did not make a major roster addition because they need to save their $ for Dobson & Wally down the road.
Not for them. For Toews, Pulock, and Barzal in July.

Lou knows we need a sniper so he tried for Panarin, just as he looked into Mark Stone last February. But he's not interested in bringing in another middle 6 forward who might make us only slightly better because "he's better than Leo or Kuhnhackl". Not unless he can rid us of one of the anchor contracts that we're saddled with.

With last season's success Lou now has the luxury of letting Wahlstrom and Dobson ease their way in as well as letting Nelson, Barzal, and a revamped power play supply the offense rather than going outside the organization for it, unless it's an elite sniper.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I doubt the return for Ho-Sang is anything of significance, at least in regards to the NHL club.

it will be very underwhelming. I imagine they are trying to figure out who the players are they are being offered.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Ek from H**l is back at it today with Benn to the Isles. Only if they agree to take Ladd (waiving his NTC) back.

Ladd, 2020 1st, Vande Sompel and Bellows is as far as I go.

:puppy:

Goodness gracious - the whole league is talking about how Benn is but a shell of his former self.

Getting Benn with the way he's played his last 100 games would be akin to picking up Trevor Linden all over again.

Reactions: 12Dog

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

Goodness gracious - the whole league is talking about how Benn is but a shell of his former self.

Getting Benn with the way he's played his last 100 games would be akin to picking up Trevor Linden all over again.

Yes, they are talking but that shell is still only 30 and would have been our 2nd leading point producer last year so I'm taking that with a grain of salt since even Pavelski is struggling there. He didn't fall off the cliff either. There's something in their system that is holding their star players back. Only Seguin is putting up numbers and he's hardly putting them up this year either.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

Hey, as long as we get the 10th overall after trading him, hopefully a better Taylor Pyatt that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad