Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2019-20 - "Ross the Boss" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Same church, different pew.
Some pews are much more tolerable than others...

th

I like these ones the best...

Reactions: MJF

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Browsing through the stats, it's clear that we are well above average to excellent in almost every meaningful category, except 2:

– GF (goals forward, also known as pucks put in the net of the opposing team).

– PK (number of goals surrendered while having less players on ice than the opposing team).

I believe the latter is partly a statistical quirk, and partly due to Cizikas injury.

And the former one is one glaring problem, we all know that, we are anemic offensively.

In my opinion, the following lineup is of contender level:

Taylor Hall level winger – Barzal – Eberle
Lee – Nelson – Wahlstrom
Beau – upgrade of Brassard – Bailey
Martin/Ross – Cizikas – Clutter
Knhl – Komarov

Pelech – Pulock
Toews – Mayfield
Leddy – Boychuk
Dobson

Varlamov
Greiss

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Just was looking at the NHL top 200 fantasy players and we have one guy in the top 100 - Barzal at 68 - and one other skater in the top 200 - Toews at 183. Our goalies are at 110 and 111 respectively.

Just shows you that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. That and we get no respect. There's that too.

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
Browsing through the stats, it's clear that we are well above average to excellent in almost every meaningful category, except 2:

– GF (goals forward, also known as pucks put in the net of the opposing team).

– PK (number of goals surrendered while having less players on ice than the opposing team).

I believe the latter is partly a statistical quirk, and partly due to Cizikas injury.

And the former one is one glaring problem, we all know that, we are anemic offensively.

In my opinion, the following lineup is of contender level:

Taylor Hall level winger – Barzal – Eberle
Lee – Nelson – Wahlstrom
Beau – upgrade of Brassard – Bailey
Martin/Ross – Cizikas – Clutter
Knhl – Komarov

Pelech – Pulock
Toews – Mayfield
Leddy – Boychuk
Dobson

Varlamov
Greiss

I'm willing to expand the sample size to more than 9 games before I start looking at where we stand on various stat lists.

Craig Bowser

Oct 19, 2018
I still don't know what that role is. Was he brought in just for the arena stuff?
From above it was me who was not thrilled with the Travis Williams hire, I actually used to read this board a lot but havent been on in a bit. I saw the news so I came to post but saw some already did. I know from my previous job that Williams was a terrible hire and was ticked the Isles brought him on.

He did a horrendous job with Pittsburgh and its arena development, not just failing to do anything, but also working with potential lease holders or investors. He was seen as a buffoon within the city leadership and most of the corporate community. He was COO, I think, so some thought he was a good hire based on the team success. The city was very happy he moved on. I cannot imagine he left this situation to go to the freaking Pirates disaster unless he was already on the outs, which I do not doubt at all.

I am STUNNED the Pirates hired him based on his reputation in the city. They are terrible at everything though. Annoyingly long post short this is great news for our squad. Good luck Pirates.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I still don't know what that role is. Was he brought in just for the arena stuff?
I don't know if he had a hand in the Islanders ticketing situation (I seem to recall that was one of his responsibilities) but it has become a real clusterfvck. I'm not sure who's exactly responsible for it and whether the direction from the top of the totem pole has any bearing on the granular details of how things work w/r/t to the user interface but both the STH perks (team credit is now gone) and the ability to manage your tickets has gone downhill dramatically.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I'm willing to expand the sample size to more than 9 games before I start looking at where we stand on various stat lists.
Totally agree. I usually withhold judgement until at least 15 games (unless a team crushes out of the gate immediately like, for example, Dallas, they're done).

My point is whether this team is one first-line winger away from being a Cup contender, it's the same question we talk over and over since at least the last trade deadline.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Watching NHL Channel and saw news that Seidenberg retired today, so is officially a boarding house for NHL prospects?

Reactions: SI90

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Extend the 3 RFAs we have coming up this summer. And yes, not block Wahlstrom’s and Dobson’s path to the NHL with a player he had to sign for 2 or 3 years with a mid-range contract. And that’s not an excuse, that’s the right way to manage this roster. Get the elite player from outside the organization, fill the rest of the roster from within whenever possible.
Lee did not become a priority until Panarin was out of reach.

And it did not even look like they wanted Ebs until they lost out on Panarin. If I recall correctly, wasn't the press indicating the isles making no effort to extend him during the season or leading up to July 1st?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Lee did not become a priority until Panarin was out of reach.

And it did not even look like they wanted Ebs until they lost out on Panarin. If I recall correctly, wasn't the press indicating the isles making no effort to extend him during the season or leading up to July 1st?
No - the Islanders signed Ebs in advance of 7/1. I thought that was surprising as he should have been Plan B to Panarin (as opposed to Lee being the plan B), but apparently they found that he could be had at what they felt was a more reasonable deal than Lee could be prior to 7/1.

Craig Bowser

Oct 19, 2018
I don't know if he had a hand in the Islanders ticketing situation (I seem to recall that was one of his responsibilities) but it has become a real clusterfvck. I'm not sure who's exactly responsible for it and whether the direction from the top of the totem pole has any bearing on the granular details of how things work w/r/t to the user interface but both the STH perks (team credit is now gone) and the ability to manage your tickets has gone downhill dramatically.

I would assume he did as he was President of Business. He was just not a savvy guy at all. My best guess is that he was way over his head. I dont think he actually accomplished much at the Penguins and was originally a lawyer who was promoted for whatever reason.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
I would assume he did as he was President of Business. He was just not a savvy guy at all. My best guess is that he was way over his head. I dont think he actually accomplished much at the Penguins and was originally a lawyer who was promoted for whatever reason.
Seems like the kind of guy who got promoted so he could get out of the way so things could get done. But when actually in charge of anything, didn't have the first clue as to how to do it.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Yup. Official billet for our rookies.
I would think Boychuk would be taking over that role. And for some reason, I imagine the Boychuk household as being hysterical. Like his brothers playing Madden and wrestling on the couch until the wee hours of the morning. Like Wahlstrom waking up and all of his belongings are wrapped in tin foil. Shit like that.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Anyone see Trotz's post game interview with Shannon tonight? She asked him about the value of Leddy and he replied with something to the effect of, "Leddy is such an amazing skater. The best on our team. He's so valuable to us so you have to laugh when you hear that those rumors about him going anywhere. He's not."

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Anyone see Trotz's post game interview with Shannon tonight? She asked him about the value of Leddy and he replied with something to the effect of, "Leddy is such an amazing skater. The best on our team. He's so valuable to us so you have to laugh when you hear that those rumors about him going anywhere. He's not."

Yep, heard that. He must read the boards.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
When everyone is healthy, I wouldnt mind this line-up (with keeping Brassard at wing since he looks better there)

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beauvillier-Nelson-Brassard
Komarov-Bailey-Wahlstrom
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

I'll try Bailey at center but I don't think it's going to happen.

More likely this line-up (with Kuhnhackl probably gone because of injury, Bardreau will stay with us for a longer time I think)

Lee-Barzal-Eberle
Beau-Nelson-Brassard
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Dal Colle-Bardreau-Komarov

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm glad the Islanders want to keep Leddy. When he becomes more assertive in the offensive zone and uses his speed to his advantage like he did against Ottawa he can be an All Star player again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad