Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Not necessarily a "smart" move, but an expected move as some change was needed. I've seen what Dal Colle "brought" on the 3rd line and wasn't impressed. Not expecting more from him now facing the opponents' best defenseman each night.

What this move says is that Beauvillier is not delivering and it's next man up. Now why that "next man" isn't Lee I don't understand.

I have to agree with the bold.

MDC getting a look on Barzal's line is pretty much all about Beauvillier's practically inexplicable failure, and less about MDC's progress in battling his way up the ladder.

Beauvillier started the season off with 1 goal (heck, 1 point) in 16 games. He's now in a funk of something like 1 goal in 19 games. This is absolutely unacceptable from a top 6 winger unless you're Blake Wheeler and dishing out 17 assists along the way as well.

But his scoring drought goes beyond this funk. He's been weak on the boards and very weak on the puck. He's fighting it. He's barely coming in at a shot per game. Half the shots he does take go straight into the shinpads of the closest defender.

He's constantly being manhandled and hasn't shown the ability to skate AROUND defenders, despite some pretty doggone good wheels. Does he battle and does he work and does he skate? Sure, but those are the prerequisites of a 3rd and 4th line player.

He's got to up the ante! UP THE ANTE!

PS) When it comes to deadline trades, and yes, I've mentioned this player before, and I don't know what Trotz' opinion of and relationship to Marcus Johansson was in Washington before Johansson was moved for draft picks (I thought that was a salary dump; rumors out of Sweden are that he's "difficult" in the locker room), but I've been observing him with Jersey recently, where he's been filling in for Hall on the Hischier line and I've seen a lot of things that make me think he could gel very well with Barzal. He appears to be moving on all cylinders right now and is much more creative player than I had suspected. He can play either wing.

Again, maybe Trotz wants nothing to do with him, but on the ice, I would fully understand an interest in him.

Reactions: dano16

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Why would the isles be interested in jimmy howard

Was wondering the same thing.

was very surprised by that and Quick

Two simple reasons imo:
1. Lehner is on a show me contract and has found a drug regiment that treats his illness. Anybody with or around someone with mental illness knows how easy it is for meds to stop working. Body chemistry changes and mental illness is the type of thing that takes hardcore management to keep symptoms at bay. Maybe none of these guys are sold that Lehner's a long time solution. Great story and all, but I'm not sure I'm sold on him yet either. The cynic in me says let's see what he does with real full-time work.
2. He's a UFA. I know most of you just assume he's going to sign a longer contract with the Isles, but that's no guarantee. I don't mind the Isles inking him to a multi-year deal, but it's hardly set in stone. If I'm Lehner, I would have signed an extension yesterday knowing what I'm dealing with. He hasn't....which could mean he's concentrating on hockey, but there are at least two other possible scenarios out there to explain it (hasn't been offered a contract/has told his agent he's going to test UFA).

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I wouldn’t be surprised if we get Kovi for like a 4th and they keep some cash. We have to do something. Barzals line is junk right now and the PP. they need those 2 things to get going if they want to make a run.

The problem here is that Kovalchuk is earning 6+ million per season.

You go get him, even on the cheap, and you've pretty much marketed yourself out of the running for a Panarin, Stone, Duchene, etc., unless you let Lee, Nelson, and Eberle simply walk.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
With regards to Eberle to Calgary... I’d be interested in a deal if it returned their first.

Maybe Eberle and Calgary’s 2nd for Calgary’s 1st and Islanders 4th.

Don’t know what’s up with Sam Bennett these days. But maybe the Isles could expand the deal and get him included. I like his positional versatility.

I’d look to flip the pick/s for someone else.

I'm torn on Bennett and part of me thinks trading Bennett for Eberle would be as silly as doing something like trading Eberle for Strome. Who does that? But seriously, as a rental....that's not a good comparison. I might take Bennett for Eberle straight up.

Honestly, I'm willing to just keep all unsigned FA's and see what damage we can do in the playoffs. If they walk, they walk.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Haha, nope.

But knowing that Trotz like to have LH and RH D pairings, I thought McQuaid could be a depth RD...

I think we are set on D. Hickey is almost healthy, Toews emerging.

The system compensates for our lack of D talent and depth.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Regarding the centers, if we resign Nelson and sign Duchene we can still upgrade Eberle into Panerin and still be okay cap wise.

Beau-Barzal-Bailey
Lee-Duchene-Panarin
MDC-Nelson-Komi
4th line

What kind of contracts do you think these guys will be getting?

We do have cap space, but we also have another five years of Ladd at 5.5 million per.

Not to be forgotten is that Beau is an RFA this summer and then Barzal, Pulock, and Toews are too the summer thereafter.

Money needs to be there for particularly Barzal and Pulock as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad