Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I like Kane and would love him to remain an Oiler for the right price/term... But really, there is no way we can afford him.

Our defense and goaltending NEED to improve AND we will have difficulty signing the guys we have. Plus a few years out we got to start signing guys like Bouchard to potentially big money as well.

It just doesn't make sense to overpay for Kane when we have cheaper options coming down the pipeline and bigger needs than more scoring.

I’d like him back to. I think he should be a priority. That being said, if he wants to be paid (like 5mil+), I don’t see the Oilers make it work realistically. I can’t see Holland getting rid of multiple signed guys to make it work.

Last edited:

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I’d like him back to. I think he should be a priority. That being said, if he wants to be paid, I don’t see the Oilers make it work realistically. I can’t see Holland getting rid of multiple signed guys to make it work.
I think the issue is that making Kane too much of a "priority" would probably require us to commit heavy term to ANOTHER aging top 6 forward. We have Hyman for 6 more years and RNH for 7, and those guys are 1-2 years younger than Kane. Kane might well be looking for a 5-6 year deal if he can get it, and I think we'd be foolish to offer a soon-to-be 31 year old that much term. Realistically, I think he has 2-3 more good, productive years left.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I’d like him back to. I think he should be a priority. That being said, if he wants to be paid (like 5mil+), I don’t see the Oilers make it work realistically. I can’t see Holland getting rid of multiple signed guys to make it work.
Get rid of useless plugs like Kassian and Shore and that's 4 million dollars. Holland is the highest paid GM he needs to prove it this offseason.

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
Get rid of useless plugs like Kassian and Shore and that's 4 million dollars. Holland is the highest paid GM he needs to prove it this offseason.

You probably keep shore as his deal is almost as close to league minimum as you can get for a guy with some nhl experience as a 13/14 forward.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Kinda makes you wonder what could have been if Skinner was called up and they actually gave Kono a chance in Bako.

Shouldn't he have been in line to be the starter next season? By terminating his contract I'm assuming the Oilers no longer hold his rights?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Shouldn't he have been in line to be the starter next season? By terminating his contract I'm assuming the Oilers no longer hold his rights?
Hard to say. If I were going into next season with a Smith/Skinner tandem, I'd definitely be trying to find an elite AHL goalie that can sneak through waivers and play some NHL games if needed.

And yup. They lose his rights after the termination.

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If I was him, I would never go to Vegas with the way they treat their players.

No kidding. Really though, he should only be looking at what Kane did considering he’s got one year and then is a UFA. He could earn himself a massive payday at 27 playing with McDrai next year.

No more f***ing wasting high draft picks unnecessarily. I explained a bunch of times in this thread why the buyout of Kassian is the preferred route. I'm not attaching a 1st to rid of his contract just to receive minimal.cap savings compared to a buyout. Makes no sense.

Wasting high picks? Aside from AA who was more to do with the pandemic, who have we wasted picks on? We barely ever trade picks

Huge pass on Strome, I would welcome Zacha though

Why huge pass on a 50 point guy who’s close with Connor? If the price is right, he’s a great target

here is a question

Do you sign Kane or spent that money in net in the off season?

A Smith/Skinner combo scares me--I like Skinner but If Smith goes down again--I do not think he is ready for the NHL 80% work load

Sign Kane and a 3rd string goalie like Jones, Subban, or Wedgewood, and get them on waivers the first day possible to try and sneak them through

Weird. He could potentially be the starter in the AHL and the first callup next year

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Wasting high picks? Aside from AA who was more to do with the pandemic, who have we wasted picks on? We barely ever trade picks
well Brassard is kind of a waste of a 4th, we lost a 2nd for Kulak, a third/second for Keith. Looking back, we spent picks on Kulikov, Ennis, AA, Green, just to name a few.

We haven’t had 7 picks in a draft for a while now. Every year we enter the draft with fewer picks than actual rounds. We don’t really trade our 1st but we’ve been bleeding pretty much every other round.

Reactions: dawunderboy

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Ho hum just another waste of a promising asset

I'd still like to see a confirmation on this. It makes no sense to terminate his contract considering that he's been signed.

When we lost Blumel he wasn't under contract. This is different.

Reactions: ujju2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'd still like to see a confirmation on this. It makes no sense to terminate his contract considering that he's been signed.

When we lost Blumel he wasn't under contract. This is different.
They terminated Paigin's contract a few years ago.

Happens a lot with Russians. They can't play in the KHL with an NHL deal. If they don't want to play here, you might as well just let them go. You don't really gain anything from refusing and having them sit out.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
well Brassard is kind of a waste of a 4th, we lost a 2nd for Kulak, a third/second for Keith. Looking back, we spent picks on Kulikov, Ennis, AA, Green, just to name a few.

We haven’t had 7 picks in a draft for a while now. Every year we enter the draft with fewer picks than actual rounds. We don’t really trade our 1st but we’ve been bleeding pretty much every other round.

Except Kulak has easily been worth the price paid (and I was as big of critic of the move as you’ll find), and a 4th for insurance during a playoff run is hardly what I’d call a waste. If it wasn’t for the pandemic I wouldn’t call any of those a waste, and we’re not a rebuilding team, so you’ve got to expect picks to be moved. We’re about as conservative when it comes to trading picks as you’d see out of any contender

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Except Kulak has easily been worth the price paid (and I was as big of critic of the move as you’ll find), and a 4th for insurance during a playoff run is hardly what I’d call a waste. If it wasn’t for the pandemic I wouldn’t call any of those a waste, and we’re not a rebuilding team, so you’ve got to expect picks to be moved. We’re about as conservative when it comes to trading picks as you’d see out of any contender
You aid “we rarely ever trade picks.” That isn’t true.

And you’d be hard pressed to find many people who considered us a contender at the deadline this year. I expect we’ll be more active buyers next year, but we can’t be aggressive if we offload valuable draft capital to get rid of problem contracts in the offseason.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

And you’d be hard pressed to find many people who considered us a contender at the deadline this year. I expect we’ll be more active buyers next year, but we can’t be aggressive if we offload valuable draft capital to get rid of problem contracts in the offseason.

You'd be hard pressed to find many people complain about getting to the Conference Finals after spending only a 2nd and 4th for rentals when every year you have teams trading 1st rounders and exit in the first 2 rounds (Florida, Minnesota, Toronto last year)

Reactions: TheNumber4

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

We do rarely trade picks. Look at the Pens. They’ve had 1 first round pick in the last 7 years, and haven’t had 7 picks since 2012.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They terminated Paigin's contract a few years ago.

Happens a lot with Russians. They can't play in the KHL with an NHL deal. If they don't want to play here, you might as well just let them go. You don't really gain anything from refusing and having them sit out.
Loan them?

Wasn't Samorukov loaned to the KHL recently.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Kane's arbitration case is to continue after the Oilers are done.

This article suggests several scenarios. But in the end it seems to me like a settlement might make sense. Kane seems to be happy in Edmonton. He and the sharks agree to reinstate the remainder of his deal and he is traded to Edmonton with 35% retention. The Sharks save money and cap space over a buyout, Kane gets his money. The Oilers get Kane for three years at $4.55M.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

This article suggests several scenarios. But in the end it seems to me like a settlement might make sense. Kane seems to be happy in Edmonton. He and the sharks agree to reinstate the remainder of his deal and he is traded to Edmonton with 35% retention. The Sharks save money and cap space over a buyout, Kane gets his money. The Oilers get Kane for three years at $4.55M.
That’s almost too good to be true lol.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

The best case scenario for us is if the double dipping thing is true and San Jose pays up anything below 7 million. 6 year deal for Kane, league minimum first 3 years, 7 million the 3 after, 3.875 million cap hit for 6 years. f*** the sharks!

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017

Don't think that's going to happen. Sharks don't want to give Kane a cent. They want his contract voided period. If the Sharks were to trade his contact to Edmonton they're surely not going to retain nothing. Maybe even ask for a late pick or mid prospect. Kane's next contract maybe worth as much or more per year than his Sharks contract is. Sharks will fight to tooth and nail to keep Kane off their cap going forward.

Reactions: McDoused

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
There was a point where I would have traded Barrie for a veteran stay at home dman. Now, I'm wondering if our best course is to see if anyone would just give a pick for him and take the cap space.

Resign Kulak and start with Broberg. If we need a more veteran shut down guy by the deadline, we make that move.

I also fully think Kane staying is unrealistic. But I also think him getting a big contract will have other players looking to rebound, wanting to sign a cheap one year deal to go on a run and rebuild their name. Who is the best candidate for that? Domi?

Reactions: Mr Positive

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Don't think that's going to happen. Sharks don't want to give Kane a cent. They want his contract voided period. If the Sharks were to trade his contact to Edmonton they're surely not going to retain nothing. Maybe even ask for a late pick or mid prospect. Kane's next contract maybe worth as much or more per year than his Sharks contract is. Sharks will fight to tooth and nail to keep Kane off their cap going forward.
I think the sense now is that the Sharks may well lose the arbitration in which case they would be potentially on the hook for the full value of the contract. A settlement avoids this.

Kane has a very limited no trade clause which mean there are only three teams he can be traded to. So it's not like SJ has a lot of options if the contract is reinstated. The may have to go the buyout route which would cost them twice as much as my proposal.

Reactions: NoDust33
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad