Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And if so, would he take a contract to be a part of the team longer term? I'm sure that he wants to be paid, but there is a lot going for him here and it seems like he's been a good fit on and off the ice. Would a 4 year, $24 million deal (AAV of $6 million) get it done?

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
And if so, would he take a contract to be a part of the team longer term? I'm sure that he wants to be paid, but there is a lot going for him here and it seems like he's been a good fit on and off the ice. Would a 4 year, $24 million deal (AAV of $6 million) get it done?

I'd reverse the deal and go 24 million over 6 years for a 4 million dollar cap hit.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
So many questions with Kane
  • Does he still want to be out west to be close to his kid?
  • Does he want money over chance at winning?
  • Has he finally learned his lesson with off ice issues?
  • Can the Oilers afford him and fix the goaltending?
  • If Kane stays, does another high-priced or RFA forward go?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Let's say hypothetically, Kane loves it here. He considers Edmonton and the Oilers the bees knees.
The place where he wants to spend the rest of career here.

Reality is...he is in debt.

Let's say, he doesn't get any money from the San Jose situation.

He really has no choice but to accept the highest bidder to pay those off.

Oilers...unfortunately, in this particular off-season...cannot offer him anything but below his worth.
We know he's worth it, but it's just the reality of the numbers.

If we sign Kane to what he's worth now.

We possibly lose all of McLeod, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Kulak and possible new starting goalie.

Those are too many positions to fill with rookies. And those players have just gained some valuable experience as NHLers already.

It's kinda sad actually, he fits and brings much needed swagger to the team, and would no doubt produce career numbers here if he stayed.

If only all that background stuff was solved. Maybe there would be a chance.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd reverse the deal and go 24 million over 6 years for a 4 million dollar cap hit.
Unless that's the only long term deal he could get, that seems mighty low for him. I'd think that he'd want at least Nuge or Hyman money if he's signing on for 6 years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's really up to Holland's relationship with him and what was said when he agreed to come here initially. No GM wanted him a couple months ago so I doubt they would be lining up to sign him at 6x4
It was reported that other teams did have interest. And then there are the teams that had no cap space and the teams that were basically out of it by that point and had no reason to sign a guy looking for a deal for only the rest of the year. Point is we don't know anything about what Kane wants this summer or what other teams might want him. Given his money issues, I think its fair to assume that he will sign wherever the money is.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It was reported that other teams did have interest. And then there are the teams that had no cap space and the teams that were basically out of it by that point and had no reason to sign a guy looking for a deal for only the rest of the year. Point is we don't know anything about what Kane wants this summer or what other teams might want him. Given his money issues, I think its fair to assume that he will sign wherever the money is.
I can't see him signing here. This was a calculated move to play with one of McDrai to boost his value to other teams for a big contract this off season.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Why would Kane do that? Its the term teams are scared of, everyone knows he's worth north of 5.5m. Even if he continues his career signing 1 year deals, he'll hit 24m before year 6, maybe even before year 5.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Also I know we're all still in the honeymoon stage with Kane but let's not forget how we felt about him 2 months ago. Having a drama-free few months doesn't mean we're in the clear long-term. He has a history of wearing out his welcome with teams. If he continues to be a positive influence until the Oilers have played their final game this year I wouldn't go more than 3 years. I doubt other teams who've never had him in their room go any longer.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Let's say hypothetically, Kane loves it here. He considers Edmonton and the Oilers the bees knees.
The place where he wants to spend the rest of career here.

Reality is...he is in debt.

Let's say, he doesn't get any money from the San Jose situation.

He really has no choice but to accept the highest bidder to pay those off.

Oilers...unfortunately, in this particular off-season...cannot offer him anything but below his worth.
We know he's worth it, but it's just the reality of the numbers.

If we sign Kane to what he's worth now.

We possibly lose all of McLeod, Yamamoto, Puljujarvi, Kulak and possible new starting goalie.

Those are too many positions to fill with rookies. And those players have just gained some valuable experience as NHLers already.

It's kinda sad actually, he fits and brings much needed swagger to the team, and would no doubt produce career numbers here if he stayed.

If only all that background stuff was solved. Maybe there would be a chance.

This may not be the case . Those bills are secured by his previous contract . He also in Bankruptcy . if that contract is gone he may not have to repay that debt .

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Maybe Kane can be our Rodman. Talented player with controversial off court issues. MJ and Pippen let Rodman do his thing, as long as Rodman brought it on the court. Maybe we can for the same for Kane, let him be himself, no judgements, but expect that he brings it every time he steps on the ice.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Also I know we're all still in the honeymoon stage with Kane but let's not forget how we felt about him 2 months ago. Having a drama-free few months doesn't mean we're in the clear long-term. He has a history of wearing out his welcome with teams. If he continues to be a positive influence until the Oilers have played their final game this year I wouldn't go more than 3 years. I doubt other teams who've never had him in their room go any longer.
I wanted him here because I felt that he could help on the ice and we'd get a good test run on him ahead of everyone else. I realize that he has had issues. This is likely the only reason that we might be able to afford him. The question is, does he want personal success and to look after and be a good role model for his daughter? If he wants all of the above then this maybe the best situation for him. Let's also remember that we are an imperfect market in terms of attracting players. If he's willing to play here and the guys in the room want him here then get it done.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Copied from the last thread from @Mcnotloilersfan

did a new projection based on Stauffers hints today. I'm assuming Kane is gone, and for now, I'm trading Barrie for a draft pick.

I'm signing Mcleod to the yamo/pulju deals of 2x 1.175 and I'm giving those players 2 x 3.5 each. Maybe reasonable? Maybe not? I'm not sure

The Following roster needs a 13th forward and 2nd pair right shot dman, as well as an upgrade in goaltending. 6m in cap space remains (2.2 could also go out if you're somehow moving Smith in that tending upgrade).

McLeod-McDavid-Yamo
Hyman-Draisaitl-Pulju
Foegele-RNH-Holloway
Shore-Ryan-Kassian

Nurse-Ceci
Keith-
Broberg-Bouchard
Niemo

Smith
Skinner

If you can move both Smith and Kassian as well, you have 11.4m for a dman, goalie and 13th forward. That's reasonable.

If you want to upgrade Foegele, you're looking at paying a hefty price to trade him for a player with retention.

Our real miracles would be any of the following.

1) Keith retires. 8m in cap space.
2) Kane wins his case against the Sharks. Can sign here for league min while the Sharks pay him
3) Smithers retires.

I think your numbers are off. If you're trading Barrie for a draft pick, the Oilers will have $18m+ in cap space taking Klef LTIR into account and 1m cap rise. 8m spent on Pulju/Yam/McLeod in your projection which might be a little low and there's 10m left to fill the 2nd pair RHD/goalie gap or just re-sign Kane and fill one of those holes. They don't need miracles if they move Barrie and take no salary back.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

did a new projection based on Stauffers hints today. I'm assuming Kane is gone, and for now, I'm trading Barrie for a draft pick.

I'm signing Mcleod to the yamo/pulju deals of 2x 1.175 and I'm giving those players 2 x 3.5 each. Maybe reasonable? Maybe not? I'm not sure

The Following roster needs a 13th forward and 2nd pair right shot dman, as well as an upgrade in goaltending. 6m in cap space remains (2.2 could also go out if you're somehow moving Smith in that tending upgrade).

McLeod-McDavid-Yamo
Hyman-Draisaitl-Pulju
Foegele-RNH-Holloway
Shore-Ryan-Kassian

Nurse-Ceci
Keith-
Broberg-Bouchard
Niemo

Smith
Skinner

If you can move both Smith and Kassian as well, you have 11.4m for a dman, goalie and 13th forward. That's reasonable.

If you want to upgrade Foegele, you're looking at paying a hefty price to trade him for a player with retention.

2) Kane wins his case against the Sharks. Can sign here for league min while the Sharks pay him
3) Smithers retires.

I think your numbers are off. If you're trading Barrie for a draft pick, the Oilers will have $18m+ in cap space taking Klef LTIR into account and 1m cap rise. 8m spent on Pulju/Yam/McLeod in your projection which might be a little low and there's 10m left to fill the 2nd pair RHD/goalie gap or just re-sign Kane and fill one of those holes. They don't need miracles if they move Barrie and take no salary back.

May be a miracle if we can move Barrie without taking cap back. The cap is going up only $1M, and lots of teams are tight. The other thing we're not considering is what a shark Puljularvi's agent is, we may be able to sell Yam on a bridge deal for $3-3.5 but that guy is going to ask for the moon. Smith and Kassian may need to be buyouts if we need to clear their cap.

I wonder if we'd also move Foegele for a piece or cap savings after an underwhelming season. Holloway is a left wing, so I'd move him to Connor's line and put McLeod with RNH or centering the 4th line. Hyman can switch sides but he's so effective from the left, I don't see a reason to do so.

In the miracle section, if Klefbom also retires would that clear more space?

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

McLeod-McDavid-Yamo
Hyman-Draisaitl-Pulju
Foegele-RNH-Holloway
Shore-Ryan-Kassian

Nurse-Ceci
Keith-
Broberg-Bouchard
Niemo

Smith
Skinner

3) Smithers retires.

I used the cap friendly armchair GM. I bumped up the cap by 1m. Are you factoring in the the over 4m in dead cap (sekera, lucic, neal)?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I used the cap friendly armchair GM. I bumped up the cap by 1m. Are you factoring in the the over 4m in dead cap (sekera, lucic, neal)?
Klef LTIR. Cap friendly calculates the dead cap into their projection which would leave 9m in cap space without the LTIR and cap rise so the Oilers will have approximately 14m to work with when accounting for cap rise and LTIR.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Klef LTIR. Cap friendly calculates the dead cap into their projection which would leave 9m in cap space without the LTIR and cap rise so the Oilers will have approximately 14m to work with when accounting for cap rise and LTIR.
That was factored in too. Maybe what you're missing then is the contracts of guys like Skinner, Broberg, Nemo etc. called up? Because the math is solid on what I did.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
That was factored in too. Maybe what you're missing then is the contracts of guys like Skinner, Broberg, Nemo etc. called up? Because the math is solid on what I did.
I don't think you did factor it in because you said there was only 6m in cap space left after trading Barrie and re-signing the RFA's for $8m total. If they trade Barrie for a pick, they'll have 18m in cap space which would leave 10m after those re-signings, the Klef LTIR is what you were missing.

I guess you can include those ELC's but I can't project those contracts to count against the cap until they actually do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad