Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Will Kane Want to Re-Sign Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie
Kane will inevitably become a black hole like he has the with the last 3 teams he was on. Use Kane money for a goalie. This team with a top 10 goaltender would be unreal.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
posters keep posting this but I will believe it when I see it

Pizza Boy will be easy to move yes

But Kassian with a cap hit of 3.2 for 2 more years? Foegle at 2.75 for 2 years as well? HE could be easier. But Barrie at 4.5 for those 2 years as well will be difficult--yeah I know--some posters will say their will be teams lining up at his back door to get at him---but I have never been a fan of his

I think these players should be movable. I think theres a team out there thats heavy into analytics that would take JP. Carolina for example. That being said, I think the team has to figure out what his contract is. He might not end up making that much next year and I think hes still a useful player. This team could use cheap and useful players. I know hes had a disappointing end of season, but I dont think this is a player you dump for nothing or very little return.

Kassian is probably the hardest one to move. I dont know if he has value or not. I would argue that he either has negative value or no value. I think Holland is paid 5 million a year to figure how what to do with this player. His contract sucks for what he brings but at the same time, its also not a crippling contract for a good amount of teams. Kassian is a unique player, so there may be some team willing to roll the dice on him. But hes so inconsistent that I doubt theres much interest. I wish Holland had tried to move this player already, but somehow I get the feeling that he has never even tried.

I think theres a team out there that would take a flyer on Foegele for a draft pick. What that draft pick is, I dont know. Contract kind of sucks for what he brings but at the same time, not crippling for a lot of teams. I think theres a useful player in there but he hasnt been that great for us unfortunately.

I think Barries actually been pretty good since Woodcroft took over. Kulak and Barrie is a pairing that works. I dont like paying a third pairing guy 4.5mil but I think hes a player we dont have to be desperate to move if theres no deal to be made. Not saying he has a lot of value, but I think he could be moved if the team wants to move him. He puts up points and I think he could improve another teams PP. He also seems like a solid dude.

The bigger question for me is, what does Holland think of this team? Who does he think needs to be moved in the offseason? Does he have anything planned for Keith/Smith contracts?

NoDust33

Apr 11, 2016
Kane will inevitably become a black hole like he has the with the last 3 teams he was on. Use Kane money for a goalie. This team with a top 10 goaltender would be unreal.
How would you replace Kane and what he brings to that forward group? No one has ever come close to this rate of production with 97 or 29 their entire careers.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is a question

Do you sign Kane or spent that money in net in the off season?

A Smith/Skinner combo scares me--I like Skinner but If Smith goes down again--I do not think he is ready for the NHL 80% work load

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
You are also missing though that instead of having a first round pick in your lineup in two years on an ELC you are having to bring in a UFA for 4 times the amount. Makes no sense.
Okay, but drafting super late first Round isn’t going to get us an NHL ready player in 2 years?

here is a question

Do you sign Kane or spent that money in net in the off season?

A Smith/Skinner combo scares me--I like Skinner but If Smith goes down again--I do not think he is ready for the NHL 80% work load
There really isn’t an good goalie free agents out there is the problem. It’s Kuemper and Campbell, both guys who haven’t proven to crumble under pressure and be injury prone. Maybe some trade targets but they don’t make all that much, at least the available guys.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Neither of these will move the needle in playoffs time. Shut down McDrai, neither of these guys will step up. I gotta agree with BBO, we gotta get Necas. I think his game will mesh well with either McDavid or Drai. I see this Teravainen/E. Lindholm break out from him soon
I love the idea, but how different is Necas from Ryan Strome when we acquired him? He wants to play in the middle, which means we'd be probably putting him in the same situation we put Strome in.

These breakouts happen when players get better offensive opportunity. Strome plays primary minutes with Panarin for the most part. Teravainen with Aho. Lindholm on a top line with Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

I don't think that's where Edmonton should be focusing their attention. Particularly when the fourth line has been a complete liability in these playoffs.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
How would you replace Kane and what he brings to that forward group? No one has ever come close to this rate of production with 97 or 29 their entire careers.
You won't. You try to offset the loss by improving the depth of the roster.

Improve the third line, lock up Kulak or acquire a reliable veteran D. Potentially upgrade on Skinner.

The role Kane fills is a very favorable situation for an offensive forward. No reason you can't continue the trend of bringing in another Barrie or Kane on a short show-me type deal.

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
There are 2 deals I want the Oilers to explore heavily into the offseason.

Nurse to Buffalo, the Sabres are looking for a #1-ish defenseman to help Power along in his NHL career, Nurse fits that bill for them (in general) and think the price might be right. Deal, in my mind, would look something like

Nurse, 2022 1st for Girgensons and Panther's 2022 1st and rights to Brett Murray

Then find a deal, through Arizona imo, to deal Smith to the Panthers for Bobrovksy. Arizona always need cap help and the Panthers were looking to transition, especially with Bobrosky's cap hit.

Smith is a veteran "battler" to support Spencer Knight and Bobrovsky is a legit starting goalie.

Not sure what the deal looks like, but I think it could work. Free up some space and then add in different areas.

A deal might look like

To Edm: Bobrovksy ($2M retained by FLA, 'ideally' $4M retained by Arizona)

To Ari: Puljujarvi & Klefbom ++ and something from Florida

To Fla: Smith and stuff.

Last edited:

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
They need to use 7D. The less minutes they give Nurse the more of a chance they have to win.

Also, maybe try to use Brassard?? He is better than Archibald and Kassian.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well that’s weird. Another prospect that Holland has abandoned or doesn’t want to be here. Blumel was another. Not sure if understand.

Makes sense considering Fanti and Rodrigue are in the mix and i wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers signed a veteran goalie to play in the AHL if Smith or Skinner falters/injury next year. Someone like Domingue or Kinkaid

I don’t know. Seems like Rodrigue hasn’t done much since being drafted. Seems like Konovalov has more potential than Rodrigue. But that statement seems legit but who knows. Not great for the Oilers,

Reactions: dawunderboy

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
They need to use 7D. The less minutes they give Nurse the more of a chance they have to win.

Also, maybe try to use Brassard?? He is better than Archibald and Kassian.
Is Brassard even with the team? I see him nowhere.

I would play Malone, Holloway before I put Brassard back in.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Well that’s weird. Another prospect that Holland has abandoned or doesn’t want to be here. Blumel was another. Not sure if understand.

I don’t know. Seems like Rodrigue hasn’t done much since being drafted. Seems like Konovalov has more potential than Rodrigue. But that statement seems legit but who knows. Not great for the Oilers,
Rodrigue's dad is the goalie coach of the Condors.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like Kane and would love him to remain an Oiler for the right price/term... But really, there is no way we can afford him.

Our defense and goaltending NEED to improve AND we will have difficulty signing the guys we have. Plus a few years out we got to start signing guys like Bouchard to potentially big money as well.

It just doesn't make sense to overpay for Kane when we have cheaper options coming down the pipeline and bigger needs than more scoring.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Like some have said, feels kind of weird.

Can't put my finger on it, why does this feel different from the other players that went back to play in the KHL?
Thought Konovalov wanted to ply his trade here.

You would think with what’s going on there, players wouldn’t want to play there this year. But hard to say, could be some family stuff at play.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I like Kane and would love him to remain an Oiler for the right price/term... But really, there is no way we can afford him.

Our defense and goaltending NEED to improve AND we will have difficulty signing the guys we have. Plus a few years out we got to start signing guys like Bouchard to potentially big money as well.

It just doesn't make sense to overpay for Kane when we have cheaper options coming down the pipeline and bigger needs than more scoring.
Yeah I think as much as Kane has bolstered the forward group, we have some pressing needs that also need to be addressed as far as middle pairing on D, 3rd-4th line. I don't think we can offer (and it wouldn't be smart to offer) Kane more than something in the neighborhood of $5m x 3, which other teams could easily beat.

Reactions: Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My guess, Re: Konavalov, is the KHL is interested, he's interested in securing more playing time, so this leaks to put pressure on the Oilers to give some guarantees and if not he goes to the KHL for a couple years, and maybe develops.

Not too concerned, I think the Oilers would still retain his rights, unless, he was outright released. Though he has one year left, so it might be one of those where the team doesn't see a future in the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad